The use of one's body

But fetal rights is the argument surrounding abortion. I know I'm stretching things but you have to take some things into account. Let's say the government says life begins at conception. Then you have to outlaw certain forms of birth control b/c fertilized eggs aren't given their chance to implant. Trust me, there are some groups out there who want Roe v Wade overturned for just that reason. Then there is the issue of citizenship. I am a US citizen b/c I was born here. If a fetus is considered a person, shouldn't they be a citizen? And if so does that mean every potential baby conceived in the USA is a citizen? There would be a whole lot of immigrants getting pregnant for that reason then.

The way to drop the number of abortions is simple. Teach people about safe sex. Abstinence only programs don't work. European countries are all pro-choice but have less abortions than the US b/c the people understand what to do to prevent pregnancy. Abstinence is the best way but using that as your only platform is just dumb. I'd venture to guess that 75% of kids who take abstinence pledges break them before they're married.

The government and legal system already has done that. Look at 94's question to you.

The bolded makes no sense, since they can do the same thing now, and just have the baby.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But fetal rights is the argument surrounding abortion. I know I'm stretching things but you have to take some things into account. Let's say the government says life begins at conception. Then you have to outlaw certain forms of birth control b/c fertilized eggs aren't given their chance to implant. Trust me, there are some groups out there who want Roe v Wade overturned for just that reason. Then there is the issue of citizenship. I am a US citizen b/c I was born here. If a fetus is considered a person, shouldn't they be a citizen? And if so does that mean every potential baby conceived in the USA is a citizen? There would be a whole lot of immigrants getting pregnant for that reason then.

The way to drop the number of abortions is simple. Teach people about safe sex. Abstinence only programs don't work. European countries are all pro-choice but have less abortions than the US b/c the people understand what to do to prevent pregnancy. Abstinence is the best way but using that as your only platform is just dumb. I'd venture to guess that 75% of kids who take abstinence pledges break them before they're married.

I agree with all of that, all valid concerns and points to consider. That is the type of reasonable, well thought out points that we need to discuss if we are going to talk about the issue.

But you were going a fair piece beyond "stretching things" with what you previously stated and when we toss about such unrealistic ideas I think it hurts the discussion.

Both sides of the abortion debate are guilty of inflamatory language, outrageous behavior and sometimes downright criminal actions. We can all usually separate ourselves from the most outlandish of these things and I think we all have a responsibility to "keep it real" so to speak in an effort to balance out some of the craziness that goes on out on the fringes.