November 29, 200718 yr Well Tubby was able to get that 98 team to buy into his style and win a title with it after they all were use to Pitinos running style.. So you're saying Tubby had fully implemented his style for the 1997-98 team? I suggest you look at their scoring average and rethink that. You continually act like as soon as a coach leaves, any impact he had on a program immediately leaves with him. Pitino had UK on top and Tubby benefitted. Tubby had UK in mediocrity and BCG is paying for it. Not too difficult of a concept.
November 29, 200718 yr Guys, this team is young, new system, new coach, dealing with injuries and will only get better. The one constant though, is the criticism some can't wait to heap....I'm constantly amazed at the UK fans. "We love our team"; "UK will be better this year" "Glad Tubby is gone and Gillispie is in" "Wait until we get this player or that player".... I'm not sure some fans want them to do well and when they look bad/or lose, the negative comments start spewing, with no regard. Do some of you watch the game to support UK or just to criticize. Amazes me, absolutely amazes me. It's no wonder, some players and coaches don't want to be a part of the UK program.
November 29, 200718 yr Guys. Tubby is gone. He's not walking back through that door. Can you forget about him, get behind the team we have now, and someday accept the fact that Tubby has faults just like every other coach.
November 29, 200718 yr So you're saying Tubby had fully implemented his style for the 1997-98 team? I suggest you look at their scoring average and rethink that. You continually act like as soon as a coach leaves, any impact he had on a program immediately leaves with him. Pitino had UK on top and Tubby benefitted. Tubby had UK in mediocrity and BCG is paying for it. Not too difficult of a concept. Yes I do think that! I mean they ran a lot of the same offense that we have always seemed from Tubby. As I have said before, the only reason why I think we won the title that year is because Tubby was coach, I dont think we win it with Rick that year. That was not the most talented team in the world, but actually fit Tubby's style perfectly. He had 2 big centers inside to have his little inside-out game. He had a PF in Padgett who was a good passer and could also go outside and shoot the three. And he had a pg, who was one of the best at taking people one on one in Turner. Which we all know Tubby always seemed to just let his players go more one on one. Then he had shooters to kick it out to in Sheppard, and Mills. That team fit what Tubby does perfectly. I dont believe with Pitinos style that we win it that year at all. So to answer your question, yes I do believe Tubby had pretty much firmly implemented his system into the 1998 team. I do give Pitino a little credit though for it, because he is the one who brought the players in. However for winning the title most of the credit should go to Tubby. It was his style that they ran, he is the one was running the practices, he was the one making the subs at different times in game, he was the one calling the plays at the end of those two close great games we had against Duke and Stanford. He is also the one who made the adjustments at halftime in all those game to get us to come back out and get the win. That 1998 title was Tubby's title plain and simple.. And you say I continually act like whatever impact a coach had on a program leaves with him? But when have I ever said that? All I have ever said was that things you all criticized Tubby for, you all should do the same for Billy G. I know you all were all over Tubby for his substitutions patterns, and his low scoring offense, and emphasis on defense. However Billy G might just have an even crazier sub pattern, and is going to have the same types of scores as Tubby. Billy G also has probably the worst home loss ever for UK now. So if you all were going to get on Tubby, Billy G deserves the same treatment. I mean there is enough talent on the team where they shouldn't have lost to a team like Gardner Webb...
November 29, 200718 yr Yes I do think that! I mean they ran a lot of the same offense that we have always seemed from Tubby. As I have said before, the only reason why I think we won the title that year is because Tubby was coach, I dont think we win it with Rick that year. That was not the most talented team in the world, but actually fit Tubby's style perfectly. He had 2 big centers inside to have his little inside-out game. He had a PF in Padgett who was a good passer and could also go outside and shoot the three. And he had a pg, who was one of the best at taking people one on one in Turner. Which we all know Tubby always seemed to just let his players go more one on one. Then he had shooters to kick it out to in Sheppard, and Mills. That team fit what Tubby does perfectly. I dont believe with Pitinos style that we win it that year at all. So to answer your question, yes I do believe Tubby had pretty much firmly implemented his system into the 1998 team. I do give Pitino a little credit though for it, because he is the one who brought the players in. However for winning the title most of the credit should go to Tubby. It was his style that they ran, he is the one was running the practices, he was the one making the subs at different times in game, he was the one calling the plays at the end of those two close great games we had against Duke and Stanford. He is also the one who made the adjustments at halftime in all those game to get us to come back out and get the win. That 1998 title was Tubby's title plain and simple.. And you say I continually act like whatever impact a coach had on a program leaves with him? But when have I ever said that? All I have ever said was that things you all criticized Tubby for, you all should do the same for Billy G. I know you all were all over Tubby for his substitutions patterns, and his low scoring offense, and emphasis on defense. However Billy G might just have an even crazier sub pattern, and is going to have the same types of scores as Tubby. Billy G also has probably the worst home loss ever for UK now. So if you all were going to get on Tubby, Billy G deserves the same treatment. I mean there is enough talent on the team where they shouldn't have lost to a team like Gardner Webb... :scared: Say what??:lol: Bammer Nolte could have won with that team. Rick had it in the bag in 97 had he decided to play Anderson.(whom the doctors had cleared to play.)
November 29, 200718 yr That was not the most talented team in the world... All I have ever said was that things you all criticized Tubby for, you all should do the same for Billy G. Number - Player - PPG 15 Sheppard, Jeff - 13.7 (NBA) 13 Mohammed, Nazr - 12.0 (NBA) 34 Padgett, Scott - 11.5 (NBA) 5 Turner Wayne - 9.3 (NBA) 3 Edwards, Allen - 9.2 14 Evans, Heshimu - 8.8 42 Magloire, Jamal - 5.2 (NBA) 21 Mills, Cameron - 4.4 11 Smith, Saul - 2.5 33 Bradley, Michael - 2.4 25 Anthony, Myron - 2.3 22 Hogan, Ryan - 1.1 4 Masiello, Steve - 0.6 Yeah... those players weren't very good. And I do say the same thing about Billy that I did about Tubby. I don't give either 100% of the blame/credit for their first season. Both are/were affected by what the previous coach left them (both in talent and coaching).
November 29, 200718 yr Number - Player - PPG 15 Sheppard, Jeff - 13.7 (NBA) 13 Mohammed, Nazr - 12.0 (NBA) 34 Padgett, Scott - 11.5 (NBA) 5 Turner Wayne - 9.3 (NBA) 3 Edwards, Allen - 9.2 14 Evans, Heshimu - 8.8 42 Magloire, Jamal - 5.2 (NBA) 21 Mills, Cameron - 4.4 11 Smith, Saul - 2.5 33 Bradley, Michael - 2.4 25 Anthony, Myron - 2.3 22 Hogan, Ryan - 1.1 4 Masiello, Steve - 0.6 Yeah... those players weren't very good. Nobody said that. But of the three straight final four teams, the '98 team was by far the least skilled/talented, that is not really debateable. Some just make it seem that was the most talented team in NCAA history, which is far from the case, even in that season. While some have logged time in the NBA, and Nazr and Magloire still do, it was not an all-American type led team.
November 29, 200718 yr One of the worst games I've watched this season, with an exception of the Gardener-Webb game...
November 29, 200718 yr I really wish Morehead State played UK this year...this would be the year we'd have a chance beating them:fight: Is this a serious statement? IMO There is no way that Morehead State could compete with Kentucky any season, I don't believe they have any McDonald's All American's on their team...
November 29, 200718 yr Guys. Tubby is gone. He's not walking back through that door. Can you forget about him, get behind the team we have now, and someday accept the fact that Tubby has faults just like every other coach. Are you willing to concede that Tubby is a heckuva coach? Recruiting, he had his problems. But HIS system was not the problem last year. Even though many wanted to say it was. A boring system. KY struggled to score 62 against STONY BROOK with BETTER players while Minnesota is scoring 71 against FLORIDA STATE. Was it the SYSTEM that was causing this. As far as the recruiting issues, the SR class was the EXACT type of class that the TBers wanted. Full of McD AA's and supposed talented players. How did that work out for UK? I fully expect Billy G to do well at UK. In fact, I expect him to have a very similar coaching resume at UK that Tubby had. But the supposed talented players are not as coachable as they are talented.
November 29, 200718 yr Are you willing to concede that Tubby is a heckuva coach? Recruiting, he had his problems. But HIS system was not the problem last year. Even though many wanted to say it was. A boring system. KY struggled to score 62 against STONY BROOK with BETTER players while Minnesota is scoring 71 against FLORIDA STATE. Was it the SYSTEM that was causing this. As far as the recruiting issues, the SR class was the EXACT type of class that the TBers wanted. Full of McD AA's and supposed talented players. How did that work out for UK? I fully expect Billy G to do well at UK. In fact, I expect him to have a very similar coaching resume at UK that Tubby had. But the supposed talented players are not as coachable as they are talented. I really think that was part of Tubby's problem, he didn't want the McD AA's, its like he couldn't coach them couldn't connect with them (not talking about Crawford because he is just lazy), he wanted the blue collar guys. Guys like Fitch, Daniels, Hays... Tubby wanted good players that he could turn into a great team and this was part of Tubby's demise, he thought he could take any players such as one's without a lot of talent and turn them into great teams and that's not the case. You can turn good players into a great team but you can't turn bad players into one.
November 29, 200718 yr Are you willing to concede that Tubby is a heckuva coach? Recruiting, he had his problems. But HIS system was not the problem last year. Even though many wanted to say it was. A boring system. KY struggled to score 62 against STONY BROOK with BETTER players while Minnesota is scoring 71 against FLORIDA STATE. Was it the SYSTEM that was causing this. As far as the recruiting issues, the SR class was the EXACT type of class that the TBers wanted. Full of McD AA's and supposed talented players. How did that work out for UK? I fully expect Billy G to do well at UK. In fact, I expect him to have a very similar coaching resume at UK that Tubby had. But the supposed talented players are not as coachable as they are talented. Please tell me who recruited Stevenson, Carter, Harris, Stewart, Porter, Williams, Perry,Coury, etc.... Are you blind to the fact at what shape OTS left UK in?
November 29, 200718 yr As far as the recruiting issues, the SR class was the EXACT type of class that the TBers wanted. Full of McD AA's and supposed talented players. How did that work out for UK? While that class may have been his best "recruiting" class, for what he brought in, I really feel that class ended up being his worst of any class, and was a big contributor in his demise... does that make any sense?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.