Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 62 Stony Brook 52

Featured Replies

I really think that was part of Tubby's problem' date=' he didn't want the McD AA's, its like he couldn't coach them couldn't connect with them (not talking about Crawford because he is just lazy), he wanted the blue collar guys. Guys like Fitch, Daniels, Hays... Tubby wanted good players that he could turn into a great team and this was part of Tubby's demise, he thought he could take any players such as one's without a lot of talent and turn them into great teams and that's not the case. You can turn good players into a great team but you can't turn bad players into one.[/quote']

 

I do think this was Tubby's issues. :thumb:

  • Replies 152
  • Views 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While that class may have been his best "recruiting" class, for what he brought in, I really feel that class ended up being his worst of any class, and was a big contributor in his demise... does that make any sense?

 

Absolutely and agree. That class works up to their hype and UK has the success the fans expect.

 

You had one that woudn't work hard, Morris. One that thought he was better than he is, Crawford. One that wasn't coachable, Rondo. And one that is a wildcard and you don't know what to expect, Ramel.

Absolutely and agree. That class works up to their hype and UK has the success the fans expect.

 

You had one that woudn't work hard, Morris. One that thought he was better than he is, Crawford. One that wasn't coachable, Rondo. And one that is a wildcard and you don't know what to expect, Ramel.

 

This would have been Rondo, Morris, Crawford, and Bradley's senior year. IMO, Tubby would have still been there coaching if the players where. Also IMO, Tubby would have gotten Patterson to play with them and maybe Lucas. This seasons jr. class was bad recruiting and with two of the Hamburger boys gone from the Senior class made it a bad year. What I am trying to say is Tubby is a very good coach and with a player staying here or there we would not be having this discussion.

This would have been Rondo, Morris, Crawford, and Bradley's senior year. IMO, Tubby would have still been there coaching if the players where. Also IMO, Tubby would have gotten Patterson to play with them and maybe Lucas. This seasons jr. class was bad recruiting and with two of the Hamburger boys gone from the Senior class made it a bad year. What I am trying to say is Tubby is a very good coach and with a player staying here or there we would not be having this discussion.

 

And what you mentino is the reason I believe Tubby wanted to stay away from the burger boys. Didn't want the constant turnover and turmoil. His system works best with players who know it (meaning jrs/srs) and are basketball smart.

 

That class is/was not basketball smart and did not have the time nor the inclination to learn the system.

And what you mentino is the reason I believe Tubby wanted to stay away from the burger boys. Didn't want the constant turnover and turmoil. His system works best with players who know it (meaning jrs/srs) and are basketball smart.

 

That class is/was not basketball smart and did not have the time nor the inclination to learn the system.

His problem wasn't a lack of desire to recruit elite talent. It was not having a viable backup plan when said talent picked another school...

And what you mentino is the reason I believe Tubby wanted to stay away from the burger boys. Didn't want the constant turnover and turmoil. His system works best with players who know it (meaning jrs/srs) and are basketball smart.

 

That class is/was not basketball smart and did not have the time nor the inclination to learn the system.

:thumb: Where on the same page. It is a lot easier to learn the system of any coach in 3-4 years and it is going to be the same with what BCG has now. He basically has all Freshmen when it comes to learning his system. Just as Tubby has now at Minn.
:thumb: Where on the same page. It is a lot easier to learn the system of any coach in 3-4 years and it is going to be the same with what BCG has now. He basically has all Freshmen when it comes to learning his system. Just as Tubby has now at Minn.

 

Yet, somehow Tubby seems to be having more success with his kids buying in and learning it than Billy G is.

His problem wasn't a lack of desire to recruit elite talent. It was not having a viable backup plan when said talent picked another school...

 

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Billy G. is going after elite talent. He also has backup plans when he doesn't get the exact player he wants. He is also having to completely break the players down in their defensive and offensive sets. Completely different defense than the Ball Line.

Billy G. is going after elite talent. He also has backup plans when he doesn't get the exact player he wants. He is also having to completely break the players down in their defensive and offensive sets. Completely different defense than the Ball Line.

 

You are correct. But almost every new coach has to do that. In fact, the new coach at MN is doing that and they seem to be having some success even though they are learning things new.

 

Does that mean Billy G cannot coach? I don't think so. I think he will turn out to be a good coach with success just like Tubby had.

 

I think a good number of the players that he had are not coachable. They know how to play and they are going to play their way, not the coaches. Billy G is going through the same thing Tubby went through.

 

Difference, Billy G has less loyalty to them because he didn't recruit them and it won't bother him to set their fanny on the bench.

His problem wasn't a lack of desire to recruit elite talent. It was not having a viable backup plan when said talent picked another school...

:thumb:

You are correct. But almost every new coach has to do that. In fact, the new coach at MN is doing that and they seem to be having some success even though they are learning things new.

 

Does that mean Billy G cannot coach? I don't think so. I think he will turn out to be a good coach with success just like Tubby had.

 

I think a good number of the players that he had are not coachable. They know how to play and they are going to play their way, not the coaches. Billy G is going through the same thing Tubby went through.

 

Difference, Billy G has less loyalty to them because he didn't recruit them and it won't bother him to set their fanny on the bench.

 

Agreed, Coach. :thumb:

Number - Player - PPG

15 Sheppard, Jeff - 13.7 (NBA)

13 Mohammed, Nazr - 12.0 (NBA)

34 Padgett, Scott - 11.5 (NBA)

5 Turner Wayne - 9.3 (NBA)

3 Edwards, Allen - 9.2

14 Evans, Heshimu - 8.8

42 Magloire, Jamal - 5.2 (NBA)

21 Mills, Cameron - 4.4

11 Smith, Saul - 2.5

33 Bradley, Michael - 2.4

25 Anthony, Myron - 2.3

22 Hogan, Ryan - 1.1

4 Masiello, Steve - 0.6

 

Yeah... those players weren't very good.

 

And I do say the same thing about Billy that I did about Tubby.

 

I don't give either 100% of the blame/credit for their first season. Both are/were affected by what the previous coach left them (both in talent and coaching).

 

Funny that that is the only part of my post you responded too...Also when did I say those players weren't any good? Also I guess I should have clarafied myself better when I said it was not the most talented team in the world. That team had talent, but was no where near as close as talented as the 96 and 97 teams, and was not the most talented team in 98 either. I mean that Duke team we beat was more talented than us, that UNC team that year was DEFINITELY more talaneted than us, and oh yeah pretty much the SAME ARIZONA TEAM THAT BEAT PITINO THE YEAR BEFORE WAS BACK, and they were more talented than are 1998 team. You all like to act like that 1998 team was the most talented team in the world and it wouldn't matter who coached them that they would win the title.

 

As I said to start off its funny that was the only thing you responded to in my post. I showed you how actually Tubby pretty much did have his system in place for it, and how actually those players fitted Tubby's style perfectly, but you had no response for that. And I also will say again that it was Tubby's style we ran, it was Tubby who was running the practices, Tubby who called the plays in the games, Tubby who made the subs in the game, Tubby who made the adjustments at halftime in the NCAA tournament games to help us win the NCAA title. I know I surely didn't see Pitino anywhere near that bench. As I said before I give Pitino a little credit, because he did bring those players in, but it definitely it Tubby's championship and not Pitino. Honestly it was kind of like this Tubby was the head coach, and Pitino was just the lead recruiter for him. However it was Tubby who did everything else to get us that 1998 title...

Funny that that is the only part of my post you responded too...Also when did I say those players weren't any good? Also I guess I should have clarafied myself better when I said it was not the most talented team in the world. That team had talent, but was no where near as close as talented as the 96 and 97 teams, and was not the most talented team in 98 either. I mean that Duke team we beat was more talented than us, that UNC team that year was DEFINITELY more talaneted than us, and oh yeah pretty much the SAME ARIZONA TEAM THAT BEAT PITINO THE YEAR BEFORE WAS BACK, and they were more talented than are 1998 team. You all like to act like that 1998 team was the most talented team in the world and it wouldn't matter who coached them that they would win the title.

 

As I said to start off its funny that was the only thing you responded to in my post. I showed you how actually Tubby pretty much did have his system in place for it, and how actually those players fitted Tubby's style perfectly, but you had no response for that. And I also will say again that it was Tubby's style we ran, it was Tubby who was running the practices, Tubby who called the plays in the games, Tubby who made the subs in the game, Tubby who made the adjustments at halftime in the NCAA tournament games to help us win the NCAA title. I know I surely didn't see Pitino anywhere near that bench. As I said before I give Pitino a little credit, because he did bring those players in, but it definitely it Tubby's championship and not Pitino. Honestly it was kind of like this Tubby was the head coach, and Pitino was just the lead recruiter for him. However it was Tubby who did everything else to get us that 1998 title...

 

 

I feel like I hear this out of you in every post you make on Bgpreps reffering to UK basketball.

Im not buying into your argument at all... :sleep::sleep::sleep:

Maybe that team was so good and well rounded they could have played under any coach and won that championship. If Tubbys "System" was so good like you tend to think, he would have won another championship...

His problem wasn't a lack of desire to recruit elite talent. It was not having a viable backup plan when said talent picked another school...

For what it's worth I agree.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.