Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gardner Webb 84 Kentucky 68

Featured Replies

Thursday, 6:30am in Lexington: The sun came up, kids got ready for school, parents were getting ready for work, drive-thrus were serving coffee, bus drivers were on routes, birds were singing, conversations were about Gardner-Webb but....The world didn't end, did it.

 

Plain and simple, UK got outplayed, out-hustled and thrashed at home. It's just one game and many fans will be both disappointed and thrilled, with this team. Not a good loss but part of getting better.

  • Replies 245
  • Views 27.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early Cat-astrophe

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3086328

Gardner-Webb coach: 'We did it for real'

Gardner-Webb coach Rick Scruggs had no idea what to expect from his players as he walked into the Rupp Arena locker room at halftime up 11 points over mighty Kentucky.

 

Scruggs, who used to coach at Pikeville College in the state, had always dreamed of playing against the Wildcats in Rupp.

 

Still, he had nothing. He wasn't sure what he was going to say, that is, until his cell phone rang.

 

"I felt it buzz and vibrate and I started laughing," Scruggs said, speaking by phone at 1 a.m. on Thursday morning while still inside Rupp Arena. "I told our guys, 'Should I pick up the phone and say I'm too busy to talk right now because we're kicking Kentucky?'"

 

"I tell you what," said sophomore guard and former walk-on Grayson Flittner, "it broke the ice. We were tense and we were excited about the first half, but when his phone rang and he didn't answer it, that broke the ice."

...

 

Gardner-Webb, which is leaving the Atlantic Sun for the Big South in 2008-09, was picked eighth in the conference by the media and coaches in the preseason. Could there really be seven better teams in the A-Sun than Gardner-Webb?

 

"I hope the league isn't strong enough that we're eighth or 10th, since we were picked that low by one publication," Scruggs said. "If we can beat Kentucky and can't beat some of them [in the A-Sun], then our [league] is going to be tough."

 

And with that, a few minutes later, Scruggs was off to the bus, heading back to Boiling Springs. He was on a bus, but it sure sounded like he was floating home.

Tubby would not have lost that game! Say what you want about him, I'd rather let him rest in peace in Minnesota, but he would not have lost to Gardner Webb!

 

Just like Tubby wouldn't lose to WKU a few year's back? Its early, upsets happen, its a new system, alot of young players... I'll personally take the extra 2 weeks of practice so that they can work on offense a little. Be patient.:thumb:

Compare the basketball tradition of the Hilltopers and Gardner Webb.

Compare the basketball tradition of the Hilltopers and Gardner Webb.

 

Compare the tradition of UK with everyone in college basketball.

I love how everyone trashes Ramel Bradley. It has been stated by various members of the team and coaching staff that Bradley is the best leader on the team. He is in no way a point guard, but is being forced to play an unnatural position. If any of you have ever played basketball, you know that there is a huge difference in playing the point guard and playing the shooting guard. He normally turns the ball over because he is trying to make something happen - btw, he only had 3 turnovers last night to go along with 3 assists and 1 steal. He also had 24 points and hit 11-11 free throws. I'm not sure why Bradley always gets the blame, because if UK is to have any success this season, Bradley will be a crucial element.

 

While I agree with you that Bradley is all heart and you have to admire the desire. It is the bad decision or turnover from trying to force a play that is not there that negates all of the positives. For every good play, which there are many, there are two boneheaded plays.

Was Gardner Webb were Tiny Archibald went? What NBAer played there?

 

 

 

"Tiny" went to Arizona Western College & UTEP.

 

Artis Gilmore

John Drew

Eddie Lee Wilkins

 

Those 3 all went to G Webb & played in the NBA.

Was Gardner Webb were Tiny Archibald went? What NBAer played there?

 

What NBA great calls Boiling Springs, NC (location of GW) his hometown?

I love how everyone trashes Ramel Bradley. It has been stated by various members of the team and coaching staff that Bradley is the best leader on the team. He is in no way a point guard, but is being forced to play an unnatural position. If any of you have ever played basketball, you know that there is a huge difference in playing the point guard and playing the shooting guard. He normally turns the ball over because he is trying to make something happen - btw, he only had 3 turnovers last night to go along with 3 assists and 1 steal. He also had 24 points and hit 11-11 free throws. I'm not sure why Bradley always gets the blame, because if UK is to have any success this season, Bradley will be a crucial element.

 

:thumb:Great Post! You pretty much said what I was going to say once I got done reading all these post talking about how everyone hates Bradley. I know I was someone who spent a lot of time dealing with people, because I was defending him. You are right Bradley definitely is the leader of this team. And he is playing a position that is not his natural position. But people need to realize that like it or not that even though he might not be the best pg, he is still are best option at pg. Even when Jasper is healthy he doesn't do to much to help the offense, because he can't score so people just lay off of him. People just need to learn to take the good with the bad when it comes to Bradley. Yeah there will be games when he will make A LOT of stupid mistakes, but there will be games when he does A LOT to help this team win. I mean everyone says how bad he is, but I don't think its a coincidence that now two different coaches Tubby and Billy G. pretty much have had him in for the whole game the last two years. So that must mean that they realize that he actually is an important part to this team, and plays harder than anyone else on the team.

What NBA great calls Boiling Springs, NC (location of GW) his hometown?

 

Any hints?

"Tiny" went to Arizona Western College & UTEP.

 

Artis Gilmore

John Drew

Eddie Lee Wilkins

 

Those 3 all went to G Webb & played in the NBA.

 

I wasn't aware until last night that GW used to be a JUCO.

I wasn't aware until last night that GW used to be a JUCO.
But it's the same as losing to WKU...
What NBA great calls Boiling Springs, NC (location of GW) his hometown?

 

David Thompson

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.