St. Xavier 24 Trinity 15

BuddyBW

You've brought to my attention a question. As I am aware of St. X's most recent 'sweeps' of this 3 game series, in 2005 (highlighted in Center Rocks avatar) and this year's sweep in 2007, when did Trinity last 'sweep' this series? Truly no flame intended, I'm just not aware of when/if T has won the 3 game series, and since the broom seems to be such a touchy issue with the T fanbase I'm guessing it has been awhile. I am very curious as to when did T last 'sweeep' this 3 game series.

I am curious as well. I thought Trinity had a sweep during Mike Wagners first few years as freshman coach. By the way, St.X swept Trinity in 2004 making it 3 of the past 4 years.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory says you are correct-I think both 2002 and 2003. I know the 06 Seniors (05 football year) lost JV and Frosh level games to the Rocks before winning regular season Varsity in 04 and 05. The 07 Seniors (06 football year) Tigers lost as Frosh but beat T at T JV year.

I just remembered that Trinity definitely did it in 2002 because the entire football program went undefeated. :scared:

Shamrock you have no idea who OX is and you are SO wrong on this post! :thumb:

No, I don't know who OX is, Nor does OX know who I am. So why would he assume I wouldn't be cheering for my team even when we are losing? After all, he doesn't know me.

No, I don't know who OX is, Nor does OX know who I am. So why would he assume I wouldn't be cheering for my team even when we are losing? After all, he doesn't know me.

He never said you weren't cheering...

It was just a game everybody, and a great game for the fans.

I think X had to win this game, they wanted it much more than the Rocks they needed it to keep their program in the up-right direction.

The Umbrella was an embarassing mommt for all fans, including Tiger Fans, Rock Fans and especially for Kentucky High School Sports.

I heard there was also a casket brought to this game by students just in case the tigers would have lost. Great game Tigers, keep up the good work and I hope you get the chance to see the Rocks again this year, just for your sake.:banana:

He never said you weren't cheering...

Do I understand by your statement that you are one of the vast horde of Trinity supporters who gave up the ghost on their team's chances halfway through the 4th Quarter and headed for the parking lot? :D

Sounds like he assumed I wasn't cheering to me.

Pick the stats that you want to embrace. Keep living in the past.

However Brohm, Hennesey and Tydlacka aren't playing this year.

Here's the stats from this year and this team.

Scoring St X 69 Trinity 35 ( all levels )

Turnovers in Losses- 7

Average points given up in 3 games against top teams- 33 (x,x, bg)

Number of T first downs while Cincy St X scored 28 straight points- 1

We only brought four (pass rushers) in the first half, then we went to five and then six. You saw what happened when we did that on that play," said Coach Specht( Cincy Saint X). "... We had to say, 'That's not us,' and we went back to what we do and tried to make them earn it."

Last 18 minutes against Cincy St X 34-7

First 27 minutes against Louisville St X- 14-3

Trinity points in the 19 minutes between Phillips TD's- 0

Average number of points in second half in losses this year -13

( adjustments ?)

Length of 3rd quarter punts in losses- 24,28,22,26

Rushing yards for Finch after the first carry- 124

Rushing yards for Cincy St X in second half-183 ( Tired?)

Kickoff touchbacks by St X's sophomore kicker -2

Kickoff touchbacks by T's senior kicker -1

Interceptions on this year-

Trinity 6

St X -0

Maybe the most important stat that reflects leadership

Heuser and Zoeller- starting against Trinity

3-0

I would suggest that you stop picking on our coach. Our coach is undefeated this year.

I disagree with him as to your side of the bracket,

We've seen a pretty good team from Lexington that may be the most talented team in Kentucky that may surprise you in the 4th round this year. Good luck making your adjustments.

If history doesn't matter, why do we record it? And if it doesn't matter how many State Championships a team as, why do we play for them?

Much like UK fans were accused last year of Obsessive Cards Disorder I feel some Trinity fans have a BAD case Obsessive Glaser Disorder.....

Yes, I believe the umbrella was a bit odd. However, in NO way do I believe that was classless or anything of the sort. I happen to see the umbrella come from the student section, not from Glaser and I saw him lay it down. I am not sure where the broom came from but that has been a symbol used in all sports by many teams over the years. As someone mentioned the Trinity players left quicker than a fire drill and nothing was done in front of them.

In short, to say any of the post game celebrations were classless is pure OGD. It was kids having fun and enjoying one small victory in their young lives.

Go Tigers.

#1 in State for now....hopefully we can say the same in December.

I happen to see the umbrella come from the student section, not from Glaser and I saw him lay it down.

In short, to say any of the post game celebrations were classless is pure OGD. It was kids having fun and enjoying one small victory in their young lives.

And yet another explanation of the spontaneous, student section inspired, motivational tool, this year's theme of overcoming, it was only kids umbrella prop.

This is getting good. Any other explanations about the umbrella? :lol:

Much like UK fans were accused last year of Obsessive Cards Disorder I feel some Trinity fans have a BAD case Obsessive Glaser Disorder.....

Yes, I believe the umbrella was a bit odd. However, in NO way do I believe that was classless or anything of the sort. I happen to see the umbrella come from the student section, not from Glaser and I saw him lay it down. I am not sure where the broom came from but that has been a symbol used in all sports by many teams over the years. As someone mentioned the Trinity players left quicker than a fire drill and nothing was done in front of them.

Go Tigers.

#1 in State for now....hopefully we can say the same in December.

I saw it as well and posted it earlier in this thread.

And yet another explanation of the spontaneous, student section inspired, motivational tool, this year's theme of overcoming, it was only kids umbrella prop.

This is getting good. Any other explanations about the umbrella? :lol:

238 posts and very few about the game. Joe has a great book if you want to read about the history. What grades would you give your team?

Running the football- St X-Brutscher didn't fill Zoeller's shoes in providing another running option- B - If I think A, I think Lex Catholic game.

Trinity B- It would be higher if they gave Tim P more chances. I thought Stein did a good job picking up the first downs running late.

Throwing the ball- St X- D 2 of 8 for 44 yards- 1 TD. Need to eliminate the dropped balls.

Trinity B- Fair early 8-16 at half but improved to 15-22 in second half. Throws were underneath with no deep balls. No more shovel passes.

Special Teams- St X - A-. Punt coverage good. Punts need more hang time. Touchbacks on 2 kickoffs. FG good. All PAT's good.

Trinity- F Missed PAT, Poor Punt coverage. Good Kickoff coverage.1 touchback. Fumbled Punt resulting in turnover.

Offensive Line- St X B+- Opened holes but WR's did not block down field. Need consistent play out of back up tackles. Pass protection was good. TE blocked well.

Trinity- D- Pressure on QB frequently to move away from pocket. Tipped pulling guard and tackle led to losses in backfield.

Coaching- St X B- defensive plan worked well. Offensive plan was efficient. Bad call on 3 rd down and 3 minutes left to put pass into double coverage.

Trinity- B- Used pass to control time of possession well thus saving defense. Adjustments in defending defensive pressure too late. Defensive scheme for coverage may have to be reviewed in some formations. Got feeling that Trinity kept something back. Disagree on the 2 point conversion but T faithful explained that would of allowed T to win if they convert and get onside Kick.

What do you think?

238 posts and very few about the game. Joe has a great book if you want to read about the history. What grades would you give your team?

Running the football- St X-Brutscher didn't fill Zoeller's shoes in providing another running option- B - If I think A, I think Lex Catholic game.

Trinity B- It would be higher if they gave Tim P more chances. I thought Stein did a good job picking up the first downs running late.

Throwing the ball- St X- D 2 of 8 for 44 yards- 1 TD. Need to eliminate the dropped balls.

Trinity B- Fair early 8-16 at half but improved to 15-22 in second half. Throws were underneath with no deep balls. No more shovel passes.

Special Teams- St X - A-. Punt coverage good. Punts need more hang time. Touchbacks on 2 kickoffs. FG good. All PAT's good.

Trinity- F Missed PAT, Poor Punt coverage. Good Kickoff coverage.1 touchback. Fumbled Punt resulting in turnover.

Offensive Line- St X B+- Opened holes but WR's did not block down field. Need consistent play out of back up tackles. Pass protection was good. TE blocked well.

Trinity- D- Pressure on QB frequently to move away from pocket. Tipped pulling guard and tackle led to losses in backfield.

Coaching- St X B- defensive plan worked well. Offensive plan was efficient. Bad call on 3 rd down and 3 minutes left to put pass into double coverage.

Trinity- B- Adjustments in defending defensive pressure too late. Got feeling that Trinity kept something back. Disagree on the 2 point conversion but T faithful explained that would of allowed T to win if they convert and get onside Kick.

What do you think?

Thanks for the post. It's tough sometimes to sift the wheat from the chaff. At the risk of being excoriated by the T and X faithful for butting my nose in the elite Louisville teams' business (it's happened before), I enjoy reading a cogent and insightful post about the actual game referenced by the thread title. Umbrellas, brooms, and merit scholars are at best tangential to the discussion; at worst totally irrelevant.

X 24, Trinity 15. Thanks to jimmyref (and to give credit where it is due, there are a few other informative posts scattered throughout this thread), I have some idea as to why the score was what it was.:thumb: