Volleyball question from Public School parent

Lunatic1

and those are the ones who will get college scholarships for volleyball . :ylsuper:

Probably, but I bet there are some that never play club volleyball that still get scholarships. I know of 2 this year from our school.

They play 4 months a year plus open gym in the spring in our county..plus camps in the summer. Then they play basketball 6 months a year plus summer ball and then camps..

The other 2 months are spent working on which sport they want to improve at...is there any volleyball clubs that start in March out there?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably, but I bet there are some that never play club volleyball that still get scholarships. I know of 2 this year from our school.

They play 4 months a year plus open gym in the spring in our county..plus camps in the summer. Then they play basketball 6 months a year plus summer ball and then camps..

The other 2 months are spent working on which sport they want to improve at...is there any volleyball clubs that start in March out there?

They must be phenomenal athletes because that is the exception to the rule.

Many clubs begin in March, so that the bball players can play. The only problem then becomes conflicts with aau bball.

After discussing recruiting with a div. 1 coach recently, it was said that they only recruit at the qualifiers and very large club tournaments. They have not the time to attend any high school games because of their own season in progress and the level of competition not being nearly as tough at the high school match (for the most part). They can have all they want at a qualifier. So, if you were wanting your daughter to be recruited in volleyball, she had better be heavily involved in the club game and attending the big tournaments.

and those are the ones who will get college scholarships for volleyball . :ylsuper:

I'm not beginning to say that playing club ball doesn't help players get scholarships. There is no question it does. BUT, how many kids give up basketball to play club ball and never get a smell for a scholarship. And in doing so they are deprived of participating in other sports while in high school. My point is unless the parents/player really feel the student has a very good chance to get a scholarship, playing club ball will cost the student the opportunity to play other sports and cost the family a lot of money. IMO the % of girls that get scholarships ( and I don't mean $500/yr) in relation to those that play club is very small. There just aren't that many scholarships to be had. The other point I was trying to make was a number of VB coaches tell the player they won't make the team, or at least their playing time will be liminited, if they don't play club ball. This forces kids to make a Volleyball/basketball decision when they are freshman and have no idea which way they want to go. It isn't fair to the player who isn't sure which they prefer, and unless they are TOP notch players at that time they are in no position to make that decision.

Many clubs begin in March, so that the bball players can play. The only problem then becomes conflicts with aau bball.

After discussing recruiting with a div. 1 coach recently, it was said that they only recruit at the qualifiers and very large club tournaments. They have not the time to attend any high school games because of their own season in progress and the level of competition not being nearly as tough at the high school match (for the most part). They can have all they want at a qualifier. So, if you were wanting your daughter to be recruited in volleyball, she had better be heavily involved in the club game and attending the big tournaments.

Can you direct me to some that start in March. I have not been able to find one.

Thanks -L1

All you have to do is go to the link provided below to the Pioneer Region of USA Volleyball. Find a club near you, call the club director and inquire on what teams they have playing. If they have any starting later or possibly get 7-8 girls who wanna start later and play under a current club name or start your own club. It is pretty easy. A majority of the tourneys in the Pioneer region start in March and last through Memorial Day. Costs are kept to a minimum if you start your own club. I'm sure you could find enough ladies to field a team that wants to play basketball and volleyball.

http://www.pioneervb.com/