*Walton (8th Region)*

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hargett averaged almost 20 ppg, 10 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game. I would say that is not too shabby. She was the leader in steals on her school team and AAU team!

Welcome to BGP BaldGuy and be sure to visit the New Member forum....thumb[1].gif

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/forumd...aysprune=&f=34

Read the "Everything a Rookie" thread and it will answer, any questions.

I would have to put Amber Girdy from Carroll County at the top of the list along with Kendall Cochran from Owen County. They are both fast and pretty good shooters. That is probably the ones from the 31st district that really stand out. Henry County has Means and she is pretty good also.

I am not sure about the other districts, I know names but I am not sure if they are guards...Heeger from WV, Jones from SO etc.

Who do you all think will be the top ten guards this year in the eight region?

1. Gray - Shelby

2. Jones - South Oldham

3. Tolliver - SK

4. Conley - SK

5. Girdy - CC

6. Cochran - Owen

7. Heeger - Walton

8. Gorby - Grant

9. Stith - Williamstown

10. Balsiger - Gallatin

I would slate Hargett (Wlaton) as a small forward, not a guard.

1. Gray - Shelby

2. Jones - South Oldham

3. Tolliver - SK

4. Conley - SK

5. Girdy - CC

6. Cochran - Owen

7. Heeger - Walton

8. Gorby - Grant

9. Stith - Williamstown

10. Balsiger - Gallatin

I would slate Hargett (Wlaton) as a small forward, not a guard.

I would consider Hargett a guard. If she is, where would she be in the list? (she would be one of the top)

I would consider Hargett a guard. If she is, where would she be in the list?

I guess if it depends if you consider the 3 spot a guard. In the games I have seen her, most of her points came from slashing through the lane or off put-backs. I haven't seen either of her coaches really use her at the point and I am not sure if her outside shot is good enough to be considered a 2 guard.

Back to the other question about guards...

Gray is the best. She has shooting range well beyond the three line and can create so much with her dribble. When she doesn't score, someone usually does as a result from her ability to drive the basketball.

SK probably has the best point and 2 guard combination in the region with Tolliver and Conley. They have both been in the varsity ranks since early middle school. One of their strongest points is they can both play either position. SK also uses one of the Figgins twins at the 2 when she isn't playing the three. Their offensive sets with the high number of threes jacked up is probably more of a three guard system.

I guess if it depends if you consider the 3 spot a guard. In the games I have seen her, most of her points came from slashing through the lane or off put-backs. I haven't seen either of her coaches really use her at the point and I am not sure if her outside shot is good enough to be considered a 2 guard.

Back to the other question about guards...

Gray is the best. She has shooting range well beyond the three line and can create so much with her dribble. When she doesn't score, someone usually does as a result from her ability to drive the basketball.

SK probably has the best point and 2 guard combination in the region with Tolliver and Conley. They have both been in the varsity ranks since early middle school. One of their strongest points is they can both play either position. SK also uses one of the Figgins twins at the 2 when she isn't playing the three. Their offensive sets with the high number of threes jacked up is probably more of a three guard system.

Will Shelby Co. beat up Simon Kenton this year again in the Regional Finals like last year? I think Simon will be the team to beat with there guard combo this year. Gray does have an unbelievable shot from the out side but 2 good players are sometimes better than one awesome player. Guess well have to see.

Hargett scores alot off taking it to the hoop, but I always think of a slasher is a guard. She handles the ball well when she drives so that makes me believe that she can handle the rock pretty good. But at the same time I also see your point. Not shooting three's or being the point could make you into a smalll forward player. I think Gray and Tolliver are the best two guards with Heeger from WV somewhere high on the list(shooter,lights out) and Cochran and Jones are always on the top end of the list in the 8th.

I should not judge a team by the regional tournament, because I would hate for that to happen to CC but when I watched SK in the regional (both games) they seemed like they ran out of steam the second half.

I thought that was why some of their 3's were not going in and why Shelby got the advantage. I had heard so many good things about them and I was a little disappointed.

They certainly seemed to have the fire power on the floor and more depth than any of the other teams. I hope to get to see them play in a regular season game this year.

• 3 months later...

I will break my down by point, 2 guard , and 3 which is a larger guard.

Point Guard- Raechelle Gray without a doubt is the best point in the region. She has a complete game- scoring, passing, defending. She is the best guard and overall player in the region as well IMO.

2 Guard- Chelsea Tolliver - great outside shooter and can drive as well. She is a pretty good defender- quick and physical. She can play the point as well but I don't think she can handle the ball as well as Gray can.

3 Guard- Lauren Jones - @ 5'10 she creates matchup problems for smaller guards who she then posts up. She can shoot the three, mid- range jumper, or drive it. Great free throw shooter- a very smart player who finds a way.