LCA 62 Williamsburg 28

Guest Bluto

Williamsburg has a very good QB and a great stable of receivers. W-burg was able to move the ball and I was impressed with how many passes were snagged by the receivers. As they mature they will be able to pick apart most defensive backfields.

Their pass protection was good, also.

There was very little pressure on the QB all night, maybe one sack. LCA is explosive, and jumped out quick...that took the wind out of the Jacket's sails. They seemed a little star-struck with the big atmosphere. Only 7 were scored on a subbed down defense. Offensively Williamsburg appeared to move the ball upand down the field with little difficulty, but seemed to turn it over or get a big penalty once across the 50 yard line. The defense and tackling were flat awful, and if that improves there will be some success in Williamsburg. The Jackets will win more than 3 games this year though.

I'm going to ink W'burg in for McCreary, Clinton, Pineville, Evarts and possibly Bath Co.. That would be 5, with probably one suprise. That would'nt be a bad year at all in restructuring. (I don't feel W'burg is rebuilding as much as replacing, which will cause some small problems this season but pay dividends next year.)

After having had a couple of days reflection here are some observations from the game:

1. Williamsburg will be fine on offense, nearly 500 yards against LCA. Ryan Moses did not have a great night, but it was better than average, and I think he matured in this one. Not bad, he didn't get the "deer in the headlights" look for starting his first game in a big city environment. I think as the season goes on he will continue to mature and impress.

2. Pretty decent running game by Williamsburg overall. I thought LCA was a bit soft in the front 7, I could be wrong though. Will Moses shows good speed but doesn't appear to see the field real well. As he matures he will need to see the lanes and hit them. # 23 carried once but is a step slow. Taylor did a good job finding openings for first downs on QB running plays, and Ryan Moses looked fairly good when he pulled the ball down to run.

3. Williamsburg's defensive front and backers seemed a step slow. Backers very hesitant and seemed to wait on the play instead of seeing it and attacking it. The exception appeared to be the Phillips kid, as he did come forward.

4. Williamsburg's youth and depth showed. The problem you are always going to have at such a small school is playing so many kids both ways. Williamsburg's offense can and will score, they probably should have had two more scores in this game. The solution the coaching staff will have to find is putting together a defense that can get just enough stops to let the offense outscore their opponents.

5. LCA is pretty dang good! I see them getting at least thru the 2nd round of the playoffs. They aren't as physical as I expected, but are very well disciplined, and excute the things they do very well.

Well, for what its worth that was my observation of this one. I look forward to seeing how Williamsburg looks in game 2 against McCreary. When I coached I always said the most signifigant improvement was between games 1 and 2.

Everything was really nice, but the PA guy was very annoying(sometimes). I know support is necessary for all bowls. But an Applebee's first down? That was almost comical.
LCA isn't unique in that regard. At Hopkinsville's bowl game, every first down by the home team was a "Toyota of Hopkinsville first down."

LCA isn't unique in that regard. At Hopkinsville's bowl game, every first down by the home team was a "Toyota of Hopkinsville first down."

I hate that stuff. Pretty soon it will be "The McDonald's 20 yard line" and "that sure was a nice A T & T punt return". :mad: