Beechwood 21 Dixie 17

congrats to Beechwood! Someone tell the Dixie coach two a days do pay off. Thought the Bwood "D" played an exceptional game, Slusher was impressive, Bessey and Mainello shut down the ends when needed. Sr. Chris Hoffman, despite injury played the game with heart. Elliot has to come to terms with his run and shoot style of passing needs work, looked good on pocket throws. Bankamper ran hard but lost a couple of balls This team is where it needs to be to achieve its lofty goals. Dixie, Boys take your coach out and flog him, he lost this game, not you. What a bonehead call on that late interception! And to field a team with that little stamina is an insult to the proud heritage that the Dixie teams have earned, Shame on you.

Hagerty, M:dancingpa aloney and the qb, great job

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So if this is one of Beechwood's best teams ever Guru, is Dixie that good, or did the Tigers have an off night?

I am going to back peddle, this is a very good Beechwood team but they have a long way to go. In my opinion Dixie and Beechwood are about equal.

I still can't believe that the Dixie community puts up with the conditioning issues year after year...With all of the three year starters that Dixie has there is no way a 1A school should beat them...I guess Spritsky is ok with getting beat up at the beginning of the year....I personally don't get it.:confused: :confused:

I am going to back peddle, this is a very good Beechwood team but they have a long way to go. In my opinion Dixie and Beechwood are about equal.
I didn't mean for that to be calling you out at all, sorry if it came out that way, I was just curious.

Since I didn't get to see any games last night or today, just trying to get a good feel for things. :thumb:

What an exciting game to watch to kick off the season, despite the game time. Dixie's got size on that line! Hadn't heard alot about their size this year. People talk about our big line, but they were right there with us!

Good Luck to both teams this year. Work out the kinks and run with what you've got!

congrats to Beechwood! Someone tell the Dixie coach two a days do pay off. Thought the Bwood "D" played an exceptional game, Slusher was impressive, Bessey and Mainello shut down the ends when needed. Sr. Chris Hoffman, despite injury played the game with heart. Elliot has to come to terms with his run and shoot style of passing needs work, looked good on pocket throws. Bankamper ran hard but lost a couple of balls This team is where it needs to be to achieve its lofty goals. Dixie, Boys take your coach out and flog him, he lost this game, not you. What a bonehead call on that late interception! And to field a team with that little stamina is an insult to the proud heritage that the Dixie teams have earned, Shame on you.

Hagerty, M:dancingpa aloney and the qb, great job

I agree if he told his QB to throw an INT.

Play calls are only part of the game, Execution is the most important.

Dixie will have a good year and in the world of woulda, coulda, shoulda, this is a game they probably win under the lights. It had to be hotter on the field this morning than it would have been last night. If the Beechies don't win 1A, I will be shocked. They'll have a bunch of boring games and must guard against complacency.

I still can't believe that the Dixie community puts up with the conditioning issues year after year...With all of the three year starters that Dixie has there is no way a 1A school should beat them...I guess Spritsky is ok with getting beat up at the beginning of the year....I personally don't get it.:confused: :confused:

Well, yes and no. It must be hard to keep kids in the program of some schools. Take for example that big 8th grader who was at turkeyfoot middle school (Dixie feeder school) and moved to Ft. Thomas. A couple of those kids can make a difference in a program. Plus, schools, like Bwood, have a tradition of winning and they attract kids as well.

Beechwood looked bad in pre-season. I know Highlands and Boone Co are excellent, however, a dropped pass when you are open etc. etc. are not always the result of the other team's play. It looked like more of the same after the first quarter today as Dixie pushed Beechwood around and Beechwood left the ball on the ground.

After the first quarter Beechwood found themselves and played better. With 5 minutes to go, I was satisfied that Beechwood had given a good effort against a skilled and very big, strong Dixie team.

But Beechwood did not think it was over and Cody Elliot went to work and pulled out the game, largely by his own effort and as stated elsewhere, partly due to Dixie tiring and a very questionable pass call.

Dixie has nothing to be ashamed of and I am not at all sure that the better team won. I expect Dixie to have a fine season.

Careful, that 1A school has been beating the bigger schools for yrs. I think, I know, BHS beat CCH one yr when they won 3A. Size of the school only gives a team numbers which isn't a bad thing but they have to be able to play. BHS has had and still does have great athletes and sometimes those few athletes can carry you a long way as Dixie saw today when Elliott took over.

Beechwood looked bad in pre-season. I know Highlands and Boone Co are excellent, however, a dropped pass when you are open etc. etc. are not always the result of the other team's play. It looked like more of the same after the first quarter today as Dixie pushed Beechwood around and Beechwood left the ball on the ground.

After the first quarter Beechwood found themselves and played better. With 5 minutes to go, I was satisfied that Beechwood had given a good effort against a skilled and very big, strong Dixie team.

But Beechwood did not think it was over and Cody Elliot went to work and pulled out the game, largely by his own effort and as stated elsewhere, partly due to Dixie tiring and a very questionable pass call.

Dixie has nothing to be ashamed of and I am not at all sure that the better team won. I expect Dixie to have a fine season.

I agree with most of the post. The Tigers had me worried after the scrimmage with Boone Co. and during the first quarter of today's game. However, they did find themselves and never gave up. Did the better team win? Naturally, I think so. They were pretty evenly matched at first, but the Tigers were in better physical shape. They simply out lasted Dixie.

Dixie has a lot of talent and will undoubtedly have a great year. By the way, that facility is BEAUTIFUL!

Whoever thought playing in the hot sun was better than playing under a dark sky, thanks!! :thumb:

As for the game, it was kinda what I expected for the first game. However, I didn't expect Dixie to play as well as they did the first quarter. They came out strong, and dominated the line of scrimmage. If not for a fumble, they probably would've went up 14-0. However, the conditioning issue kicked in, and Beechwood took over. I don't recall a single Beechwood player going down due to cramps.

Dixie's play calling again siezes to amaze me. They didn't go under center once, and ran 4 and 5 wide all morning. After the first two drives, Beechwood picked up the Dixie plays that were be yelled in, and they knew exactly what was going to happen before the ball was even snapped. Dixie did change how the plays were being sent in after the half, but it didn't really help. Malony played solid. Detmer was solid. Jett was very solid. His punts were very tight spirals, and they had very nice hang-time and distance. Dixie just needs some gunners to get down there a little faster. I still don't understand why he doesn't drop back five more yards on kickoffs to try to get a little more momentum into his kicks. However, he did put one into the endzone, but I think that was aided by some adrenaline after booting a 41 or 46 (can't remember exactly) yard fieldgoal. Bricking is still making the mistakes that a 3 year starter should not make. His eyes are still telling the db's exactly where he's going. He's still tries to make throws off his back foot (late INT). He takes sacks when he should throw it away, and when he does throw it away, he needs to be smart about it. The physical talent is there, but the mental side is still lacking. Hopefully he learns from this game, and moves forward.

The defense was solid early until they got tired. They were able to get into the backfield early and stop Beechwood. They tackled well early. However, when they got tired, their tackling got very sloppy. They were no longer getting into the backfield, and they were a step behind.

Beechwood was solid on both sides of the ball for their first game. Their line did get pushed around there in the first quarter, but after that, they controlled the line of scrimmage. Bankamper was his usual self. I was surprised that he didn't play more on the offensive side of the ball, especially late in the game. However, he played great on the defensive side. Elliot was shaky early, but was solid by games end. He throws a very nice deep ball, but everything short was way off the mark. His running abilities were the difference in the game, especially late. I don't know how he scored that last touchdown. There were 5 or 6 red jerseys in front of him ready to tackle him, and the next thing you know, he's running down the sideline and into the endzone. The only negative thing for Beechwood is their kicking game.

Beechwood will be Beechwood this year. There's no doubt in my mind that they shouldn't be playing for a state title this year, as they will only get better. Dixie has the potential for a very solid year, and the potential for a .500 season. However, that solid year will put them at second in the district, as there's no way they can keep up with Highlands' speed.

SM32, those dress socks have to go. :lol: