Rate the 16th region coaches.

I would say having integrity and discipline in your program looks pretty good on a coach's resume.

Two region finals after the celebrated transfers left (program was supposed to fold) is not too shabby.

I've never heard anyone say the program

was going to fold over losing the Faulkners. In fact , they received few personal awards the two years they were at Rose Hill. Russell's team this year was a loaded monster that stomped most teams early. But it's what you do in the post season that really counts when it comes to being a good coach. Bradley leading our under classmen dominated Kittens to a District championship was masterful. Merle not winning a District or Region either one , whether you think he has integrity or not, with that bunch of talented girls is a shame. This is a sport where winning in the post season is the name of the game. If Bill had had Russell's team, they would have won the state.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard anyone say the program

was going to fold over losing the Faulkners. In fact , they received few personal awards the two years they were at Rose Hill. Russell's team this year was a loaded monster that stomped most teams early. But it's what you do in the post season that really counts when it comes to being a good coach. Bradley leading our under classmen dominated Kittens to a District championship was masterful. Merle not winning a District or Region either one , whether you think he has integrity or not, with that bunch of talented girls is a shame. This is a sport where winning in the post season is the name of the game. If Bill had had Russell's team, they would have won the state.

Many many people thought Russell would fold up especially the year they left and Russell ended up in the finals versus Rowan County.

You are crazy if you dont think Kala Faulkner was not the best guard and maybe even the best player in the region her senior year.

Coach Bradley is a good coach.

How did he get in the discussion?

Rose Hill won the district not Ashland.

Ashland will have a great chance to win the region this season and have their name on the winners trophy.

Three district titles and two region finals in four years for Russell is pretty good in postseason though I am sure he wishes he could have gotten the team to Bowling Green.

I guess no credit should go to Rose Hill or Raceland.

Obviously you have a problem with Coach Kidwell.

I am sure he really cares:laugh:

Many many people thought Russell would fold up especially the year they left and Russell ended up in the finals versus Rowan County.

You are crazy if you dont think Kala Faulkner was not the best guard and maybe even the best player in the region her senior year.

Coach Bradley is a good coach.

How did he get in the discussion?

Rose Hill won the district not Ashland.

Ashland will have a great chance to win the region this season and have their name on the winners trophy.

Three district titles and two region finals in four years for Russell is pretty good in postseason though I am sure he wishes he could have gotten the team to Bowling Green.

I guess no credit should go to Rose Hill or Raceland.

Obviously you have a problem with Coach Kidwell.

I am sure he really cares:laugh:

With Okoro and Fortman on the team, how could anyone think they would fold? The discussion is over who the best coaches are in the region. My contention is that winning in the post season is the most important factor. I don't have any thing against Kidwell but he has not shown very good coaching ability in the post season. My opinion is that Euton is tops then Bradley and Trimble. Bradley is in the discussion because they did well in the post season as well as Raceland. I don't think losing the district and being runner up in the region means much. Tubby won a championship but it is what you have done lately that counts. If Bill Bradley had had the power house team Russell had this year Ashland would have at least went to state and probably won it. I did not say anything bad about the Faulkners. I agree that Kala was the best player her senior year easily. I think Britt was given a raw deal this year. My opinion is that Great coaches coach great in pressure situations. To me this is the main criteria for who the best coaches are. What do you think is most important?

Great talent makes great coaches. Numerous coaches have had far superior teams than the other person standing down the sidelines from them, yet time and time again....Team A beats Team B when it counts.

Great Coach of Team A makes nice adjustments, gives instructions and puts their players in positions to be successful. Most of the time it works and the TALENT prevails...then again, sometimes you can call time-out...sip a cup of water...gaze around at your players...say nothing, then watch your team go out and convert a 10-0 run with 2 three-pointers that bank in...a turnover by the other team results in a layup, etc. You get the picture...

Basketball is not like football, where MOST of the time bigger, faster, stronger...always wins...basketball can have upsets, runs of bad luck, etc.

There have been boys and girls teams in this region to be very well coached but choke in a district...there is no blame or excuse...just get beat. It happens.

Sometimes coaches are given too much credit IMO. There are some who couldn't teach the first defensive fundamental or fathom the thought of constructing an offense with continuity...but just run 'em out there, win team win....and they become great coaches.

Bottom line, until people have been in gymnasiums of all coaches during practice sessions, have them wired on the sidelines and in locker-room, and talk X's/O's and philosophies...saying who is a better coach over someone else is absurd. Go visit all of them, talk to them, call them on the phone...you'd be surprised that most would love to discuss it...then after that form an opinion.

Just a thought. No malice intended toward anyone. Just get tired of summer hoops wins/losses arguments, best coaches arguments, and 7 on 7 football champions = great things on the gridirion....get my drift?

Great talent makes great coaches. Numerous coaches have had far superior teams than the other person standing down the sidelines from them, yet time and time again....Team A beats Team B when it counts.

Great Coach of Team A makes nice adjustments, gives instructions and puts their players in positions to be successful. Most of the time it works and the TALENT prevails...then again, sometimes you can call time-out...sip a cup of water...gaze around at your players...say nothing, then watch your team go out and convert a 10-0 run with 2 three-pointers that bank in...a turnover by the other team results in a layup, etc. You get the picture...

Basketball is not like football, where MOST of the time bigger, faster, stronger...always wins...basketball can have upsets, runs of bad luck, etc.

There have been boys and girls teams in this region to be very well coached but choke in a district...there is no blame or excuse...just get beat. It happens.

Sometimes coaches are given too much credit IMO. There are some who couldn't teach the first defensive fundamental or fathom the thought of constructing an offense with continuity...but just run 'em out there, win team win....and they become great coaches.

Bottom line, until people have been in gymnasiums of all coaches during practice sessions, have them wired on the sidelines and in locker-room, and talk X's/O's and philosophies...saying who is a better coach over someone else is absurd. Go visit all of them, talk to them, call them on the phone...you'd be surprised that most would love to discuss it...then after that form an opinion.

Just a thought. No malice intended toward anyone. Just get tired of summer hoops wins/losses arguments, best coaches arguments, and 7 on 7 football champions = great things on the gridirion....get my drift?

Hey, I agree, and think I said something to support that somewhere around post #5.

With Okoro and Fortman on the team, how could anyone think they would fold? The discussion is over who the best coaches are in the region. My contention is that winning in the post season is the most important factor. I don't have any thing against Kidwell but he has not shown very good coaching ability in the post season. My opinion is that Euton is tops then Bradley and Trimble. Bradley is in the discussion because they did well in the post season as well as Raceland. I don't think losing the district and being runner up in the region means much. Tubby won a championship but it is what you have done lately that counts. If Bill Bradley had had the power house team Russell had this year Ashland would have at least went to state and probably won it. I did not say anything bad about the Faulkners. I agree that Kala was the best player her senior year easily. I think Britt was given a raw deal this year. My opinion is that Great coaches coach great in pressure situations. To me this is the main criteria for who the best coaches are. What do you think is most important?

13-5 in postseason past four seasons. End of discussion.

What is the overall record vs. each other team in the last 4-5 years? Russell, Rosehill, Ashland, Raceland, etc.

I think I remember hearing someone say Raceland win in district was first over Russell in a while (like 7-10 games?) Sorry thats only example I have, hoping someone else can help with other matchups?

Sorry aayswimfan but your arguement for Coach Bradley does not hold water! Love Coach Bradley to death personally, also think he is a really good coach but if you measure him by your criteria he is not!!! The first round region win this year was his first since ???? When was the last time he won the district ???? And your basing your criteria on this???

OK , I'll admit I'm biased for Ashland. I think in the next couple of years Ashland should win the region at least once with the experience and talent they have coming back. If they don't then I'm going to get back on here and say he stinks.

I'm going to enjoy watching him coach in pressure situations with talent. Other posts on here sound like they think luck is the main attribute of a great coach. I still think going to state is the most important thing.

OK , I'll admit I'm biased for Ashland. I think in the next couple of years Ashland should win the region at least once with the experience and talent they have coming back. If they don't then I'm going to get back on here and say he stinks.

I'm going to enjoy watching him coach in pressure situations with talent. Other posts on here sound like they think luck is the main attribute of a great coach. I still think going to state is the most important thing.

Players have nothing to do with who wins or loses games?:confused: :rolleyes:

Yes they do. Every year there is about three teams with talent and experience in the region. The great coaches are the ones who get there teams ready for the region and win to go to state. If the question had been who is the greatest coach in sixteenth region history, alot of people including myself would pick Hop Brown. Because he got his teams ready to play in post season and made the right choices then.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Hager Easterling (East Carter) - 1st class individual and in my view worked as hard as anyone to establish a program in the "shadow" of Hop's Lady Comets. In the long run he took East Carter to a level where they gained just as much respect.

2. Von Perry (West Carter) - Another class act as she took the reins from long time mentor Hop Brown after he lost his battle with his illness. Von has been able to maintain West Carter to be a top tier program, but as Hop wanted I believe, the West Carter program has raised the bar for the 16th Region and girls basketball in the region is better for it.

3. Pete Fraley (Boyd County) - As good as a X and O's guy in the region and truly has a passion for winning. Fraley is one of those coaches who has been able to transfer the energy he had for the boys game as player and coach (Much like Hager Easterling did) to girls basketball.

That's my Top 3 I personally believe this group is top notch, no offense to the rest, but in many ways this group is way ahead of the rest of the group.