April 9, 200719 yr That is the irony in the whole mess. The KY fans were in large part responsible in Tubby leaving, but they won't admit it, they want to wash their hands of it. Why won't they just stand up and say "Yes, Tubby sucked, and we spoke out until we got what we wanted" ? I could at least respect that. Because why is it the fans fault if a coach leaves because he's not performing? While some fans may have unrealistic expectations, Tubby was failing to meet even the realistic ones. Is a top 25 ranking too much to ask for? How about a win over ANY ranked team? No, those are not unrealistic expectations, but Tubby didn't get it done. Now, the fans are upset (rightfully so) and Tubby leaves. Instead of the attention focusing on Tubby's failure to produce, the media blasts away at the fan base. The best part is that not only do they blast the fans, they then go on to say the UK is not the program of old. WELL WHO'S FAULT IS THAT? UK was a great program 10 years ago, and if its not now, you've got one person to blame. So the media is downing the fans, and the program simultaneously. Yeah, thats not going to go over too well.
April 9, 200719 yr Because why is it the fans fault if a coach leaves because he's not performing? While some fans may have unrealistic expectations, Tubby was failing to meet even the realistic ones. Is a top 25 ranking too much to ask for? How about a win over ANY ranked team? No, those are not unrealistic expectations, but Tubby didn't get it done. Now, the fans are upset (rightfully so) and Tubby leaves. Instead of the attention focusing on Tubby's failure to produce, the media blasts away at the fan base. The best part is that not only do they blast the fans, they then go on to say the UK is not the program of old. WELL WHO'S FAULT IS THAT? UK was a great program 10 years ago, and if its not now, you've got one person to blame. So the media is downing the fans, and the program simultaneously. Yeah, thats not going to go over too well. Understatement of the decade...
April 9, 200719 yr Vitale tells it like it is. I don't agree with what he says all the time, but he makes sense. DV said that Wildcat fans are like Yankee fans, I know I Know, and it's true. For example, last week ARod was getting boos after an error he made and not getting a couple of crucial hits. Oh, when he hits that grand slam to win the game and another HR in another game, everythings OK. I seen that a lot this past season with the Cats. When they're wining, Tubby's the man, when they were knocked out of the tournament, he's gotta go. Like I said in an earlier post, a lot of teams would love to have 19-24 win seasons. If UK isn't in the Final Four every year, the coach has to go. Billy G, I hope you make it next year, for your sake.
April 9, 200719 yr Heaven forbid that Vitale give his opinion. Apparently his comments about SOME of the UK fans struck too close to home. Now he compliments the decision on who the new coach is and some change course, ... others see it as a ploy to regain the favor of those UK fans he so offended in the past few weeks. Geez! Personally, I like Vitale. I don't agree with everything he says, but I cannot think of one commentator I do agree 100% with on everything they say. I respect the man's passion for the game and those who coach and play it. He knows the game far more than I could ever pretend to know it. He brings a youthful enthusiasm that most don't have at half his age. If you don't agree with him, fine, however, that doesn't make him an 'idiot'. If you do agree with him, .. fine, but that doesn't make him a genius. He is just a basketball commentator with a love for the game. No more, no less. :thumb: :thumb: Very well said MT, great post. I guess that he offended the Tb'rs :eek: . I am a born and bred U.K. fan but I can take critisizm as well. If I think that it is unfair I will say so. Vitale told the truth about SOME U.K. fans, a small but very loud pct. that puts a black eye on all. I will say that imo Billy Donovan never had any intention of coming to U.K., he used it to drive his price up at UF, plain and simple. I am personally glad that Giilispie is our coach, he WANTS to be here:ylsuper: ....BIG difference from Donovan.
April 9, 200719 yr :laugh: Nice counter argument. Sorry I caused you to get all emotional, young feller. I've been a UK fan for a long, long time, much longer than you have been alive. So forgive me for laughing at the thought of you thinking you have earned the right to tell me to take my allegiance and go somewhere else. Puh-leez. My memory goes way back farther than the Pitino years. I know what the expectations are but I also know the realities. Over the last 45 years, with the exception of the three or four year span that Pitino ended with, Kentucky Basketball has not been the Nirvana that many of our fans want to think it has. Regardless, what Vitale said was dead on. Justified or not, the fans were largely responsible in Tubby leaving. Yes it was based on his performance. That is a given. IMO, you could argue it was the right thing or the wrong thing, but you can't deny the fact that it was the deciding factor. That is the irony in the whole mess. The KY fans were in large part responsible in Tubby leaving, but they won't admit it, they want to wash their hands of it. Why won't they just stand up and say "Yes, Tubby sucked, and we spoke out until we got what we wanted" ? I could at least respect that. I couldn't agree more. Everything that you have said here is true. Yes, I have also been a U.K. fan for many years and for some I guess they don't know that the game of basketball was played before Pitino anmd that U.K. had the strong tradition before Pitino and will have and have kept that tradition long after Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Smith and now Gilispie are here and gone (yes, I remember all of these coaches;) ). I love it when reading some posters comments, you would think that Pitino invented the game ....................Wrong!! It was Adolph Rupp!! :lol:
April 9, 200719 yr Everyone keeps saying that Tubby was this great coach, yet we weren't as good as we once were and its not the same UK? Ok we were elite when he arrived so isnt it safe to say he drove this bus strait into mid major level?
April 9, 200719 yr Everyone keeps saying that Tubby was this great coach, yet we weren't as good as we once were and its not the same UK? Ok we were elite when he arrived so isnt it safe to say he drove this bus strait into mid major level? Thats what I keep saying. Its one or the other. Either UK is still Elite, or Tubby didn't perform. Can't have it both ways.
April 9, 200719 yr I don't think that UK fans should care as to what other people think of their hire. I personally feel it is an awesome hire. Billy G will win, many, many games at UK..
April 9, 200719 yr My guess is that DV will probably get booed when he comes to Rupp next year. Please don't let us forget those CLASSY fans that we have that booed Sheray Thomas. I love UK, but to be honest, the bashers make me sick. Stand up and be proud of yourself for what you did to the Smith family. Billy G. doesn't have a wife who has feelings.
April 9, 200719 yr UK is very much still an elite program...2 below standard years doesn't make or break them. 26.3 wins a year, 1 NC, 5 SEC titles and 8 out of 10 years, either won the SEC regular season or Tournament...Tubby did absolutley nothing to bring this program down. He could have recruited better but had we left him alone and let him bring in the kind of players he wanted, he would have been just fine...The year we had the #1 class in America, is when things went from great to mediocre..I think he knew what he was doing and only went down a notch when he tried to appease the fans..
April 9, 200719 yr I don't think that UK fans should care as to what other people think of their hire. I personally feel it is an awesome hire. Billy G will win, many, many games at UK.. :thumb: That's my stance...Billy G will be an upgrade and a better fit, and the UK program will benefit from it. Tubby leaving was the best move for both parties involved, so there is no need in feeling sorry for one side and trying put down the other side. Things will work out better for all sides involved...shouldn't we be happy about that?
April 9, 200719 yr As a Duke fan, I love Dickie V. No person will match the enthusiasm and love he shows for college basketball. Forgive the man for showing respect when respect is due, but he also speaks his mind and tells the truth. UK hasn't been living up to its own standards for a few years now so forgive them man when he speaks on what he sees. The wine and cheese crowd is killing you guys. Don't get mad because the students are actually near the court at Cameron Indoor Arena and he loves being able to witness one of the great college basketball programs. A true lover of the college game would appreciate a game at Cameron. We hear all about Ashley Judd when he comes to Rupp, it's just too bad they can hold a conversation from across the arena because you guys don't get pumped anymore, or you're just too far away from the action. Dickie V. is the greatest and when he is accepted into the Hall of Fame one day like he should be, your comments about his idiocy and favortism will ring hollow. Would you prefer Billy Packer? You guys should be in good hands with Billy G., but how long until he wears out his welcome. I say his contract won't get renewed after his 7 years are over.
April 9, 200719 yr As a Duke fan, I love Dickie V. No person will match the enthusiasm and love he shows for college basketball. Forgive the man for showing respect when respect is due, but he also speaks his mind and tells the truth. UK hasn't been living up to its own standards for a few years now so forgive them man when he speaks on what he sees. The wine and cheese crowd is killing you guys. Don't get mad because the students are actually near the court at Cameron Indoor Arena and he loves being able to witness one of the great college basketball programs. A true lover of the college game would appreciate a game at Cameron. We hear all about Ashley Judd when he comes to Rupp, it's just too bad they can hold a conversation from across the arena because you guys don't get pumped anymore, or you're just too far away from the action. Dickie V. is the greatest and when he is accepted into the Hall of Fame one day like he should be, your comments about his idiocy and favortism will ring hollow. Would you prefer Billy Packer? You guys should be in good hands with Billy G., but how long until he wears out his welcome. I say his contract won't get renewed after his 7 years are over. If he leaves in 7 years for a better job, like the NBA, then, I'm all for it, cause that would mean he's been very successful at UK...If the AD lets him go under pressure from the fanbase, I don't think they'll let him play out his full 7...To me, there better be some solid results in the 1st 3-4 years...
April 9, 200719 yr I'm not a DV or a Rafferty (or whatever his name is) fan, if for no other reason that they seemed to feel they have to have some "schtick" to call the game. Dickie V has to yell and scream and throw his hands around like a drunk Italian and Rafferty's voice when he decides to scream makes me think he's just been goosed. Me, I prefer the guys that just call the game without the need for silly, almost amatuerish, antics. I'm sure they both know the game, I just wish they'd lose the silliness. Maybe my memory has failed, but I don't remember Al McGuire yelling or screaming or waiving his hands around like a nutcase. I just remember a guy that called a really good game. Sure, he'd get excitied once and a while, but no where near what Dickie V does. Heck Dickie V gets excited watching the players tie their shoes (is it an act?)Am I correct, or has my memory in re McGuire failed?
April 9, 200719 yr Because why is it the fans fault if a coach leaves because he's not performing? While some fans may have unrealistic expectations, Tubby was failing to meet even the realistic ones. Is a top 25 ranking too much to ask for? How about a win over ANY ranked team? No, those are not unrealistic expectations, but Tubby didn't get it done. Now, the fans are upset (rightfully so) and Tubby leaves. Instead of the attention focusing on Tubby's failure to produce, the media blasts away at the fan base. The best part is that not only do they blast the fans, they then go on to say the UK is not the program of old. WELL WHO'S FAULT IS THAT? UK was a great program 10 years ago, and if its not now, you've got one person to blame. So the media is downing the fans, and the program simultaneously. Yeah, thats not going to go over too well. :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.