Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vitale on UK hiring Billy G

Featured Replies

IMO Dickie V has burned his bridge in Lexington. I have a feeling that he is no longer going to be welcome or at least as welcomed as he once was.

 

This guy is supposed to be unbiased but then during the entire coaching search he basically goes on air and pleads with Donovan not to take the job and then talks very bad about the fans and the program about UK just because Tubby isnt there anymore. FYI Dicky Tubby walked out that door on his own no matter how much you or others would love to believe he was forced out or fired.

 

It was pretty sad to see a lot of media members flame out on the UK program and fans because the All Mighty Tubby Smith decided on his own to leave an take a lesser job. I think it was very unfair to the program and to the state of kentucky.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:laugh:

 

Nice counter argument. ;)

 

Sorry I caused you to get all emotional, young feller. I've been a UK fan for a long, long time, much longer than you have been alive. So forgive me for laughing at the thought of you thinking you have earned the right to tell me to take my allegiance and go somewhere else. Puh-leez.

 

My memory goes way back farther than the Pitino years. I know what the expectations are but I also know the realities. Over the last 45 years, with the exception of the three or four year span that Pitino ended with, Kentucky Basketball has not been the Nirvana that many of our fans want to think it has.

 

Regardless, what Vitale said was dead on. Justified or not, the fans were largely responsible in Tubby leaving. Yes it was based on his performance. That is a given. IMO, you could argue it was the right thing or the wrong thing, but you can't deny the fact that it was the deciding factor.

 

That is the irony in the whole mess. The KY fans were in large part responsible in Tubby leaving, but they won't admit it, they want to wash their hands of it. Why won't they just stand up and say "Yes, Tubby sucked, and we spoke out until we got what we wanted" ?

 

I could at least respect that.

 

 

I'll say it just for you Watusi...Tubby sucked and I'm darn glad he's gone. Now if the media would point out why the fans were upset as opposed to merely saying he was run out of the state, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's almost as if the national media is trying to perpetuate the stereotype of the "redneck hillbillies running that colored fella' outta town." Yes, we don't wear shoes, we smoke corncob pipes, we marry our cousins and we're all racists...now pass that jug of moonshine...:rolleyes:

UK is very much still an elite program...2 below standard years doesn't make or break them. 26.3 wins a year, 1 NC, 5 SEC titles and 8 out of 10 years, either won the SEC regular season or Tournament...Tubby did absolutley nothing to bring this program down. He could have recruited better but had we left him alone and let him bring in the kind of players he wanted, he would have been just fine...The year we had the #1 class in America, is when things went from great to mediocre..I think he knew what he was doing and only went down a notch when he tried to appease the fans..

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5 thumbs up here! Well said.

I'll say it just for you Watusi...Tubby sucked and I'm darn glad he's gone. Now if the media would point out why the fans were upset as opposed to merely saying he was run out of the state, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's almost as if the national media is trying to perpetuate the stereotype of the "redneck hillbillies running that colored fella' outta town." Yes, we don't wear shoes, we smoke corncob pipes, we marry our cousins and we're all racists...now pass that jug of moonshine...:rolleyes:

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :rolleyes:

I'll say it just for you Watusi...Tubby sucked and I'm darn glad he's gone. Now if the media would point out why the fans were upset as opposed to merely saying he was run out of the state, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's almost as if the national media is trying to perpetuate the stereotype of the "redneck hillbillies running that colored fella' outta town." Yes, we don't wear shoes, we smoke corncob pipes, we marry our cousins and we're all racists...now pass that jug of moonshine...:rolleyes:

 

I'm proud of you for trying, but you couldn't do it without throwing in some excuses, could you? :D

 

We already know WHY the TB'ers wanted him gone, that is a given. That wasn't my point. The point was that him leaving wasn't good enough. The TB'ers drove him away (whether or not you think it was justified) but when anyone points that out, everybody points in another direction.

 

Why is it that nobody wants to wear the scarlet letter?

You must not watch much TV. Vitale is far from being an idiot. You may not agree with what he says but "dumbest human being" and idiot are not even close to correct.

 

 

I watch T.V. all the time and that's what I'm basing my opinion on. He screams like a banshee the entire game about things that have nothing to do with the game at hand or basketball in general. Maybe not the dumbest human being, but in the top 3, and I don't care what he says about UK fans, or any other teams' fans for that matter.

Hoops you are a smart boy. I for one am ticked off at old man Vitale. I can't wait until he gets booed out of Rupp next year.

Hoops you are a smart boy. I for one am ticked off at old man Vitale. I can't wait until he gets booed out of Rupp next year.

 

 

Poor old thing, probably won't even realize he's getting booed. I can see it now,

"The passionate fans here at KY really love their Woo."

 

"Uhhhh.....he graduated last year Dick."

 

"It's awesome baby!!!"

HEY OOOOOOOO HEY OOOOOOOOOOOOO. THESE FANS HATE ME AND I LOVE THE PASSION BABY!!!!! IS THAT DELIVERY? IS THEY A 50 IN THAT? HEY OOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HEY OOOOOOOO HEY OOOOOOOOOOOOO. THESE FANS HATE ME AND I LOVE THE PASSION BABY!!!!! IS THAT DELIVERY? IS THEY A 50 IN THAT? HEY OOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

 

Law, buddy you are the life of the party, you make the crowd "lafe."

LOL, typical. He spoke what he, and many more, see as the truth. The radical fan base wanted Tubby gone, and then he leaves and everybody is looking to blame somebody else. I'll never understand it. :confused: Dicky V hit the nail on the head.

 

I like Dicky V, always have. I don't always agree with him, but I like him anyway.

 

 

I think he hit the nail, to an extent. He bashed the UK faithful for running Tubby out with our unrealistic expectations and he did so because he's a great friend to Tubby. This time Dickie V spoke from his heart instead of his brain, which he very rarely does. His friendship of Tubby led to his raving comments about the crazed UK fans. He failed to mention the fact that Tubby had told Minnesota he was interested in December when the Cats were doing just fine and the pressure on Tubby was minimal. In December the Cats had lost to some of the best teams in the country and had won 11 of 12 since and was doing just fine. He was planning to leave way before the pressure built late into the season. Now Tubby comes out of this whole situation smelling like roses and UK's fanbase looks like a bunch of crazed unrealistic lunitics, which 99% of them are not crazed, because of ESPN quote "experts" like Dickie V trashing UK's fans. They act as though Tubby was fired but he wasn't, he resigned from the position. Had decided he was going to leave back in December, long before the pressure built.

 

 

Overall, I like Dickie V. I think he's the most passionate person alive when in comes to college basketball and I think he's great for the game and brings tons of excitement to the sport. I didn't like the way he handled this situation and how he spoke from his heart instead of his brain but I would never boo him when he's at Rupp. He's always stated what a great program this is and what great fans UK has. Dickie has always been a big fan of UK and 1 comment does not changed all the great things he has said about UK in the past. Just look at the article he wrote on Gillespie being hired at UK to see how he repects UK.

UK's fanbase looks like a bunch of crazed unrealistic lunitics

 

Who are we going to blame for that?

a) Media

b) Tubby

c) Mitch

d) Duke

e) UKs Crazed Unrealistic Lunatic Fans

 

 

Had decided he was going to leave back in December, long before the pressure built.

Where did you get the December timeline? If you have a link, I'd like to read that for myself.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :rolleyes:

 

Right back at you...you keep lovin' Tubby, I'll keep being glad he's gone...now maybe I can stay awake during a UK game since Tubby Ball was quite a good cure for insomnia...:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

I'm proud of you for trying, but you couldn't do it without throwing in some excuses, could you? :D

 

We already know WHY the TB'ers wanted him gone, that is a given. That wasn't my point. The point was that him leaving wasn't good enough. The TB'ers drove him away (whether or not you think it was justified) but when anyone points that out, everybody points in another direction.

 

Why is it that nobody wants to wear the scarlet letter?

 

But the national media tends to ignore the reasons why and merely chooses to blast UK fans for running him out. The disgruntled fans would have to be a reason he chose to leave, but please point out why they are disgruntled. The talking heads want to make us all look like ignorant, redneck, racist hicks without saying so directly...we take our basketball seriously and the level the program had sunk to the last two years was unacceptable. Tubby's refusal to make any significant changes when it seemed apparent that some were needed and the incredibly boring brand of basketball he employed made the fans irate and disgruntled. When UK isn't ranked and isn't considered a contender for the Final Four, the fans will be very unhappy...that's just the way it is. Not making excuses or pointing in another direction, just saying why I wanted him gone and why I have been unhappy with his performance for the past 2+ seasons. Sign me, Tubby Basher and proud of it...:thumb:

Who are we going to blame for that?

a) Media

b) Tubby

c) Mitch

d) Duke

e) UKs Crazed Unrealistic Lunatic Fans

 

 

 

Where did you get the December timeline? If you have a link, I'd like to read that for myself.

 

Nobody is to blame but Tubby. He was the highest paid coach in basketball and he lost his mojo. He CLEARLY knew the expectations coming into UK after all he was an assistant once. You know that. He did well his first 5 years and met demand. However, he refused to change his style and recruit harder. Not too mention his assistants were a joke. STILL... he refused to make changes... with anythin in life there is always change. Almost every major company goes thru a new CEO at some point in time. The players stopped responding to Tubby.. he did not want to change his style. You can blame the fans all you want, but bottom line is he through the towel in. It was a great move for both parties. He can go to UM where decent results will be great, and UK can get back to greatness, where its the only outlet. UK was here before Tubby, UK will be there after Tubby.

 

Maybe your more compassionate then me. One of the many who felt sorry for Tubby. Its nothing personal, just business.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.