April 6, 200719 yr The Mr. Basketball's the Tubby got didn't really pan out, and the one he let go makes him look bad.
April 6, 200719 yr The Mr. Basketball's the Tubby got didn't really pan out, and the one he let go makes him look bad. The problem with that "rule", if they ever made such a rule, is that the Mr. Basketball Award is given to the best high school player. Many times there are guys who are better collegiate prospects that don't have the careers of a Mr. Basketball...I mean, imagine if there were four straight Brandon Stockton's that won Mr. Basketball and we had those type of players taking up 4 roster spots and scholarships. It would be a major hinderance for the coach. Simply put, I think it would be absurd to make Mr. Basketball an automatic recruit at UK and I'm 99.9% that it would never happen. I would love to see some Kentucky kids on the roster. Hopefully, Gillespie will recruit some elite talent and mix in some good solid Kentucky kids with them...that would be ideal, IMO. Also, hopefully, when UK produces some elite talent, he won't let it escape the state.
April 6, 200719 yr A big time Texas pipeline to UK is not a good thing for the rest of college basketball. I'll be very interested in who he has join the staff, and what ties they have to the east coast and midwest... That would be very beneficial to UK. If he could manage to win a lot of recruiting battles in Texas (and he seems to have great connections there) and then basically hold serve in the Kentucky/Tennessee/Ohio area, the talent coming into UK would be good. For what its worth, Kentucky fans should be hoping that A&M hires a dud to replace Gillispie, so that the only real in-state competition for talent would be Texas.
April 6, 200719 yr A big time Texas pipeline to UK is not a good thing for the rest of college basketball. I'll be very interested in who he has join the staff, and what ties they have to the east coast and midwest... I think you are correct, very nice that he's well known in the state of Texas, and it will be interesting to see who else sit by him on the bench and what connections they have.
April 6, 200719 yr Question Scooter, how does the timetable for naming Mr. Basketball fit into your idea? UK simply holds a scholarship for that person named in early April? Also, what if there is a run on 5'10" guards winning it? Then you could have 4 of the players on scholarship running the same position and might not be able to help. Great in theory but not sure it is practical. UK had Sparks and Rondo leading the charge last season to double-digit losses. Not sure I saw anyone giving UK the benefit of the doubt through support of having two KY boys leading the way.
April 6, 200719 yr I think this idea is absurd and would severely handcuff a coach!! Curious however, if any other state makes their primary state university automaticly offer a scholorship to their state's Mr. Basketball??
April 6, 200719 yr A big time Texas pipeline to UK is not a good thing for the rest of college basketball. I'll be very interested in who he has join the staff, and what ties they have to the east coast and midwest... Dave Baker said that Calvin Brooks will be Gillispie's lead assistant. Brooks was the former head man at Houston in the mid 90's. There's your Texas connection/pipeline to Lexington. It's growing.
April 6, 200719 yr Dave Baker said that Calvin Brooks will be Gillispie's lead assistant. Brooks was the former head man at Houston in the mid 90's. There's your Texas connection/pipeline to Lexington. It's growing. Yikes...
April 6, 200719 yr By looking at Texas A&M's roster, it looks promising that he will recruit within Kentucky. On last years roster, A&M had 21 of 23 players from Texas. The other 2 players were from outside the US. Texas also has a bigger range of players to choose from. Last year the class of 2006 in the state of Texas there were (2) 5 star players, and (12) 4 star players. The state of Kentucky's 2006 top prospect was Jonathan Uchendu a 3 star player. (From scout.com) It's a little different
April 6, 200719 yr Well, boys, your potent rebuttals have convinced me that my idea concerning Mr. Basketball wouldn't work in this age of parity. I hereby stand corrected. Nonetheless, Gillispie should look for talent within the Commonwealth before looking elsewhere.
April 6, 200719 yr Well, boys, your potent rebuttals have convinced me that my idea concerning Mr. Basketball wouldn't work in this age of parity. I hereby stand corrected. Nonetheless, Gillispie should look for talent within the Commonwealth before looking elsewhere. With the same keen and insightful eye in looking at other states. No doubt that alot of coaches missed out on Chris Lofton and it would be wonderful to see him in the Blue and White. But Carrier and Stockton were definitely Mr. Basketball/UK busts. I think more often than not looking through the state, Mr. Basketballs would have been busts rather than successes. I do like your mindset of making GREAT KY HS talent a first priority. Get the best of the state as 1A and the best in the nation as 1B.
April 6, 200719 yr Well, boys, your potent rebuttals have convinced me that my idea concerning Mr. Basketball wouldn't work in this age of parity. I hereby stand corrected. Nonetheless, Gillispie should look for talent within the Commonwealth before looking elsewhere. And the good part is..he'll actually be able to recognize the talent.
April 6, 200719 yr I'm hearing Jai Lucas really likes Billy G and would have looked hard at AM if they hadn't already locked up Holmes. Jai was quoted as saying "UK got a steal in Gillispie." Wouldn't be surprised to see Lucas end up a Wildcat after all...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.