April 6, 200719 yr I hope he can really bring some great players in here! (I already like the fact that he just beat UL in Rupp Arena btw). If I am him I visit Patterson, Lucas, and Jordan right away. Go all out and try to land those 3. Then after that I think he should call the big 3 prospects in the state, Darius Miller, Bud Mackey, and Scotty Hopson. Then go from there. I wonder who his assistants will be also.
April 6, 200719 yr I hope he can really bring some great players in here! (I already like the fact that he just beat UL in Rupp Arena btw). If I am him I visit Patterson, Lucas, and Jordan right away. edit
April 6, 200719 yr I sincerely believe that UK should always offer a scholarship to Kentucky's Mr. Basketball. Most fans within the Commonwealth want to have some of our own wearing blue and white. It would play well with those fans, of which I am certainly one, to always make the offer. Whether it is accepted or not is up to the boy. Sometimes UK will get a fine player and sometimes it will get a lesser player. The level of talent on the team wouldn't suffer since UK often has a few "lesser" talents. Nonetheless, it would be a good way for Gillispie to gain the support of many fans who long for players who have real ties to the Bluegrass State.
April 6, 200719 yr I hope he can really bring some great players in here! (I already like the fact that he just beat UL in Rupp Arena btw). If I am him I visit Patterson, Lucas, and Jordan right away. Go all out and try to land those 3. Then after that I think he should call the big 3 prospects in the state, Darius Miller, Bud Mackey, and Scotty Hopson. Then go from there. I wonder who his assistants will be also. Jordans is possible but lucas and Patterson are sold...IMO:cool:
April 6, 200719 yr Gillespie has had 3 consecutive years with Top 20 recruiting classes, including this years class...
April 6, 200719 yr I sincerely believe that UK should always offer a scholarship to Kentucky's Mr. Basketball. Most fans within the Commonwealth want to have some of our own wearing blue and white. It would play well with those fans, of which I am certainly one, to always make the offer. Whether it is accepted or not is up to the boy. Sometimes UK will get a fine player and sometimes it will get a lesser player. The level of talent on the team wouldn't suffer since UK often has a few "lesser" talents. Nonetheless, it would be a good way for Gillispie to gain the support of many fans who long for players who have real ties to the Bluegrass State. Thats would be a great Idea... player would play hard to reach that scholarship...
April 6, 200719 yr Here's some background on Billy G. It's wikipedia, so take it with a grain-of-salt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Gillispie
April 6, 200719 yr Thats would be a great Idea... player would play hard to reach that scholarship... ...and then get personally destroyed by "UK fans" who cry about wasting scholarships. (See: Carrier or Stockton). Think Ervin Stepp could have played at UK(instead of the 2nd place finisher Dicky Beal)? The sentiment is strong. The logic is flawed IMO.
April 6, 200719 yr I sincerely believe that UK should always offer a scholarship to Kentucky's Mr. Basketball. Most fans within the Commonwealth want to have some of our own wearing blue and white. It would play well with those fans, of which I am certainly one, to always make the offer. Whether it is accepted or not is up to the boy. Sometimes UK will get a fine player and sometimes it will get a lesser player. The level of talent on the team wouldn't suffer since UK often has a few "lesser" talents. Nonetheless, it would be a good way for Gillispie to gain the support of many fans who long for players who have real ties to the Bluegrass State. Has Kentucky even named a Mr. Basketball yet? If so I somehow missed it if not, perhaps they should move up the timetable so that the UK coach would have time to consider them specifically for the recruiting class.
April 6, 200719 yr I agree with SB. That would be a great move by Gillispie. It would make him look like a true Kentucky team player.
April 6, 200719 yr ...and then get personally destroyed by "UK fans" who cry about wasting scholarships. (See: Carrier or Stockton). Think Ervin Stepp could have played at UK(instead of the 2nd place finisher Dicky Beal)? The sentiment is strong. The logic is flawed IMO. The logic is not flawed if you listen to many people on the street, in the bars, and in the churches. Formerly avid UK fans are now lukewarm UK fans, if that. Often, they mention, sometimes in less than repeatable terms, the fact that Kentucky lacks much of what gave them a reason for "hometown pride" in the past. Haven't you heard the statement that, if we must lose or achieve only moderately, at least let's do so with some of our homegrown boys? I still say an outsider like Gillispie can score some real points with the fans who will make or break him if he adopts this idea. As I said, sometimes it will be a good choice and sometimes it won't be a good choice. However, it will make a statement that needs to be made. This team is the Kentucky Wildcats and to Kentuckians that means more than just a name. As for fans "destroying" a Mr. Basketball, can the sentiment be any worse than what is the case now toward those on the team now taking a jersey away from Chris Lofton?
April 6, 200719 yr Here's Tx A&Ms 2007 recruits: Deandre Jordan - 7'0 240 C - ranked #8 prospect in the country by Rivals.com..His Jr stats were 16.5 pts, 14 rebounds, 7 blocks per game. He chose A&M over Florida, Indiana, LSU, Texas, Florida St, among others. BJ Holmes - 5'10 160 PG - ranked 50th best player in country by Hoop Scoop and 8th best player in Tx.. He averaged 17.2 pts, 7.8 assists, 5.7 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game. Chose A&M over Ga Tech, Kentucky, Texas, GTown, Charlotte and Miami, Fl. Nathan Walkup - 6'6 195 SF - ranked #1 SF in Texas, averaged 21.2 pts, 9.9 rebounds. Chose A&M over LSU, Texas, Memphis, Stanford, Rice and Miami, Fl. Derrek Lewis - 6'3 190 SG - Top 5 prospect in Oklahoma, Rated as a 3 star recruit by Rivals..Jr Year averaged 16.5 pts, 4.7 rebounds and made 65 3 pointers. Chose A&M over Creighton, Ok St, Tulsa.
April 6, 200719 yr Here's Tx A&Ms 2007 recruits: Deandre Jordan - 7'0 240 C - ranked #8 prospect in the country by Rivals.com..His Jr stats were 16.5 pts, 14 rebounds, 7 blocks per game. He chose A&M over Florida, Indiana, LSU, Texas, Florida St, among others. BJ Holmes - 5'10 160 PG - ranked 50th best player in country by Hoop Scoop and 8th best player in Tx.. He averaged 17.2 pts, 7.8 assists, 5.7 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game. Chose A&M over Ga Tech, Kentucky, Texas, GTown, Charlotte and Miami, Fl. Nathan Walkup - 6'6 195 SF - ranked #1 SF in Texas, averaged 21.2 pts, 9.9 rebounds. Chose A&M over LSU, Texas, Memphis, Stanford, Rice and Miami, Fl. Derrek Lewis - 6'3 190 SG - Top 5 prospect in Oklahoma, Rated as a 3 star recruit by Rivals..Jr Year averaged 16.5 pts, 4.7 rebounds and made 65 3 pointers. Chose A&M over Creighton, Ok St, Tulsa. I hope they follow Billy to UK.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.