Scott County 74 Bryan Station 69

Knew this one would be close. Congrats to Scott Co. We could see these two teams in the finals of the 11th region.:thumb:

Gosh, I hope not. I don't think I as a fan could take a 4th game. Neither of these two coaches want to play each other again. They are both hoping the other gets knocked off. Both coaches and teams have a tremendous amount of respect for each other. Since Jan 4th BS has only 4 loses, 1 to Ballard and 3 to SC.

I have a weird feeling that Station will be playing in Richmond in the 1st round and Model will be making the trip to Scott County....

Or it could be Tates Creek to SC and BS to Lex Cath. Who knows. A good draw in the 11th means you only have to beat 2 top 10 teams to win it instead of 3.

Observations:

1. I can't believe the fire marshall made them stop letting people in. It was full, but c'mon.

2. Station came out focused and ready to play tonight - no Mohawks like last year's district finals.

3. Scott Co's studs stepped up big tonight, but it was again Jimmy Warren's defense on Shelvin Mack along with Jordan Lee's rebounding that got the Cards the win.

4. Matt Walls took two charges tonight (he took 3 but one wasn't called).

5. There was a stretch in the 2nd quarter where Bud Mackey was all-universe. He scored 8 points - got 2 steals and took a charge in about 90 seconds. It was awesome.

6. This game was played above the rim. There were lots of blocked shots and high flying scores.

7. Station's press was as good as I've seen it all year. SC struggled to get the ball across half court at times.

8. I'd love for us to face Station a 4th time - that would mean we are in the regional finals!

Stats:

Bryan Station

Mack - 5/14 FG, 0/2 3FG, 7/8 FT, 17pts, 8rbs

Embry - 3/9 FG, 1/4 3FG, 10pts, 8 rbs

Jones - 7/12 FG, 3/6 3FG, 19pts, 3rbs

Lewis - 4/10 FG, 1/3 3FG, 13pts, 4rbs

Team: 23/62 FG = 37%

5/20 3FG = 25%

18/25 FT = 72%

38 Total Rebounds (14 Offensive)

6 Assists

21 Turnovers

Scott Co:

Walls - 7/17 FG, 4/9 3FG, 20 pts, 9 rbs

Mackey - 7/14 FG, 1/4 3FG, 23 pts, 8 rbs

Lee - 3/9 FG, 10 pts, 11 rbs

Team: 25/59 FG = 42%

6/17 3FG = 35%

18/27 FT = 67%

44 Total Rebounds (14 Offensive)

13 Assists

22 Turnovers

I have a weird feeling that Station will be playing in Richmond in the 1st round and Model will be making the trip to Scott County....

Model @ Scott County

Tates Creek @ Western Hills

Frankfort @ Madison Central

Bryan Station @ Lexington Catholic

I would love to see this draw!!!

My observations:

1. Scott Co should have had a 20 point lead at the half. The two most reliable ball handlers, Walls and Mackey, had 20 turnovers between them. If they had taken care of the ball in the 1st half the game would have been over.

2, Scott Co went ice cold for 6 min in the 2rd quarter. They were getting open 3 point shots. 4 trips the shot went in and rattled out. To SC's credit they kept playing hard in other phases of the game and played through it.

3. Scott Co won the game on the boards. They outrebounded one of the states best rebounding teams by 6.

4. Jimmy Warren did a great job on defense. He completely shut Mack down the first half.

5. Phares gave SC some pretty good minutes. They have a hard time playing him against quicker teams. He has a hard time guarding quickness. But BS had a hard time guarding Phares also.

6. Neither team played grea offensively but both playes great defense.

7. Justin Lee altered a ton of shots for SC.

8. Of the 3 officials I would grade two of the guys a B+ and the third a D-. I don't know the guy's name and I mean no disrespect but the guy that is a dead look alike ringer for Pee Wee Herman had a horrible game.

9. Billy Hicks and Champ Ligon earned their money tonight. It was a war.

My observations:

1. Scott Co should have had a 20 point lead at the half. The two most reliable ball handlers, Walls and Mackey, had 20 turnovers between them. If they had taken care of the ball in the 1st half the game would have been over.

2, Scott Co went ice cold for 6 min in the 2rd quarter. They were getting open 3 point shots. 4 trips the shot went in and rattled out. To SC's credit they kept playing hard in other phases of the game and played through it.

3. Scott Co won the game on the boards. They outrebounded one of the states best rebounding teams by 6.

4. Jimmy Warren did a great job on defense. He completely shut Mack down the first half.

5. Phares gave SC some pretty good minutes. They have a hard time playing him against quicker teams. He has a hard time guarding quickness. But BS had a hard time guarding Phares also.

6. Neither team played grea offensively but both playes great defense.

7. Justin Lee altered a ton of shots for SC.

8. Of the 3 officials I would grade two of the guys a B+ and the third a D-. I don't know the guy's name and I mean no disrespect but the guy that is a dead look alike ringer for Pee Wee Herman had a horrible game.

9. Billy Hicks and Champ Ligon earned their money tonight. It was a war.

I don't know that they had 20 turnovers, but you're right rojas. It seemed like the Cards tried to jump up in the air to pass the ball and BS got their hands on a LOT of passes. It could have been a blow out had we taken care of the ball. Station had a tough time scoring in the half court. It was offensive rebounds and scoring off turnovers where they got their points.

I should have made one more very important point. The fans and students of both teams were very well behaved. I was very proud of both school's fans. The only thing that disapointed me were a couple adults that are in administration at Bryan Station. There was only 4 reserved seats in the entire gym. They had 4 seats taped off for two very elderly ladies that had worked very hard to put this tournament on and a very elderly man and his daughter. One two seperate occassions BS administrators took the police tape off the seats and removed the coats in the seats. It was if they wanted to start a problem. Sometimes the students have to be the role models for the adults I guess.

I don't know that they had 20 turnovers, but you're right rojas. It seemed like the Cards tried to jump up in the air to pass the ball and BS got their hands on a LOT of passes. It could have been a blow out had we taken care of the ball. Station had a tough time scoring in the half court. It was offensive rebounds and scoring off turnovers where they got their points.

I was wrong. Mackey and Walls had 14 turnovers between them. That's still too many but BS's agressive physical defense had something to do with that.

The professor makes a good point though just a bit overstated. Scott County, Bryan Station, Lexington Catholic, Madison Central, and Tates Creek could each win the 1st, 3rd, 8th, 12th, 14th, 15th, or 16th regions with ease. Most of the other regions only have one team that could compete with these teams. I haven't even mentioned Henry Clay, who was also a Courier-Journal top 20 team all year. No other region comes close to the 11th this year, even the 7th. There are 5 top 10 teams in the 11th region tournament. There were a lot of politics envolved coming from Oldham County to have Scott Co moved into this already very tough region.