Calling All Moderates

jessb66

I know, you all knew I'd be here sooner or later! :lol:

Here's what I feel/think on choosing based upon the moral issues:

Whether a candidate is pro life, or pro choice, doesn't sway my vote. I feel the subject of abortion is not one that any president in the near future is going to be able to do anything about. At best, we're looking at least 10 years down the road before any changes occur in Roe vs. Wade. Even when/if RvW is overturned, it will NOT end abortion. I won't go into that any further, as really, it's another topic.

The issue of abortion is one I can impact, and should strive to impact, on a personal/local level. Legislating moral issues does not end the dillema. Educating the at-risk and providing alternatives will have a far greater impact on lessening the feeling of NEEDING abortion.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether a candidate is pro life, or pro choice, doesn't sway my vote. I feel the subject of abortion is not one that any president in the near future is going to be able to do anything about. At best, we're looking at least 10 years down the road before any changes occur in Roe vs. Wade. Even when/if RvW is overturned, it will NOT end abortion. I won't go into that any further, as really, it's another topic.

The issue of abortion is one I can impact, and should strive to impact, on a personal/local level. Legislating moral issues does not end the dillema. Educating the at-risk and providing alternatives will have a far greater impact on lessening the feeling of NEEDING abortion.

Absolute agree with the bolded and I know and realize that outlawing abortion does not solve the problem at all.

But the italics are issues that the President NOW can champion as issues and promote with the mindset that we are addressing these problems with a mindset of ending abortion when it becomes possible legally.

See I knew you were coming around to my conservative side.:D

Absolute agree with the bolded and I know and realize that outlawing abortion does not solve the problem at all.

But the italics are issues that the President NOW can champion as issues and promote with the mindset that we are addressing these problems with a mindset of ending abortion when it becomes possible legally.

See I knew you were coming around to my conservative side.:D

I've never changed my stance! :lol:

You just never looked past my anti-war-ness to consider I may not be a liberal after all! :D

I've never changed my stance! :lol:

You just never looked past my anti-war-ness to consider I may not be a liberal after all! :D

Not really, it is just more fun to call you a liberal.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In seriousness, I believe some would see my stance on abortion and immediately feel they know how I stand on all issues because I must be the label of "conservative." When in actuality, I believe I would be labeled a "liberal" on my feelings on dealing with the poor and those living in poverty.

So either the labeling doesn't work or I am a split personality.:D :fight: I need a new BGP identity of Sybil.

I would love to see three or four billionaires decide to collectively underwrite the beginning of such a party, with the idea of providing backing to candidates at the state and federal level. After one or two election cycles, the party would have enough press exposure to allow the candidates to raise the needed funds to campaign.

To use a sports related analogy, I would compare this to the startup of the AFL in the 60's. Looking back on it, I think the Hunt brothers would say that worked out pretty well.

Frances

I'm right with you and totally agree. I'm no expert on politics by any means, which is why I don't chime in too very much...I'm a little over my head with you ladies and gents on here. But, I do know enough about the two sides and my own views to know that neither really suit me very well. It usually ends up coming down to this...I tally up all the things on both sides that I don't agree with and then vote based on which side has less (giving weight obviously to some matters that I deem more important)...but, it's sad that a person has to do that. And I don't feel I'm the only one...

A middle ground party would cater to a bigger base, IMO...but like you said, it's gonna take some money, especially early on. The problem is, when they start getting outside money, then you start getting into that outside influence thing again and it would probably go downhill pretty quick...but it should if nothing else, reign everything back in a little.

Oh well...

I'd have to say the 4 biggest moderates are Edwards(D), Obama(D), Guiliana® and McCain®. It just so happens that when you look at current head-to-head polls, Guiliana beats all Democrat candidates and Obama beats all Repubican candidates with the exception of Guiliana. I think this just strengthens the view that voters are ready to vote for the middle.

The Americans for Democratic Reform which is a liberal advocacy group gives Obama a 95 percent liberal rating. Obama's rhetoric is centrist. His voting record is very very liberal.

Not saying anything just an observation that none of the candidates that you listed as being seen as moderate were pro-life. It seems whomever does the labeling have decided no pro-life candidates could be moderates. Or at least that in this case, none are.

Which leads to a question, can you have a stance on abortion and be considering a moderate? Either you are for allowing abortions to continue as is and as a form of birth control or you are not. How can their be a middle ground here? How can their be a moderate position? How can their be a compromise position?

I am NOT arguing or trying to be difficult but truly and honestly trying to get my mind around this moderate concept and what it truly means.

Hey Dad, I asked that question in post #30 and no one answered it then either.

My answer is no. For some reason pro-choice can be seen as moderate and pro-life is not seen as moderate.

... Will a pro-life candidate ever be perceived as a moderate by the public?

I think that is a great question, HHSDad.

Speaking only for myself, I can envision someone being Pro-Life and still falling into my definition of a Moderate.

I think that the candidate in question would have to be open to other social issues, as well as showing some sense of flexibility on the issue of abortion.

Contrast that with a candidate that is Pro-Life and staunchly conservative (i.e. Rick Santorum), and it looks like a distinction could be made.

Frances

That's exactly why I vote Republican most of the time. My feelings on several social issues aren't accepted by either party, so I rarely include those into my voting. I think you've hit a point that alot of people don't realize, that it's important when voting on issues to make sure you have a realistic view on what can actually be changed.