Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Job: Glasgow

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, Calico Jack said:

What?

In simpler terms, Glasgow dodged a bullet. 

  • Replies 171
  • Views 23.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Coach Preston
    Coach Preston

    Guys I know someone that was recently approached and offered a job that needs turning around. He asked for $25,000. The immediate response was no problem we can do that. I am not saying that is common

  • IF you truly want to be a HC, being a 2nd/3rd option doesn't matter.  Get in there, do the job and win.  Doesn't matter how you got there IMO. 

  • I’ll tell ya why he would leave hart co, the last 2 years he’s had teams full of covid holdovers and he won’t have that next year.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, FootballGuy1234 said:

In simpler terms, Glasgow dodged a bullet. 

Yeah, I picked that up, but in what ways would it have been a disaster? What bullet did they dodge?

1 hour ago, Calico Jack said:

Yeah, I picked that up, but in what ways would it have been a disaster? What bullet did they dodge?

I don’t want it to sound like I’m completely bashing the guy because that’s what it will be, so I just won’t give specifics.

4 hours ago, AppalachianTactician said:

Before this group his record was a combined 22-37.. I do not want to condemn this man, but I think Glasgow has better options available and should reach out to them. He obviously has created a stable program at Hart and as long as he is able to schedule the Cavernas, LaRues, Butlers, and Nelson Counties when they are down. I think he will continue to win 6-7 games a years there as momentum of winning may allow his team to feel confident and get 1 or 2 they may not be favored in. 

AT, I appreciate your thoughts on the process and figured you would be the best person to ask. This thread has only discussed the possibility of Arnett and Griffin being the frontrunners to land the job. As you mentioned in your previous post, Glasgow has had issues attracting coaches due to the reasons you listed. Do you have any different names that haven't been discussed as possibilities for this opening that you deemed to be better in your opinion?

17 minutes ago, BillNye said:

AT, I appreciate your thoughts on the process and figured you would be the best person to ask. This thread has only discussed the possibility of Arnett and Griffin being the frontrunners to land the job. As you mentioned in your previous post, Glasgow has had issues attracting coaches due to the reasons you listed. Do you have any different names that haven't discussed as possibilities for this opening that you deemed to be better in your opinion?

From what I hear, Those are the two obvious choices. They interviewed about 4 people and the other two weren't good fits(former Trigg Co. coach forgot his name but also coached at PT this past year, and a Greenwood assistant). I think we'll know more in the next couple days after Glasgow inevitably reaches out to Arnett.

Coach Griffin is a personal friend of mine, and he is a great guy. I think Glasgow, or Meade or whomever would have been getting a very good coach. His kids love him, and his kids play hard for him. Next year will be a "down" year compared to the last two. But he has a group coming from Middle School, that maybe better than this group that just set a school record for wins.

8 hours ago, AppalachianTactician said:

I am sure Coach Griffin is a good person, I have heard he is very egotistical, but who isn't? 

Let's not forget before these last couple of classes, which if I am not wrong won some sort of middle school state championship or were runners up or something, very talented group and would have been successful regardless of who was at the helm, again not taking anything away from Coach Griffin. He has had a great run the last 3 years with a 9-3, 13-1, and 12-1 record and as a result has been asked to speak at many coaching clinics and such and has been very cordial. This was an extraordinary group from Hart County and he has capitalized greatly. "you can't win without talent, but you can sure lose with it"  

Before this group his record was a combined 22-37.. I do not want to condemn this man, but I think Glasgow has better options available and should reach out to them. He obviously has created a stable program at Hart and as long as he is able to schedule the Cavernas, LaRues, Butlers, and Nelson Counties when they are down. I think he will continue to win 6-7 games a years there as momentum of winning may allow his team to feel confident and get 1 or 2 they may not be favored in. 

I like the concept of "would have been successful regardless of who was at the helm" paired immediately with "not taking anything away from Coach Griffin" when that's very obviously what you did with the rest of the sentence prior.  Every single individual year you just named would qualify as the best single season in the 30 years prior to that run, and it may be further than that - I only have access to the KHSAA records from 1990 on for the team.  I don't have a dog in the fight, but talented or no, there is skill that goes into leading a team to frankly historic success for the program.  It's quite a feat to just wave that away when there have been entire decades Hart County didn't win as much as they did in those three years.

Not to mention that if the argument is that he can only coach when he has a very talented group - well Glasgow historically has some pretty good talent.  My bottom line is that if he can win like this at Hart County - a program with absolutely no track record of success - he can likely win at a lot of places.  And that will remain true even if he rattles off 6-7 wins a year at a place that 7 was the highest in the (at least) 30 years prior.

4 hours ago, AppalachianTactician said:

From what I hear, Those are the two obvious choices. They interviewed about 4 people and the other two weren't good fits(former Trigg Co. coach forgot his name but also coached at PT this past year, and a Greenwood assistant). I think we'll know more in the next couple days after Glasgow inevitably reaches out to Arnett.

So Coach Coby Lewis is interested, he had success at Trigg and was either Oc for PT or helped with the passing game last couple years.

1 hour ago, DragonFire said:

I like the concept of "would have been successful regardless of who was at the helm" paired immediately with "not taking anything away from Coach Griffin" when that's very obviously what you did with the rest of the sentence prior.  Every single individual year you just named would qualify as the best single season in the 30 years prior to that run, and it may be further than that - I only have access to the KHSAA records from 1990 on for the team.  I don't have a dog in the fight, but talented or no, there is skill that goes into leading a team to frankly historic success for the program.  It's quite a feat to just wave that away when there have been entire decades Hart County didn't win as much as they did in those three years.

Not to mention that if the argument is that he can only coach when he has a very talented group - well Glasgow historically has some pretty good talent.  My bottom line is that if he can win like this at Hart County - a program with absolutely no track record of success - he can likely win at a lot of places.  And that will remain true even if he rattles off 6-7 wins a year at a place that 7 was the highest in the (at least) 30 years prior.

Annnnnnd….we have a winner.

8 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

Annnnnnd….we have a winner.

Too bad we won’t ever find out what he could’ve done at Glasgow. His opportunity to coach there has closed. 
Y’all can convince everyone of how good of a coach he is next year when he’s looking for the next school to use as a bargaining chip. Until then, let’s use this thread for updates or discussions for new or current candidates. 

5 minutes ago, FootballGuy1234 said:

Too bad we won’t ever find out what he could’ve done at Glasgow. His opportunity to coach there has closed. 
Y’all can convince everyone of how good of a coach he is next year when he’s looking for the next school to use as a bargaining chip. Until then, let’s use this thread for updates or discussions for new or current candidates. 

I think it’s fair to respond to natural discussion, which I was. As I said, I have no dog in the fight, I felt that post was worth responding to. 
 

But best of luck to Glasgow in their search. I suppose time will tell if they dodged a bullet when they were turned down by an allegedly inferior candidate. 

16 hours ago, BillNye said:

AT, I appreciate your thoughts on the process and figured you would be the best person to ask. This thread has only discussed the possibility of Arnett and Griffin being the frontrunners to land the job. As you mentioned in your previous post, Glasgow has had issues attracting coaches due to the reasons you listed. Do you have any different names that haven't been discussed as possibilities for this opening that you deemed to be better in your opinion?

Other names that were interested but decided to not pursue due to various reasons were allegedly Brad Hood from Allen (not sure why he would leave), Brandon Smith from South Warren (inquired, but I don't think was serious, also heard was at one point interested in Owensboro), Jason Foley from Southwestern (unsure of interest or motivation) several assistant coaches from prominent schools that would unfortunately have to take pay cuts to become a head coach. Not sure exactly what the stipend is I had heard that Coach Garmon was making in the $7500 range and maybe a little bit more for "field maintenance" and other programs were nearly double that in the area.

 

Better than those two guys... I mean I think the more I am around sports, I believe there are good coaches and bad coaches, sometimes there are better fits for programs due to personalities, but we don't really know until they get the kids, assistant coaches and community to buy in Honestly, this was the point I was attempting to make with Griffin, he has the kids at Hart county drinking the kool-aid, and has the ability I think to win 6-7 games a year even in down years with preferred scheduling, why would he leave that? Also heard he got that job at central office writing grants?

 

Coach Arnett seems to be a good fit. polished pedigree and history coaching kids with the similar demographics as Glasgow up there in Boyle, and has been a head coach before. has family in the area and would be the coach at Glasgow for 15+ years... seems like a slam dunk. My only concern would be the culture difference of expectations between the schools. I have heard they have football practice before school and baseball and track cancels practice in the spring for spring practice. not sure if little things like that would be able to be accomplished here, but maybe the culture can be a little more serious and players would buy into it

20 minutes ago, AppalachianTactician said:

Other names that were interested but decided to not pursue due to various reasons were allegedly Brad Hood from Allen (not sure why he would leave), Brandon Smith from South Warren (inquired, but I don't think was serious, also heard was at one point interested in Owensboro), Jason Foley from Southwestern (unsure of interest or motivation) several assistant coaches from prominent schools that would unfortunately have to take pay cuts to become a head coach. Not sure exactly what the stipend is I had heard that Coach Garmon was making in the $7500 range and maybe a little bit more for "field maintenance" and other programs were nearly double that in the area.

 

Better than those two guys... I mean I think the more I am around sports, I believe there are good coaches and bad coaches, sometimes there are better fits for programs due to personalities, but we don't really know until they get the kids, assistant coaches and community to buy in Honestly, this was the point I was attempting to make with Griffin, he has the kids at Hart county drinking the kool-aid, and has the ability I think to win 6-7 games a year even in down years with preferred scheduling, why would he leave that? Also heard he got that job at central office writing grants?

 

Coach Arnett seems to be a good fit. polished pedigree and history coaching kids with the similar demographics as Glasgow up there in Boyle, and has been a head coach before. has family in the area and would be the coach at Glasgow for 15+ years... seems like a slam dunk. My only concern would be the culture difference of expectations between the schools. I have heard they have football practice before school and baseball and track cancels practice in the spring for spring practice. not sure if little things like that would be able to be accomplished here, but maybe the culture can be a little more serious and players would buy into it

Foley is a really good football coach. Would be a very solid hire, if any real interest. 

31 minutes ago, AppalachianTactician said:

Other names that were interested but decided to not pursue due to various reasons were allegedly Brad Hood from Allen (not sure why he would leave), Brandon Smith from South Warren (inquired, but I don't think was serious, also heard was at one point interested in Owensboro), Jason Foley from Southwestern (unsure of interest or motivation) several assistant coaches from prominent schools that would unfortunately have to take pay cuts to become a head coach. Not sure exactly what the stipend is I had heard that Coach Garmon was making in the $7500 range and maybe a little bit more for "field maintenance" and other programs were nearly double that in the area.

 

Better than those two guys... I mean I think the more I am around sports, I believe there are good coaches and bad coaches, sometimes there are better fits for programs due to personalities, but we don't really know until they get the kids, assistant coaches and community to buy in Honestly, this was the point I was attempting to make with Griffin, he has the kids at Hart county drinking the kool-aid, and has the ability I think to win 6-7 games a year even in down years with preferred scheduling, why would he leave that? Also heard he got that job at central office writing grants?

 

Coach Arnett seems to be a good fit. polished pedigree and history coaching kids with the similar demographics as Glasgow up there in Boyle, and has been a head coach before. has family in the area and would be the coach at Glasgow for 15+ years... seems like a slam dunk. My only concern would be the culture difference of expectations between the schools. I have heard they have football practice before school and baseball and track cancels practice in the spring for spring practice. not sure if little things like that would be able to be accomplished here, but maybe the culture can be a little more serious and players would buy into it

No other sport at Boyle is canceling practice for football not even for spring football.

$7500 for the head coaching stipend shows a big time lack of commitment/understanding from the admin at Glasgow.

No HS Coaches in KY do it for the money, however the amount invested from the school system shows at least some commitment to a top notch program.  

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.