My Thoughts Exactly

Hearsay

So your view is that the Democratic leadership can easily be duped and don't have the ability to realize when something being fed to them is not accurate?:sssh: ;)

"Duped" would not be as accurate a term as "bullied" by jingoistic sabre rattling, with the thinly veiled implication that anyone who didn't support going to war in Iraq was unpatriotic.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are all nice quotes, Ram.

Oddly, I didn't see any equivalent quotes from the Republicans that were also of the same mindset at that point in time. I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part, and not an intentional attempt to make it appear as though only the Democrats in Congress have changed their view of the war ...

Frances

Hey, if we are going to debate I am not going to give you your side of the argument. If we are playing cards, should I give you a look at my hand so you can make an informed decision. I'm fair but come on.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, if we are going to debate I am not going to give you your side of the argument. If we are playing cards, should I give you a look at my hand so you can make an informed decision. I'm fair but come on.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fair enough, Ram. Be forewarned - the following quotes don't shine a pretty light on the boys from your side of the aisle. This is going to hurt you, FAR more than it does me.

These quotes were made by Republicans, in response to Clinton's committment of troops to Bosnia:

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.”

–Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

“You can support the troops but not the president.”

–Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

“Well, I just think it’s a bad idea. What’s going to happen is they’re going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years.”

–Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

“Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?”

–Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

“[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation’s armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy.”

–Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)

“If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy.”

–Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

“I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . I didn’t think we had done enough in the diplomatic area.”

–Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

“I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today”

–Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

Fair enough, Ram.

Fair enough.

I think we can agree that war is a terrible thing, no matter what side of the isle you are on. And when a country goes to war a lot of things are unpredictable, and a big price will be payed.:thumb:

I'll start this list of quotes from Republicans, concerning the war in Iraq:

The implication that there was something wrong with the war plan is amusing." - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, on criticism of his management of the Iraq war.

I can go on, but I think you get the picture...

Frances

Fair enough.

I think we can agree that war is a terrible thing, no matter what side of the isle you are on. And when a country goes to war a lot of things are unpredictable, and a big price will be payed.:thumb:

I think we can definitely agree that war is a terrible thing. :thumb:

Frances

I'll start this list of quotes from Republicans, concerning the war in Iraq:

The implication that there was something wrong with the war plan is amusing." - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, on criticism of his management of the Iraq war.

I can go on, but I think you get the picture...

Frances

I think something that people have to understand, including the politicians, is that the war plan will change constantly. What plan we have today, may change next week. The objective may be the same, but the path to that objective will change.

I hope a GOP'er wins the White House in '08, but sometimes I kinda wounder what the war plan would be if the Dems win. Is it really going to be that different? I don't think so. Hillary does not know any more about running a war than W, so she will have advisers on the subject. There's no easy answer on how to finish what was started. And some people will be unhappy with what ever happens.

The republic party, their congress, house and president have had 4 years to win this war. Democrats did not stand in the way as human shields to prevent victory. Just because W miscalculated at every juncture is no reason to whine and moan and blame the democrats, and quite a few republicans and independents who oppose this occupation.

W is about to ask for another 100 Billion of our tax dollars to pump into Iraq.

Someone needs to stop him, and I think this congress will.

The republic party, their congress, house and president have had 4 years to win this war. Democrats did not stand in the way as human shields to prevent victory. Just because W miscalculated at every juncture is no reason to whine and moan and blame the democrats, and quite a few republicans and independents who oppose this occupation.

That's where we went wrong. We should have sent the politicians to oust Sadaam. Then we'd have a win-win situation.

Actually, I would argue America's lack of understanding of how to win provides the most comfort.

How so?

Even if we didn't understand how to win (which I don't believe), if we had the will to win, we would not stop until we understood...

I think something that people have to understand, including the politicians, is that the war plan will change constantly. What plan we have today, may change next week. The objective may be the same, but the path to that objective will change.

I hope a GOP'er wins the White House in '08, but sometimes I kinda wounder what the war plan would be if the Dems win. Is it really going to be that different? I don't think so. Hillary does not know any more about running a war than W, so she will have advisers on the subject. There's no easy answer on how to finish what was started. And some people will be unhappy with what ever happens.

At least her husband won a war in a short time and with very few casualties

How so?

Even if we didn't understand how to win (which I don't believe), if we had the will to win, we would not stop until we understood...

If we had the will to and understanding how to win, we wouldn't have sent a skeleton force over there to begin with. If we had the will to and understanding how to win, we'd do whatever's necessary, and that includes dropping the G-bomb. Those looneys aren't intimidated by gunfire and big explosions. That's everyday life. We need to out-crazy them, and I can think of no better way than to load up bombers with pig entrails and junk cars and bowling balls. That would get their attention.

All this war has done is enrich GWB's donors by getting us stuck in a stalemate situation that ensures we will be fattening the pockets of sleazy defense contractors everywhere.

That's where we went wrong. We should have sent the politicians to oust Sadaam. Then we'd have a win-win situation.

No, we should've just assasinated him and saved billions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives. May he rest in peace, but Ford blew it when he enacted the no assasination law.