Mayfield 53 Owensboro Catholic 48 (2A State Championship)

theguru

The sportsmanship wasn’t just in the last minute of the game it was consistent from the Aces the entire game. Too friendly for my liking throughout, and let me explain why. No way I could see my defense patting the opposition on the helmet and helping them off the ground after getting dominated at the LOS all night long and think they posses the fire and urgency to win the game. May just be me and my old school way of thinking. “I don’t want to see a fight but I need to see some fight” and it just wasn’t there for OC until it was too late.

Both teams played great games offensively and Mayfield had less mistakes and was able to hold off the comeback. If you told me before the game was played that 100 points were scored I would’ve thought I picked this game correctly. I thought the Aces would do a better job of containing Starks, but as we all know the Cardinals play with a different type of edge this time of year. Just a great program and a well deserved win, a community win, truly impressed with how they operate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To be the best you have to beat the best!!! From LCA to Beechwood to Ocatch we played the best team remaining in 2A each week. Each game the QB was the best in 2A. We beat Boley, well BW QB is better, beat him, well Atwell has all these stats this year he’s better than the rest. Beat em all! Crown Us!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Mayfield to give this many points up, Owensboro Catholic must have been very good. Congratulations to Mayfield on the championship and to OC on a great season. 

Has anyone ever played a three game stretch in the postseason, state championship included this tough as what Mayfield has done? Seriously, Mayfield deserves A LOT of credit for how they got to the championship and won. Congratulations to both teams again on awesome seasons!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jeff jackson said:

Both teams offenses are explosive and dynamic. OB Cath is a mirror image of Beechwood with prolific passing attacks, whereas, Mayfield can pass it or run it equally well and, to me, that's tougher to defend and the difference in the game. 

I agree 100%.  Well rounded but I think we passed the ball more than the Aces thought we would. 

I thought the screen passes were going to be the death of us. 

From the KHSAA:

The 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine Class 2A Football State Final concluded at Kroger Field at the University of Kentucky in Lexington on Friday.

Mayfield earned its 13th state championship in school history with a 53-48 win over Owensboro Catholic.

· Box Score (PDF)

· Bracket (KHSAA/Riherds Scoreboard)

· Mingua Beef Jerky Most Valuable Player

For more information on the 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine Football State Finals, visit: https://khsaa.org/11-29-23-uk-healthcare-sports-medicine-football-state-finals-to-kick-off-at-kroger-field/

When Mayfield lost to Beechwood last year, I posted they would win it this year, all I ask that you work with me, if I tell you a flea can pull a wagon… hook him up Congratulations  Mayfield and thank you Paducah Tilghman for beating us and thank you Beechwood and O Cath for pushing us.

• Like 1

OCHS

23 1st downs

1 turnover 

Brady Atwell - 24-48-514 yards. He had 3 passing and 4 rushing TD's

William Carrico of OCHS receiving-11 catches for 332 yards and 3 TD catches.

OCHS had 594 total yards

MAYFIELD

22 1st downs

Zane Cartwright - 23-33 for 322 yards with 2 TD

JuJu Starks had 196 yards on 34 carries.

Mayfield had 510 total yards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golf2074 said:

Congratulations Mayfield.Have to ask but when was the last time Mayfield gave up 48 points?

I have watched almost every game since 1995. Your question got me to thinking. I think it would have been in 2007 or so when Ft Campbell had a good program. No one wanted to play them in the bowl game at Marshall County and Coach Joe spoke and said we would. We were tied or real close to tied at halftime. In the second half they came out at put at running clock on us. That was when it took at least a 42 point lead to get a running clock. 

Game Comparison

STATS              M                OC
Total Yds        510              594
Pass Yds        322               551
Rush Yds       188               43
Penalties       7-55            4-30
1st Downs      22               23
3rd Downs    5-15             0-8
4th Downs     3-4              2-4
Total Plays      73               64
Avg Yds/Play  7.0               9.3
Avg/Pass       14.0             22.0