Mayfield 53 Owensboro Catholic 48 (2A State Championship)

theguru

One note I want to throw out there is a congratulations to Owensboro Catholic, Beechwood and Lexington Christian Academy.  All 3 of these teams deserve high accolades and were all good enough to have been the state champs this year.  All 3 pushed the eventual champ to the limit. 

• Like 14

I thought LCA was the best team in the state.  But due to RPI they had to go to War memorial.  I thought any of the other “3” teams could win it and they could have.  But Mayfield ran a trifecta - beating the top 3 teams.  It definitely helped having the 2 games at home, but you can’t take that away from them.  That was a very tough road to hoe and they did it so big time congrats to Mayfield. 

This was the year for powerful offenses.  Starks is a great RB, and the QB was dropping it on the dime every time he was called to.  For OC - the short field on the fumble and the whiffed punt that gave the ball on the 5 to Mayfield were killers.  BUT, Carrico IMO should be very highly considered for Mr. Football - great season and career by that young man.  Atwell - Best QB I’ve seen this year.  The ACES never quit and had a chance to win at the end.  I’ll go with best OCath team ever.  Congrats to them and the city of Owensboro is very proud of them. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, D Wolf said:

I apologize for raining on the Cards’ parade but I need to ask if they will be down some next year?  They lose Cartwright, Starks, Biggers, Dumas.  And I think another key WR.  Will they still be a state title contender in 2024?  Such an awesome program so maybe there is talent waiting in the wings.  

We obviously should be down some. However, We return a lot of talent and our freshmen linemen are huge. The approach may change a bit but, they will still be contenders. We hardly ever miss the semifinals. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, still 55 said:

I have watched almost every game since 1995. Your question got me to thinking. I think it would have been in 2007 or so when Ft Campbell had a good program. No one wanted to play them in the bowl game at Marshall County and Coach Joe spoke and said we would. We were tied or real close to tied at halftime. In the second half they came out at put at running clock on us. That was when it took at least a 42 point lead to get a running clock. 

Who can forget the 55 LCA dropped on Mayfield in the 2009 state championship

I've been down sick since the trip back to Lexington Friday but I wanted to stop in and send congrats to Mayfield on the state championship!  I didn't think we were going to get it in the first half but it turned out to be the game I expected it to be!  I was glad the state got to see the Aces team that I saw all season in that 2nd half.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ApolloFan98 said:

I've been down sick since the trip back to Lexington Friday but I wanted to stop in and send congrats to Mayfield on the state championship!  I didn't think we were going to get it in the first half but it turned out to be the game I expected it to be!  I was glad the state got to see the Aces team that I saw all season in that 2nd half.  

I hope you feel better AF98 and what a game!

• Like 1

Here we go again,talking about when East Fork Consolidated School led by Marcel Ledbetter beat West Monkey Eyebrow led by Uncle Jr.it happened, so let’s move on, what about when Mayfield ran it for 5 years in a row?It makes no difference to anyone but Mayfield.(drops the mic exit stage right)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tracy House said:

Here we go again,talking about when East Fork Consolidated School led by Marcel Ledbetter beat West Monkey Eyebrow led by Uncle Jr.it happened, so let’s move on, what about when Mayfield ran it for 5 years in a row?It makes no difference to anyone but Mayfield.(drops the mic exit stage right)

Would that be one Uncle Percy Ledbetter?

On 12/2/2023 at 5:18 PM, WHO'S NEXT? said:

Who can forget the 55 LCA dropped on Mayfield in the 2009 state championship

That game don’t count. It’s best left out of the memory back. We just were state runners up that year. No score. 

I listened to the Homers Radio Show after this game. The comment was made about this very play and how our db mugged the OC receiver and the refs didn’t call it. I thought I saw the OC wr grab Kirby by the facemask and pull him out of bounds because he was in better position to catch the ball. 

IMG_5113.png

• Like 1

You gotta love the following that an institution like Cardinal football inspires. I don't think any other town in Kentucky embodies the spirit of the game more than Mayfield. 

Big thanks to the Red Helmet crew for putting in the time and effort to bring Mayfield football to the masses every week. Every school in the state could use a Brad and Jason.

13×🏆 state champs

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1