Kenny Payne

TheDeuce

Rumors circulating that Payne got into it with a player and it got so heated they had to be separated.

Another rumor is that Louisville had approached Danny Manning about serving as an interim and he said no.

This may be wrapping up quicker than I had hoped. 

4 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

If it is wrapping up soon, I hope they have some plan in place that doesn't involve throwing Nolan Smith to the wolves.    He's a good young coach and I'd hate to see him lose some of his desire trying to clean up someone else's mess,

If they fire KP before the season is over, it won’t be Nolan.

11 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

If they fire KP before the season is over, it won’t be Nolan.

I've thought about this, and I think I've changed my mind. 

If something does happen mid-season, it won't make sense to bring in anyone who's not already in the program. Danny Manning is washed and would be little to no different than KP, minus his prior experience as an HC. Nolan is young, has ties to the program, and everyone would know he's not going to be the guy long term, so I think that could garner some support for the rest of the season. 

5 hours ago, okie1 said:

Serious question here as I don't keep up with KP or Louisville much.  What has everyone so upset with him?  He took over a dumpster fire a little over a year ago.  What do folks expect?

I would expect him to at least get some of the flames put out, they only seem to be spreading and quickly.

I hate to hear this as I have always like KP. I thought he was a really good hire but you can’t deny for whatever reason he and UofL have not clicked. 

Although I bleed UK Blue I always pull for Louisville unless they are playing my Cats. College Basketball is better as a whole when UofL is cooking. 

If it is time to cut ties I hope UofL gets the next hire right and he runs the 2nd most successful program in the country. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, okie1 said:

Serious question here as I don't keep up with KP or Louisville much.  What has everyone so upset with him?  He took over a dumpster fire a little over a year ago.  What do folks expect?

No he didn’t. 

There is no excuse, ever, for Louisville to go 4-28, especially in the transfer portal era. 

They have kept everything quiet around the program, making it seem like they were getting things done when they weren’t. He’s whiffed on recruits more than he’s hit, and that was literally the only positive to hiring him, his assumed recruiting ability. 

They don’t talk to the media, they don’t talk to fans, they don’t land recruits, the team doesn’t get better and they don’t win games.

Deuce I have to give you credit, you've been worried about this hire since the beginning. You were never on board that KP was the savior, or pushing the narrative that, "Kenny won those games" nonsense. You've questioned almost from day one, if he was the right hire. Seems as if your reticence towards this hire was warranted. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, TheDeuce said:

I've thought about this, and I think I've changed my mind. 

If something does happen mid-season, it won't make sense to bring in anyone who's not already in the program. Danny Manning is washed and would be little to no different than KP, minus his prior experience as an HC. Nolan is young, has ties to the program, and everyone would know he's not going to be the guy long term, so I think that could garner some support for the rest of the season. 

Wonder if they did go that route, if the next head coach would consider keeping him as an assistant...Assuming he'd want to stay?

On 11/1/2023 at 9:27 PM, TheDeuce said:

Rumors circulating that Payne got into it with a player and it got so heated they had to be separated.

Another rumor is that Louisville had approached Danny Manning about serving as an interim and he said no.

This may be wrapping up quicker than I had hoped. 

Good thing for the player. I'd imagine Kenny could handle himself lol. Really hate to hear this. Basketball is always more fun when the Cards are good!!

Lost to Chattanooga and Ken Pom rating has dropped to #177. Kenny Payne's buyout drops by 2 million after the season so they may wait to make a change when it's cheaper.  Louisville has enough talent to beat Ky Wesleyan, Chattanooga, and UMBC. It has to be lack of coaching. I'm not a basketball coach, and I can see what they do is not working. Too much standing around on offense. It needs more movement. On defense they don't know how to close out on 3 pt shooters. I think if you bring in any head coach that has a winning record will see vast improvement. 

• Like 1