Michigan being Investigated

Jumper_Dad

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38696639/ncaa-investigating-no-2-michigan-amid-sign-stealing-allegations

The NCAA is investigating the No. 2 Michigan Wolverines' football program amid allegations of sign stealing, the school announced Thursday. 

According to a report by Yahoo Sports, Michigan allegedly had people attending games of future opponents as well as possible College Football Playoff opponents to gather information on signs used to call plays on offense and defense.

A source confirmed to ESPN that in-person scouting is the focus of the NCAA investigation.

If true, the No. 2 Wolverines would have violated NCAA Bylaw 11.6.1, which states: "Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited."

I've already seen Michigan fans circling the wagons saying that this shouldn't even be against the rules. The problem is, that it is against the current rules. The bigger issue is the NCAA's ability to investigate anything quickly. Whatever the issue, it likely won't be settled for a year or so. I hate to think UM could win a title this year, only to have it stripped in two years.

If Michigan is actually doing what they are accused of, that's a really bad look on their entire program.

Is this even an issue...one would think as paranoid as college football coaches are, they change their signals weekly anyway.

Just let the coaches put a mic in their signal callers helmet like NFL and be done with it...

3 hours ago, The Professor said:

I don’t understand? I didn’t realize there is a rule in college football prohibiting scouting the opposition. 

It’s been going on since the existence of college football, Michigan just happens to be rolling and others don’t like it so let’s try and disrupt the surging ship.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Professor said:

I don’t understand? I didn’t realize there is a rule in college football prohibiting scouting the opposition. 

There is scouting the opposition and there is stealing play signs.  It would interesting to watch previous games to see how much the defense was adjusting after the offense got their play call.  

10 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

There is scouting the opposition and there is stealing play signs.  It would interesting to watch previous games to see how much the defense was adjusting after the offense got their play call.  

Correct.

I don't know much about the situation, but it is not that complicated. Does anyone not remember spygate?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

It’s been going on since the existence of college football, Michigan just happens to be rolling and others don’t like it so let’s try and disrupt the surging ship.

You may be correct. The problem with you theory is you make Michigan out to be some kind of outlier since they are in the midst of a successful run, by their standards. I would say there was a chance Harbaugh was going to be asked to leave had they not beaten tOSU in November 2021. They won (then got annihilated by Georgia), they seem to have bounced back on the national stage, and are probably the best team in the country despite having no good wins to show for it. But let's not act like they've been on top of college football or even "back" since we are talking two years. Point being, there have been oodles of teams to have similar two year runs. Now if you want to say this is just about Harbaugh, then ok, that registers a little better. 

3 hours ago, bugatti said:

You may be correct. The problem with you theory is you make Michigan out to be some kind of outlier since they are in the midst of a successful run, by their standards. I would say there was a chance Harbaugh was going to be asked to leave had they not beaten tOSU in November 2021. They won (then got annihilated by Georgia), they seem to have bounced back on the national stage, and are probably the best team in the country despite having no good wins to show for it. But let's not act like they've been on top of college football or even "back" since we are talking two years. Point being, there have been oodles of teams to have similar two year runs. Now if you want to say this is just about Harbaugh, then ok, that registers a little better. 

Wasn’t talking about Michigan football for the last 10 yrs just last couple and somehow this got brought up with them, live scouting has been going on for last 50 years.