Scholarship pulled...What do you think of this?

RADIO GUY

Apollo coach Carlberg offered all the information they had on Ben medically along with team doctors who had examined Ben, but Purdue never asked to talk to anybody or have him evaulated...Now get this also the coaches from Purdue called and said "if other schools contact us, we will just say Ben did not have a good visit and decided to pull out"....
Extremely, extremely disappointing to here this scenario. I'm certain Ben is hurt but fortunately he kind find another school, that have coaches with integrity.

....As a show also of community interest...Another local coach John Edge from Owensboro Catholic has also starting using his contacts to introduce Ben to some other coaches on the college level. That is class in my book!!!
Great to here and I agree, class move.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really blame the school for pulling the scholarship. Like some have already said, College football has turned into more of a business. However, I question the timing of it and it could have been done sooner in order to allow this young man a chance to catch on with some other D1 program. Very poor decision on Purdue's part. Probably why I'm not a Boilermaker fan.

Not just a D1 problem we have had 3 similar situations of promises made but later they revoked them with 1AA schools. It sure seems like if schools are asking athletes to commit early there should be some guarantees to protect that student athlete. After all some kids are NOT recruited because they are assumed to be already committed and when they find out they are not some other interested schools may have already signed another athlete. Seems like this trend is getting worse!

Look, I first agree that it is a business. I also submit that it happens often, tough luck to the kid, Purdue looking after their interest, not binding until his LOI is signed etc....However the fact remains...Ben was recruited by several schools...He choose one that fit his needs both from an academic first and then an athletic standpoint early enough so other schools would not pursue him any longer. He did everything right. No evidence of any injuries and no evidence allowed to dispute any injury. The fact is they wanted another kid who became available and wanted to hide that fact from other schools by saying it was Ben's choice to back out...

No one is debating one thing that you said. I feel bad for the kid but the fact remains that nothing illegal was done. As we the fans put more and more pressure on coaches to win I can only see these types of situations becoming more prevelant.

Bad situation for the young man. If he was good enough to get a offer from Purdue, then he should have several offers from this region of the country..... There is always a spot for a good football player on any team. His challenge now, to find that team that needs him.....

Bad situation for the young man. If he was good enough to get a offer from Purdue, then he should have several offers from this region of the country..... There is always a spot for a good football player on any team. His challenge now, to find that team that needs him.....

He will for sure end up somewhere else. I just hope it is not at the expense of another verbal being tossed aside. Thanks to all for your insights. I will keep you folks updated on his journey.:thumb:

He will for sure end up somewhere else. I just hope it is not at the expense of another verbal being tossed aside. Thanks to all for your insights. I will keep you folks updated on his journey.:thumb:
Has he been in contact with Coach Troy Rothenbuhler at Bowling Green or Coach Bettcher, perhaps one to consider and close by.

Eastern Michigan, is another program that might still be looking for LB's. I can help with contacts, on either of these schools.

It happens all the time...sucks for the kid, but obviously Purdue has to do what's best for them.

My nephew had a similar situation with Purdue. He was all state at WR in Florida but had grown up his first 13 years in central Ohio. He was crushed when he didn't get anything from Ohio State and filled out the letter of intent and faxed it into Purdue. He got a call back saying that his postion was filled. He ended up going to Wake Forest and played against U of L in the Orange Bowl. I hope the kid this year looks around quickly and gets a chance.

Sounds like some shady buisiness that Louisville would pull. Oh my bad they allready did.

Let it go. It looks like the kid will likely sign with UK. He will have the chance to play in the SEC. The greatest football conference in the USA.:thumb: