Covington Catholic 35 Beechwood 31

11 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Appreciate the concern. Let's get through the regular season and see where things shake out.

Don’t misunderstand, as a rival fan,  I’ll always be rooting for whoever Covcath plays. Just stating, the schedule couldn’t be helped much with being put in the weakest district since the start of organized football. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Royal Blue said:

#14 Kruer doesn’t seem to get a lot of press, but I thought he did a great job defensively the game against Highlands too. He might be Covcath’s Mvp. A few others get the hype coming in, but this was really the guy making all the tackles.

You're not wrong about Tate. He was actually the leading tackler for Cov Cath last year - as a sophomore. And he's the leading tackler at this point in the season this year too. His dad, Justin, didn't end up on the football team at Cov Cath until his senior year. And then after graduating and being admitted to Notre Dame he low-key walked on to the football team at the University of Notre Dame as like a sophomore or junior.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to one of the guys I played with at Cov Cath. He said, "That Kruer kid, he's one of those dudes who keeps his head down and doesn't say anything to anyone, and then quietly makes 1 out of every 4 tackles in the game. And he doesn't really look like a whole lot of anything on the field, but after you've taken hits at practice every play for 2 hours and feel just about numb to it, every time he hits you, you think, 'Damn, that freakin' hurt'."

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Royal Blue said:

Don’t misunderstand, as a rival fan,  I’ll always be rooting for whoever Covcath plays. Just stating, the schedule couldn’t be helped much with being put in the weakest district since the start of organized football. 

I'm the exact opposite. I always root for the teams on Cov Cath's schedule. If we win, I want to be beating the best teams that have beaten the best teams, and if we lose, I only want to be losing to the teams that have beaten the best teams and are thereby the best competition we could have lost to.

• Like 2

That game sure was a roller coaster ride. Coming in, like most Beechwood fans I was thinking the Tigers might need to score 50 to win, and I didn't think they could do that against CCH. Then after that first drive, I thought yeah, that Tiger offense is going through CCH just like everyone else they have played. After the two INT's and Beechwood up 21-0, I was feeling like the Tigers could pull it off. I thought 40 points were a sure thing. Then CCH went to the game plan I expected - keep it on the ground, control clock and keep Beechwood offense off the field. As the game wore on, mistakes by Beechwood put their offense into a couple unwinnable possessions and that got CCH to the lead. I still liked Beechwood's chances though till that final 4th down with a minute to go that they didn't convert. With playmakers like Hayden, Fryman and Erdman, I thought they would make it happen.

Great game. The difference was 4th down. Cov Cath converted every one of their 4 4th down attempts and Beechwood could not convert on their 2 or 3 4th down situations. That was the difference in the game.

As someone pointed out above - Beechwood freshman Tyler Fryman showed out big time in this one. As many good athletes as there were on that field, he was a notch above. He is so fast you have to see it to appreciate it. It would have been a wild move, but I think if Beechwood had gone wildcat that last drive and let him run it every play, I don't think CCH could have stopped him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Good lord, did CCH prepare for Beechwood this week or not? Beechwood not scared, CCH looks confused.

6 hours ago, bluecolonels95 said:

This game is over. CCH is simply not prepared for this game. Sad to see. 

@bluecolonels95, you've been notably absent from the postgame discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beechwood has some serious, serious offensive weapons in WR Tyler Fryman, WR Luke Erdman, WR James Cusick and RB Chase Flaherty. It's no wonder Erdman and Fryman were #2 and #3 receiving in 2A football and #4 and #10 in the state, respectively, coming into the game on Friday. Cov Cath was putting their top DB's on Erdman and Fryman in the first half and that opened up Cusick for a lot of receiving success that half...and Flaherty is a fantastic receiver out of the backfield. The Tigers are going to give EVERYONE fits by air this season.

Xavier Campbell is as solid as they come, even after his injury last week. His batted ball for his own pick-6 was one of the most athletic plays I've seen this season, and was nearly a back breaker in the game. Jack Meier was also a major presence for Beechwood on the defensive rush.

Cov Cath's defense did a great job adjusting at halftime, as they have always done under DC Terry Brown while Coach Eviston has been at the helm. Cov Cath's offense was a little flat opening up tonight, but even with Rodriguez dealing with a bum ankle tonight, they found their footing in the second half. For all the people who have only looked at Pitzer as a lanky QB with an arm, he showed what he's worth with his feet tonight - a team leading 91 yards rushing with a touchdown. If he wasn't running in the clutch to pick up a 1st down on third or fourth downs, he was hitting one of his receivers when it really mattered for a new set of Cov Cath offensive downs.

Glad Cov Cath was able to pull out the comeback, and best of luck moving forward for Beechwood. Go win 2A, Tigers!

• Like 6

1st Quarter:
34:54 Beechwood 19 yard TD pass from Clay Hayden to James Cusick. 7-0 Beechwood.
37:25 Beechwood's Jack Meier sacks Evan Pitzer.
38:39 Beechwood's Tyler Fryman intercepts Evan Pitzer.
42:15 Beechwood 11 yard TD run. Tyler Fryman out of the wildcat. 14-0 Beechwood.
46:14 Beechwood 27 yard pick-6 by Xavier Campbell. 21-0 Beechwood

2nd Quarter:
57:34 Cov Cath 17 yard TD pass from Evan Pitzer to Tate Kruer. 21-7 Beechwood.
1:04:30 Cov Cath's Braylon Miller bats down pass from Clay Hayden.
1:08:16 Cov Cath's Owen Leen with a 41 yard run.
1:12:39 Cov Cath's Owen Leen with a 6 yard TD run. 21-14 Beechwood.
1:16:15 Cov Cath called with targeting. You make the call.
1:21:57 Beechwood with a 27 yard field goal. 24-14 Beechwood.

3rd Quarter:
1:44:50 Beechwood 32 yard pass to Luke Erdman.
1:54:47 Cov Cath's Braylon Miller pulls ball out of defender's hands for 18 yard catch.
2:00:01 Cov Cath 7 yard TD run by Evan Pitzer. 24-21 Beechwood.
2:05:52 Cov Cath with a sack by Ben Reeves on Beechwood's 3rd and 27.
2:09:31 Cov Cath with a 28 yard TD pass to Braylon Miller. 28-24 Cov Cath.
2:12:02 Beechwood's Tyler Fryman with a 23 yard run out of the wildcat.

4th Quarter:
2:14:06 Beechwood's Luke Erdman with a 18 yard run out of the wildcat.
2:16:07 Beechwood 26 yard TD run by Tyler Fryman out of the wildcat. 31-28 Beechwood.
2:24:22 Cov Cath's Owen Leen with a 21 yard run.
2:30:52 Cov Cath with a 1 yard TD run by Andrew Bessler. 35-31 Cov Cath.
2:33:19 Cov Cath's with a sack by Ben Reeves.
2:33:46 Cov Cath's with a sack by JP Sullivan.
2:35:50 Cov Cath's Cash Harney with a big hit to knock the ball incomplete on Beechwood's 4th and long.

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@bluecolonels95, you've been notably absent from the postgame discussion.

Here we go, let me hear it. So I let my frustration get the best of me with the pour execution in the first 8 minutes of the game. Obviously shouldn’t have posted the crap I said. I think everyone in mankind has said dumb things while watching a sporting event or their team not executing. For example,  I had to listen to all them Bengal fans last weekend quickly turn on the team and say dumb things when things aren’t going their way. It happens. We’re human. 

• Like 2

Bashing CovCaths district schedule and claiming how weak their overall schedule is weak sauce, especially considering they beat Highlands by two TDs. Highlands just played 1A Raceland and have maybe the 2nd weakest district schedule behind CovCath if you are going with that argument. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

Bashing CovCaths district schedule and claiming how weak their overall schedule is weak sauce, especially considering they beat Highlands by two TDs. Highlands just played 1A Raceland and have maybe the 2nd weakest district schedule behind CovCath if you are going with that argument. 

Who brought up Highlands besides you? I never said Highlands schedule was great. Also don’t believe the Raceland game should have ever been scheduled. Deflect much?

Covcath has a terrible schedule the rest of the way. Highlands has nothing to do with the rest of Covcath’s schedule being terrible. It is what it is. Soft. 

Let’s not even bring up the rest of your alma mater’s schedule. But hey, it’s not as bad as the rest of Covcath’s.  

• Haha 1

Kudos to both teams last night, both great programs!  It’s good to have local rivalries regardless who may be playing one another here in Northern Kentucky.  Turning the page I hope all Northern Kentucky teams and fans pull together for each other and support each respective team here in Northern Kentucky from Class 1A thru Class 6A.  
Northern Kentucky has a lot to offer this Fall going into state playoffs and let’s hope we have as many schools from Northern Kentucky representing us at Kroger Field for state championships.

Again, Thank you Beechwood and Cov Cath for a fun night of Football.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Here we go, let me hear it. So I let my frustration get the best of me with the pour execution in the first 8 minutes of the game. Obviously shouldn’t have posted the crap I said. I think everyone in mankind has said dumb things while watching a sporting event or their team not executing. For example,  I had to listen to all them Bengal fans last weekend quickly turn on the team and say dumb things when things aren’t going their way. It happens. We’re human. 

It’s all good man! Bengals deserve all the criticism in the world though, haha.