Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Grant County 80 Walton-Verona 76 (32nd District Semifinals)

Featured Replies

19 minutes ago, spilly willy said:

Grant fans are completely pathetic yelling at the Walton kids after the game screaming at Krohman as he is crying because he just played his last game. Grown adults get ahold of yourselves. Embarrassing as a program. 

Can’t wait to see SK lay it to them Friday. 

  • Replies 114
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Wouldn’t that be a double dribble. Why would he teach that?

  • I was actually on the WV side, trust me , a lot of trash talking and garbage on that side also.  Great game, great crowd, if your weak hearted, you better stay home.

  • There was a few questionable calls in last nights game that I thought should have gone the other way. But, I hate the excuses every losing team makes after they lose. Walton loses, all you have is the

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, bigapplekid said:

What happened beyond that? Genuinely asking since it wasn’t specified.

An assistant coach from Grant and Hester went at it, when an assistant coaches from both sides got into an argument, and then both head coaches got into it.

20 minutes ago, Nkybballfan23 said:

Can’t wait to see SK lay it to them Friday. 

As someone who was born and raised in GC, but “escaped” — as I like to say — I can say with certainty that the fans relish comments like this, especially when they are said by those from Boone or Kenton, which are much wealthier and affluent communities than their less fortunate southern neighbors. I think they think there is a sense of entitlement over them. But I digress ?

The thing at the end you guys are blowing way out of proportion.   GC assist was clapping and cheering and WV assistant proceeded to cuss him out going through the line.  Some of GC players even gave WV Krohman hugs going through the line mowing it’s his last game.

It was as anticipated as one of toughest. First rounds  of the 8th. Here’s the bottom line it was an amazing first round game in a packed gym!  Very emotional back and forth game.  Great offense first half for WV Great Defense for GC the second half. Grant comes out 2nd half with great adjustments and pounded into the paint.  Grants big men especially Wills had a huge 2nd half.  Walton hit 5 3’s the first half and I believe only one the 2nd half. Both teams I think were very underrated most of the season until late.  Congrats to WV they have a lot to look forward next season.  GC has potential to make a run at Henry. 

42 minutes ago, bigapplekid said:

What happened beyond that? Genuinely asking since it wasn’t specified.

I was right there. Coach Hammonds was excited going into the handshake line. Coach Hester said something to him and they talked back and forth. No one cussed or pushed each other. When they returned from the handshake line, Coach Hammonds extended his hand like to say "my bad" or something and Coach Hester just looked at him but did not do anything. Hammonds then walked away. Coach Hammonds had the right to be excited because his team just won a huge game and Coach Hester had the right to not be in the mood to deal with it because his team just lost a huge game. 

The players were in the line and had to be separated but no one threw a punch or even screamed. All players and coaches got off the floor and the fans were yelling at each other.

It went both ways. Walton fans and Grant County fans were yelling at the floor and kind of heckling each other. Then there was this odd, almost standoff, on the court. It got kind of quiet and both crowds were kind of staring at each other and very few people left the gym. Kind of a weird feeling. 

Horn to horn, it was a physical and clean game. No dirty play by either team. It did not appear to be a lot of smack talk or taunting. A great game and a great atmosphere.

59 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Altercation after the game between the coaches as well. 

I will simply say this...NOT a shock given the result.  

37 minutes ago, Nkybballfan23 said:

Can’t wait to see SK lay it to them Friday. 

I was in the crowd. The fans were obviously pumped up but I don’t think there was any malice intended toward the kids.

4 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

I will simply say this...NOT a shock given the result.  

To elaborate so it isn't taken out of context, Hester is a firy guy, very emotional, and losing an emotional district semi is going to have him on tilt.  I like him, but he is who he is and he takes zero nonsense ever, much less right after an emotional loss.  

Just now, Deaconjim said:

I was in the crowd. The fans were obviously pumped up but I don’t think there was any malice intended toward the kids.

Majority of the kid scenario was from Grant County students, so it was kid on kid. (not ideal, but better than an adult)

 

 

Talking with players the Grant assistant coach was yelling to the Grant fans I told you the suck as he was going through the handshake line. The Walton coaches had an issue with that as they should. 
I just could never foresee a Walton parent yelling at high school kids playing a game like that. If Walton would have won and Hammond was crying on the court I am pretty sure he would have got a standing ovation for a career well played. I am just super disgusted by grown people yelling at kids who are playing their hearts out. It was a hard fought game both teams deserved respect and Walton got zero from Grant fans. 
Also try cleaning up after yourself’s. The amount of trash left in the stands from Grant was crazy. Not to hard to take it with you as you leave.  
Go pioneers

16 minutes ago, bigapplekid said:

As someone who was born and raised in GC, but “escaped” — as I like to say — I can say with certainty that the fans relish comments like this, especially when they are said by those from Boone or Kenton, which are much wealthier and affluent communities than their less fortunate southern neighbors. I think they think there is a sense of entitlement over them. But I digress ?

I see where you are coming from. There should be no room for entitlement but unfortunately that’s the way it is. I just thought at the end of the game some of the Grant fans were over the top towards the opposing players and coaches. 

5 minutes ago, Deaconjim said:

I was in the crowd. The fans were obviously pumped up but I don’t think there was any malice intended toward the kids.

I was also in the crowd. There were a few specific Grant fans who were very over the top towards opposing players and coaches during and after the game but majority of the fans were just cheering hard. I would just love to see SK win as I am an SK guy.

I was actually on the WV side, trust me , a lot of trash talking and garbage on that side also.  Great game, great crowd, if your weak hearted, you better stay home.

Okay... so I just went back and watched it on the live feed. It was no where near blown out of proportion. 

A Grant County assistant coach was on the floor as soon as the buzzer sounded, ended up looking directly at the WV bench and clapping, as the handshakes occurred Hester (WV head coach) says something to the assistant, the assistant fires back and attempts to go back towards hester, when one of Grant County's players forces him to continue going down the handshake line. 

After the handshakes, the Grant assistant and Hester meet up again, one of WV's assistants shoves the Grant assistant away. Right after that, the same WV assistant appeared to have gotten into Dylan Hammonds face (obviously Hammonds is a player) and say a few words. Utter and Hester for the most part after that were trying to calm the situation down, but looked to have exchanged a couple words (nothing big). 

Here is the link if you want to see for yourself, it is about the final 2 minutes of the stream.  

https://www.859insidertv.com/?B=533081 

 

Either way, it is what it is. I am sure the schools will figure everything out, and it is not our worry. What we should not do is take away from the GREAT game that these teams put on. It was one of the better high school games that I have watched in recent years, and it was the entire 32 minutes of the game. Grant County continues to fight back, and controlled the lead for very little of the game. Amazing game from Willis, if I had to guess he led the Braves in scoring. They will now face Simon Kenton in the District Championship, and have clinched a birth in the regional tournament. I would not count this team out, they have all the pieces needed to make a run at "The Roy"!

A great run for Walton-Verona this year. After losing their main 2 pieces to graduation, no one knew what to expect. They did not let us down, and were one of the better teams in the region. I wish we could've seen them in the regional tournament. Great career for Carter Krohman, he has a tremendous resume at WV! The Bearcats have a lot to look forward to next year. 

I’m hearing the Grant assistant is Hammonds’ father. Can anyone confirm?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.