Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Grant County 80 Walton-Verona 76 (32nd District Semifinals)

Featured Replies

ADs/Coaches need to adjust the bench situation to where when teams shake hands after games…the line leads them right into their locker rooms.  In this instance (and many others that I have seen) teams line up, walk through shaking hands, then have to cross paths again to go into the locker room. ?‍♂️ Too much of a chance for fireworks.  

  • Replies 114
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Wouldn’t that be a double dribble. Why would he teach that?

  • I was actually on the WV side, trust me , a lot of trash talking and garbage on that side also.  Great game, great crowd, if your weak hearted, you better stay home.

  • There was a few questionable calls in last nights game that I thought should have gone the other way. But, I hate the excuses every losing team makes after they lose. Walton loses, all you have is the

Posted Images

  • Author
30 minutes ago, LLS10 said:

There was a few questionable calls in last nights game that I thought should have gone the other way. But, I hate the excuses every losing team makes after they lose. Walton loses, all you have is their fans complaining about refs. Same thing would have happened to Grant fans if they would have lost too. The officiating did not decide the outcome in this game. You get 32 minutes to decide that yourself. 

I agree that you got 32 minutes to make it happen. I watched it online so I couldn’t really tell if there were mistakes.  The main reason why there are fewer officials is because of fans/parents ridicule.

4 hours ago, sportsfollower said:

I watched over 100 different HS teams play this season. Without a doubt WV coaches and fans were the worst I seen.

I have actually seen around 100 HS games in person this year, the worst fans I've encountered was N. Oldham.

2 hours ago, LLS10 said:

There was a few questionable calls in last nights game that I thought should have gone the other way. But, I hate the excuses every losing team makes after they lose. Walton loses, all you have is their fans complaining about refs. Same thing would have happened to Grant fans if they would have lost too. The officiating did not decide the outcome in this game. You get 32 minutes to decide that yourself. 

Officiating was no where near perfect, but they’re high school referees. They will not be perfect. It was no where near one-sided, and if anyone blames officiating for that game, they’re flat out wrong.

2 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

I have actually seen around 100 HS games in person this year, the worst fans I've encountered was N. Oldham.

That’s interesting.  What game are you thinking of when you say that?  

3 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

That’s interesting.  What game are you thinking of when you say that?  

Dec.28 at the Lex Cath Holiday Tournament vs. N Laurel.

Just now, 4 Quarters said:

Dec.28 at the Lex Cath Holiday Tournament vs. N Laurel.

Ordinarily, you’d think of the upper crust as the “whine and cheese” crowd, to use that old Sam Cassell line. Just general ugliness?  Towards the officials or the N Laurel fans?  Roberts and Sheppard played AAU together one year (+ Kaleb Glen) - I guess that engendered no good will!

18 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

Ordinarily, you’d think of the upper crust as the “whine and cheese” crowd, to use that old Sam Cassell line. Just general ugliness?  Towards the officials or the N Laurel fans?  Roberts and Sheppard played AAU together one year (+ Kaleb Glen) - I guess that engendered no good will!

It was in the stands among the adults, triggered by a N. Oldham fan who was removed from the stands but didn't have to leave the building.  It all turned out okay.

Let me just start here!  First what a game this was between two teams (players and coaches both).  First half Walton got some early calls, hit some shots but Grant weathered the storm.  Second half Grant came out on a mission.  Players outplayed them and for sure Walton was out coached.  The better team won and deserved it!  

Now that we have that out of the way.  I played for Walton growing up but have since moved and love the Grant County area and the program that is being constructed.  Could not ask for better kids and coaches who put so much time in and give back as much as they possibly can.  

For anyone making things personal and saying things about the starting point guard and naming the assistant sounds like sour grapes to me.  First off Jackson Utter is one of the best and hard nosed guards I have seen.  That boy could be on my team any day!  He holds his own and more.  Go back to the high profile games and watch the tape.   Great Crossing, Mason County, Conner, North Oldham, Collins, do I need to keep going?!?!? Stats don’t tell the whole story trust me.  The assistant coach was fired up and rightfully so!  Did nothing to the Walton team nor was it disrespectful.    

About the fans.  Grant County fans showed up early and invested.  Class as some of you talk about is all in the eyes of the beholder.  Grant County fans showed up in numbers and showed out!  Grants fans were tough on the officiating the first half rightfully so.  If I am not mistaken the fouls were 7-3 the first half.  A lot of questionable ones early.  But refs don’t win or lose games.  Things changed the second half and Grant capitalized more.  

To those who say the fans were disrespectful to Walton players are delusional.  They were cheering for their own players.  The scuffle or bickering between teams was all started by Walton and the guy in glasses.  It had to do with Grant and not helping the kid up at the end.  Seriously watch it over and they did.  Grant has a ton of high character kids and coaches. 

To the fella who left Grant County good for you!!  Walton is not what it was when I was there and thankfully Grant County is ok without you!  Goes both ways! Funny take on things though! 

On 2/22/2023 at 9:30 PM, spilly willy said:

Talking with players the Grant assistant coach was yelling to the Grant fans I told you the suck as he was going through the handshake line. The Walton coaches had an issue with that as they should. 
I just could never foresee a Walton parent yelling at high school kids playing a game like that. If Walton would have won and Hammond was crying on the court I am pretty sure he would have got a standing ovation for a career well played. I am just super disgusted by grown people yelling at kids who are playing their hearts out. It was a hard fought game both teams deserved respect and Walton got zero from Grant fans. 
Also try cleaning up after yourself’s. The amount of trash left in the stands from Grant was crazy. Not to hard to take it with you as you leave.  
Go pioneers

Grant fans were not talking to the players nor being disrespectful.  There are a lot of other things out there that are not as competitive or everyone has a chance to win high school basketball just is not it. I think everyone should get trophies 

On 2/22/2023 at 11:52 PM, TheConch said:

I’ll say this, never seen that gym before. Pretty cool. Love the floor. 

The best court around!

4 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

The best court around!

I would have to agree, the Kentucky outline behind the logo is a great touch! I prefer a court design like this over the new ones with colors everywhere, 

14 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

I have actually seen around 100 HS games in person this year, the worst fans I've encountered was N. Oldham.

No where near 100 for me, but I concur. I'd also be ruckus and annoying if my team was that good, to be fair.

The takes that Grant county fans were not yelling at Walton players and coaches just is not true. The bald man in the grey shirt that looked like he may have a heart attack the whole game was cussing at them very aggressively after the game as well as the man two rows behind him and the man in the tan flannel shirt behind the Grant bench. Of course it is not all fans but just those three only makes your program look crappy. As for the comment about competition of high school sports please check my other comments.  I understand why grant was pumped this don’t happen for them much lately. Again don’t aim it at players as a grown man it makes your fan base look like losers in life even if you win the game. 
 

As for the game Walton was out coached. Grant made halftime adjustments Walton did not and the numbers speak for themselves in the second half. I do agree with the post earlier about Hammond I really thought he had a 15 and 10 night then you see the stats and it kind of blows you away. 

1 minute ago, spilly willy said:

The takes that Grant county fans were not yelling at Walton players and coaches just is not true. The bald man in the grey shirt that looked like he may have a heart attack the whole game was cussing at them very aggressively after the game as well as the man two rows behind him and the man in the tan flannel shirt behind the Grant bench. Of course it is not all fans but just those three only makes your program look crappy. As for the comment about competition of high school sports please check my other comments.  I understand why grant was pumped this don’t happen for them much lately. Again don’t aim it at players as a grown man it makes your fan base look like losers in life even if you win the game. 
 

As for the game Walton was out coached. Grant made halftime adjustments Walton did not and the numbers speak for themselves in the second half. I do agree with the post earlier about Hammond I really thought he had a 15 and 10 night then you see the stats and it kind of blows you away. 

I was not on that side of the gym, but some GC fans seemed hostile all night. The only thing that I saw for certain is GC's student section saying things to Krohman as he walked off the court. Bad look, but they're kids. One thing is for certain, the players showed some real class. I know that I have mentioned it multiple times, but they all stayed together, opposing players hugging one another after the game. You sure didn't see that with the adults... almost like the roles were reversed. 

To the stats... I agree with you. It always appears as Hammonds has a quiet night, and will proceed to have 25 & 15. It is crazy, it only feels like he has a great night when he's in the mid-30's. I was almost certain that Wills led the team in scoring, he played great!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.