Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Grant County 80 Walton-Verona 76 (32nd District Semifinals)

Featured Replies

13 hours ago, ConverseAllStar said:

This may be an unpopular opinion regarding Coach Utter, but I’m not sure how you vote a guy coach of the year when you can’t teach your point guard to dribble with both hands. 

Wow that is harsh.  You could also say Grant County’s  point guard was never forced to go left by WV??? and was too fast for anyone from WV to come close to keeping up with him???? WV played off the PG a lot in the half court and let them set up offense most of second half. PG was very gritty-quick and lock down on ball defense.  Well done GC! 

  • Replies 114
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Wouldn’t that be a double dribble. Why would he teach that?

  • I was actually on the WV side, trust me , a lot of trash talking and garbage on that side also.  Great game, great crowd, if your weak hearted, you better stay home.

  • There was a few questionable calls in last nights game that I thought should have gone the other way. But, I hate the excuses every losing team makes after they lose. Walton loses, all you have is the

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, BA said:

This may be an unpopular opinion regarding Coach Utter, but I’m not sure how you vote a guy coach of the year when you can’t teach your point guard to dribble with both hands. 

He might not be the best ball-handler around, but he might be the hardest playing kid in the region. Not many kids have the motor he has, especially with how quick he is. Also, I don't see his ball-handling every hurting them? He gets it up the floor quick, finds the open guy, and manages the game well. He is the ideal point guard, and I think all of these things outweigh someone's dribbling ability. 

Great game to watch! Dixon rebounds great. I know Khroman struggled, but Hester did very little to get his best shooter shots. Felt like Hammonds had 15 points, and you see after he has 27 & 11 LOL. It appeared to me that Hammond's father was acting a fool, and Hester said something to him. This is irrelevant though. A coach should never have words with a player, which is what Walton's Asst coach did. There is no room for that. I believe the fan behavior would have been the same either way, no matter which team won. 

15 hours ago, bigapplekid said:

As someone who was born and raised in GC, but “escaped” — as I like to say — I can say with certainty that the fans relish comments like this, especially when they are said by those from Boone or Kenton, which are much wealthier and affluent communities than their less fortunate southern neighbors. I think they think there is a sense of entitlement over them. But I digress ?

I really wanted to respond to this but common sense tells me not to go there. But if that is how you feel I’m glad you were able to escape.

I watched over 100 different HS teams play this season. Without a doubt WV coaches and fans were the worst I seen.

Thanks for sharing the stream @Adrian Woj BurnerI watched the game back, and what a high level district opener by two teams!  Very entertaining game to watch. 

22 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

Thanks for sharing the stream @Adrian Woj BurnerI watched the game back, and what a high level district opener by two teams!  Very entertaining game to watch. 

It was a GREAT game, and the environment to add on just topped it off. 

1 hour ago, sportsfollower said:

I watched over 100 different HS teams play this season. Without a doubt WV coaches and fans were the worst I seen.

As a person in the stands with no dog in the fight, it seemed to trend both ways. I felt at times Grant County's side was out of control towards the refs, and did not show the greatest sportsmanship after winning. 

Onto WV, they were also aggressive towards refs, but no where near as bad. To be fair, some of the calls that they argued were questionable calls, but Grant County seemed to complain over anything that didn't go their way. WV did not show to greatest sportsmanship after the game as well. 

REMINDER: I am talking about fans, not anyone on the court! The sad part of it all, the players in the game seemed to have handled themselves better than majority of the fans!!!

11 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

As a person in the stands with no dog in the fight, it seemed to trend both ways. I felt at times Grant County's side was out of control towards the refs, and did not show the greatest sportsmanship after winning. 

Onto WV, they were also aggressive towards refs, but no where near as bad. To be fair, some of the calls that they argued were questionable calls, but Grant County seemed to complain over anything that didn't go their way. WV did not show to greatest sportsmanship after the game as well. 

REMINDER: I am talking about fans, not anyone on the court! The sad part of it all, the players in the game seemed to have handled themselves better than majority of the fans!!!

Agreed 100% Players are kids and kids don’t always do and say the right things in the moment. They get a pass. As long as it’s not over the top. Coaches should be wise. But a few are not. Poor officiating is what gets most fans wound up and sometimes tossed. That’s how the fan or coach or player is held accountable. But how is the referee held accountable for poor officiating? They aren’t. That’s why tourney games needs to be officiated by an unbiased crew. And yes bias does happen. 

6 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Why do teams shake hands after the game? Especially in a season ending situation.

My solution is to shake hands BEFORE the game, wish everyone good luck, stay healthy and then play. Once game is over losers head to the locker room and winners can revel in their victory.

I've played my whole life and been a fan as well. I’ve never understood why we do it in the order we do. As society keeps heading down more confrontational paths, post game lines have become increasingly “physical “

I agree with this. The problem from this game is the kids are the only ones who showed any maturity and respect for the game. The adults were the clear problem. 

Just a little history on this rivalry in the big three sports over the past ten years. 
Basketball Walton has won 10 times four coming in district play. Grant has won 7 times with 2 in district play counting last night. 
Football Walton is 4-0 vs Grant. They don’t play every year. 
Baseball Walton has 17 wins Grant has 8. 
Also if you cut this to 5 years it goes even more into Walton’s favor. So I can see why the game feels like game 7 of the World Series for the Grant fans.  But I will never give a pass for yelling at high school kid’s playing a game. As an adult you should have more self control. 

2 hours ago, Deaconjim said:

I really wanted to respond to this but common sense tells me not to go there. But if that is how you feel I’m glad you were able to escape.

This is partially my own inside joke. It’s not a critique of the county. I have generations of relatives who are from there and at least 80 or so currently residing. I’m one of the few who left, but I visit often. 

  • Author
37 minutes ago, StevnASmith said:

Agreed 100% Players are kids and kids don’t always do and say the right things in the moment. They get a pass. As long as it’s not over the top. Coaches should be wise. But a few are not. Poor officiating is what gets most fans wound up and sometimes tossed. That’s how the fan or coach or player is held accountable. But how is the referee held accountable for poor officiating? They aren’t. That’s why tourney games needs to be officiated by an unbiased crew. And yes bias does happen. 

Wasn’t the crew from the Louisville/Shelbyville area?  I doubt they cared about the outcome.  Although, I do agree that officials don’t seem to be held accountable for bad calls, maybe they do? It’s gonna get worse though with fewer young people going into it, so more mistakes will be tolerated. Especially in high school football.

5 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

Wasn’t the crew from the Louisville/Shelbyville area?  I doubt they cared about the outcome.  Although, I do agree that officials don’t seem to be held accountable for bad calls, maybe they do? It’s gonna get worse though with fewer young people going into it, so more mistakes will be tolerated. Especially in high school football.

There was a few questionable calls in last nights game that I thought should have gone the other way. But, I hate the excuses every losing team makes after they lose. Walton loses, all you have is their fans complaining about refs. Same thing would have happened to Grant fans if they would have lost too. The officiating did not decide the outcome in this game. You get 32 minutes to decide that yourself. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.