Varsity Basketball Games, School Spirit, Band, and Cheerleaders?

5-oh

20 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

To contradict my own statement, Grant Countt holds a little more and their atmosphere is good for these games, but not as good as WV or Williamstown.

Should schools begin building smaller gyms when they’re rebuilt?

While I mostly agree with everything that has been stated, there are so many options for students these days, which is great.  I love high school basketball but not everything revolves around it like it used to.  Let’s take what we can get.

My issue is more with the lack of cheerleaders and pep band at home games as opposed to fan attendance.  Although it sucks that only a few schools truly have student sections that are alive and well represented, even the smaller schools could and should have the band and cheer at every home game.  After all, that’s why they participate in those groups, it’s their “game day” too, their time to shine.  I’ve seen wayyyy more games without either in attendance this year than I’ve seen games with both.  And I agree, it sucks for the kids.  

• Like 1

I’ve seen student sections that are relatively full but the students don’t cheer like they used to.  If the section has a really good “leader”  that can make a difference.

Too many times I look over at the student section and the majority are looking at their phones and not paying any attention to the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ConverseAllStar said:

Call me crazy, and I'm dating myself, but the trend began back in 1978 when the TV show Dallas (Who Shot JR?) began airing on Friday nights.  Prior to that, there was nothing else to do on a Friday night, and high school gyms across the country were packed with pep clubs, cheerleaders, bands, parents, relatives, and young kids (many brought to the games on fan busses). It was the thing to do on Friday nights and school spirit was at a peak.  When Dallas started airing things changed . . . everyone wanted to tune in . . . people  had other other options . . . and high school basketball attendance began its unfortunate decline.

Also, the amount of weekday games in Kentucky dilutes the fan base, as well as 30 regular season games.  Look at attendance across the river in Indiana:  more Friday & Saturday night games, 20 game regular season, each game means more and attendance is greater.  

I was in a gym cheering on my classmates on Feb. 22, 1980 when the Miracle on Ice occurred.  The PA guy announced it at the game and the crowd went crazy.  That was yet another poor decision on my part during my high school years.  😉

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Deaconjim said:

Great atmosphere at Walton tonight. There wasn't` an empty seat to be had.

13 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

You guys should have been at WV tonight.

I got this off the Walton-Verona's twitter account from last nights game.  

image.thumb.png.1394f0ac7a6d3b7ff4b6a21a488e5364.png

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Completely agree. 

You give me a good band with a solid brass section and drumline, I'll turn any gym out. 

Gotta get to a game at the Fieldhouse.

MC's band brings it!  The Percussion section especially... and I'm REALLY biased. 

• Like 1

To me it seems like there are too many cheerleaders, when I was in school a long time ago (class of 73), we had no more than 8 to 10 cheerleaders, now when I go to games it seems like there are 20 o 25. I think back then they had tryouts and made cuts, now I think if you go out you make it no matter what.

Just now, dshoe40 said:

To me it seems like there are too many cheerleaders, with I was in school a long time ago (class of 73), we had no more than 8 to 10 cheerleaders, now when I go to games it seems like there are 20 o 25. I think back then they had tryouts and made cuts, now I think if you go out you make it no matter what.

I remember being at a Dunbar game once several years ago and they had Cheerleaders as far as the eye could see.