ChatGPT

mcpapa

1 hour ago, mcpapa said:

Anyone familiar with this?  Apparently some form of AI essay-writing program.  

Gonna make teacher’ jobs very interesting. 

Not this one in particular but I assume you can let the AI write a paper for you, do a little bit of editing, and bam you get an A. 

I can't imagine it would be that easy. I've been working on my MBA for the last year and a half, and have had to write plenty of papers. Based on my recent experience, I would think this would have plenty of problems. One, I don't see how AI can pull together and cite and incorporate relevant sources into the paper. Also, teachers use software that can analyze writing not just for plagiarism, but for consistent tone, grammar, and style. One thing I've found is that many of my classes have required participation in discussion forums, which gives a professor plenty of samples of your writing style to match up against any papers you've submitted. All that being said, there are lots of tools out there that can be easily accessed (for a small price) that give you all the answers for problems. Even with those though, you are taking a chance, because while you might be able to skate by using those tools for homework, if the teacher makes you use a lockdown browser (which doesn't allow you to access other sites while taking an online exam and records you while taking the exam), if you truly haven't learned the material, it will be very apparent in your poor exam scores.

3 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I can't imagine it would be that easy. I've been working on my MBA for the last year and a half, and have had to write plenty of papers. Based on my recent experience, I would think this would have plenty of problems. One, I don't see how AI can pull together and cite and incorporate relevant sources into the paper. Also, teachers use software that can analyze writing not just for plagiarism, but for consistent tone, grammar, and style. One thing I've found is that many of my classes have required participation in discussion forums, which gives a professor plenty of samples of your writing style to match up against any papers you've submitted. All that being said, there are lots of tools out there that can be easily accessed (for a small price) that give you all the answers for problems. Even with those though, you are taking a chance, because while you might be able to skate by using those tools for homework, if the teacher makes you use a lockdown browser (which doesn't allow you to access other sites while taking an online exam and records you while taking the exam), if you truly haven't learned the material, it will be very apparent in your poor exam scores.

Would the online exam be in person?  And if not, could you have a second computer to assist you?

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Would the online exam be in person?  And if not, could you have a second computer to assist you?

Mine is an online only program. I know some of my sons classes are in person, but exams or other work are turned in online. If the teacher doesn't require a lockdown browser, you can basically do whatever you want. Lockdown browsers require you to take the exam while being recorded. Prior to starting you have to record your surroundings, and they also can apparently determine if you are looking somewhere or at something you shouldn't be. It even disables extra monitors. I guess if you really thought about it, you could probably figure something out to get a second computer into the mix. I have a Mac and PC in my office, but haven't really thought about trying to use both to cheat an exam. I think the biggest problem to solve is how you would explain typing into the second computer but nothing happening on the one you're taking the exam on. I've heard some people use well placed post it notes to cheat online exams. 

• Thanks 1