Southwestern at Scott County Predictions/Updates

DevilMayCare

Cardinals vs. Warriors  

48 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

70i2bq.thumb.jpg.1745ec648f80e0c339c6ea0bcf00500a.jpg

After Laying Highlands Low, Cardinals Prepare For Unbeaten Warriors Still Searching For Respect 

Records: Scott County (11-1) | Southwestern (12-0)

BGP Ranking: Scott County (#2 in 5A) | Southwestern (#6 in 5A)

Series History: First ever meeting

Table Setter: We think we know how this class is going to shake out. Frederick Douglass is going to raise the big trophy at Kroger Field in a couple of weeks and finally take its place on the throne it's been chasing in vain. That may very well be the case when all is said and done, but their rival to the north is in the midst of writing another successful chapter in the storybook of its gridiron lineage. Who in this class has had a better month than the Cardinals? Wins over Ballard, Lexington Catholic, and most recently, Highlands have created a storm cell of momentum in Georgetown. Scott County looks like it wants another shot at taming the wild horse.

With the Bluebirds caged, the Cards must reshuffle their deck and prepare for perhaps the most overlooked unbeaten in the state. Southwestern has backed up ten and eleven win seasons in 2020 and 2021 with a school record twelve this year and are playing in the quarterfinal round for the seventh year in a row, yet they're still searching for a signature win to inspire the same respect enjoyed by their peers. When the topic of championship contention comes up, it's the usual suspects, but never the Warriors. A win in Georgetown would change that in a hurry.

Both teams have running the ball ingrained in their DNA with multiple weapons taking turns carrying the mail. Neither team is likely to throw to set up the run, but both are highly capable through the air. And both feature quality defensive units with lapses few and far between. Many similarities, few differences. It's physical, old school football at its finest, but also a reminder of the beauty that simplicity inspires. Not a game of checkers, but a blue collar chess match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don’t know why Southwestern hasn’t gotten respect by some. They have a very good football team, they may not be FD, but they are definitely good. Teams like this can quietly continue. I’d say Scott County is the favorite but SW winning wouldn’t surprise me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hrcarrier said:

Don’t know why Southwestern hasn’t gotten respect by some. They have a very good football team, they may not be FD, but they are definitely good. Teams like this can quietly continue. I’d say Scott County is the favorite but SW winning wouldn’t surprise me.

This.

Although I do feel like Scott County is hot right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I'm inclined to think Scott County handles business here, but feel I really don't know very much at all about Southwestern so I'm going to hold my vote for a little bit.

2 power running teams - coin flip but SW hasn’t lost so I’m rolling with them.

10 minutes ago, Brown said:

2 power running teams - coin flip but SW hasn’t lost so I’m rolling with them.

You said it. Both very physical, “old school”, very talented, well coached and come right at you.  This will be one heck of a game IMO as well.  

This is Southwestern’s 8th Region Title game since 2014 -their 7th straight since 2016. Throw in Scott County and the program they’ve been under Jim McKee for 20-25 years that the whole state is firmly aware of and this has the makings for a potential classic.

• Like 5

• theguru changed the title to Southwestern at Scott County Predictions/Updates
26 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

It should be NFHS Network with their good radio guys they always do all of Scott Co. home games.

Thank you.  I know a lot of teams don't upload the link to the game until late in the week.  I will post it when I see it.

• Like 1

So how does Southwestern handle the vaunted Wing-T? I was at the Highlands game and they ran it to near perfection. Connected on few passes after lulling the defense to sleep and missed on a few more. What kind of offense does Southwestern run? I’ll be rooting for the Wing-T for their run because it was awesome to watch In person. Good luck and safe travels to all.