Metcalfe County at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

Mayfield is no question one of the toughest places to go win in the state, maybe the country. I've been there several times for games and its always a special place to watch a game and I'm happy this group gets to compete there. To make many of us feel old, no member of this team had been born the last time Metcalfe went to Mayfield 12-0 in 2003. Maybe it's fate that this team avenges that loss many years ago. I feel Metcalfe will be able to run the ball in this game. It comes down to Metcalfe needs to play mistake free and get a couple big plays on each side of the ball. It's possible and I'm excited for the trip. Go Hornets!  

10 hours ago, Kjessie23 said:

Mayfield is no question one of the toughest places to go win in the state, maybe the country. I've been there several times for games and its always a special place to watch a game and I'm happy this group gets to compete there. To make many of us feel old, no member of this team had been born the last time Metcalfe went to Mayfield 12-0 in 2003. Maybe it's fate that this team avenges that loss many years ago. I feel Metcalfe will be able to run the ball in this game. It comes down to Metcalfe needs to play mistake free and get a couple big plays on each side of the ball. It's possible and I'm excited for the trip. Go Hornets!  

Kjessie, we will welcome you all with open arms, be sure to arrive early enough to get some tailgating appetizers.
Incidentally, tell everyone not to go to the school , Mayfield does not play their games at the school, Google Mayfield-Graves County Sr Citizens and that will get you to the stadium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kjessie23 said:

The best offense to take to Mayfield is a run focused offense. It takes away part of Mayfield's home field advantage if you don't rely on passing the ball. Mayfield's last two home losses were to a run focused team. I am NOT saying Metcalfe wins this. Honestly, I don't think they have a chance. But Metcalfe has the right offense to take away some of the value of War Memorial Stadium.

• Like 1

I don't think Metcalfe County beats Mayfield, but I think they could keep it close for a half. Then get worn down the second half and Mayfield pulls away. 

Metcalfe has issues stopping the pass and screens on the edge, both of which Mayfield does very well. That is where I think Mayfield wins the game, but I don't think Mayfield will have a ton of success running the football, as Danville only rushed for around 150 yards against Metcalfe. Also, Metcalfe had two touchdowns called back against Danville, if they do that with Mayfield, they are in for a long night. You can't afford those penalties when playing a team like Mayfield. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GC-Dragons said:

I don't think Metcalfe County beats Mayfield, but I think they could keep it close for a half. Then get worn down the second half and Mayfield pulls away. 

Metcalfe has issues stopping the pass and screens on the edge, both of which Mayfield does very well. That is where I think Mayfield wins the game, but I don't think Mayfield will have a ton of success running the football, as Danville only rushed for around 150 yards against Metcalfe. Also, Metcalfe had two touchdowns called back against Danville, if they do that with Mayfield, they are in for a long night. You can't afford those penalties when playing a team like Mayfield. 

Mayfield should be able to run the ball. They have a big fast back in Starks and a small quick back in Dumas. It will be a balanced offense. My prediction is 42-7. 

• Like 1

One thing I know for certain is that the running game for Mayfield and Danville won't yield much of a comparison. Mayfield has the kids to spread it out and get it to players in space, but don't let the play calling fool you. When it's time to be physical and mash somebody, the Cardinals will oblige in kind.

Metcalfe will present some challenges and will provide Mayfield with film exploiting some things. I think that's where the positivity stops I fear. The Hornets have a lot to be happy about right now and they are a quality team, this is just such a large jump in multiple areas from anyone they have played thus far.

• Like 1

I will be rooting for Metcalfe, I love seeing these small county teams having success but I figure they will probably get beat pretty easily I don’t think it will be a running clock just by the way they play it makes it hard to blow them out. If Metcalfe were to win would it be the biggest upset in playoff history. The biggest I can think of off the top of my head was a Hazard team with a losing record upsetting Pikeville a couple years ago.

29 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I will be rooting for Metcalfe, I love seeing these small county teams having success but I figure they will probably get beat pretty easily I don’t think it will be a running clock just by the way they play it makes it hard to blow them out. If Metcalfe were to win would it be the biggest upset in playoff history. The biggest I can think of off the top of my head was a Hazard team with a losing record upsetting Pikeville a couple years ago.

I too love to see the small (Hoosiers) County teams slay the big boys, just not this time.  Stop talking about it, it makes me have scary dreams.  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toothpick said:

I too love to see the small (Hoosiers) County teams slay the big boys, just not this time.  Stop talking about it, it makes me have scary dreams.  😂

I understand completely I’m for the underdog unless it’s my team and then I want them to win by 100.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

If Metcalfe were to win would it be the biggest upset in playoff history. The biggest I can think of off the top of my head was a Hazard team with a losing record upsetting Pikeville a couple years ago.

Probably for another thread, but would be interested to rank some that I have seen in my lifetime.

I think at the top of the list for me is when Graves Co upset Bowling Green in the regional title 7-0 back in 2014.

• Like 3

Metcalfe has a tough team, but style of play puts them at a disadvantage.  Mayfield has an explosive offense that can score quickly.  Metcalfe relies on ball control and moving the chains.  I have seen in some of their games online where they onside kick for every kickoff.  They recovered the opening kickoff against Danville, and then another one with 4 minutes left to seal the game.  If they can get a few of those tonight, and score on the majority of their possesions, then they will have a chance to be in the game.  If Mayfield gets up by multiple scores I don't see Metcalfe having a chance.  I don't know the stats, but they throw 5 times a game, maybe not even that.

• Like 1