Change My Mind

theguru

• theguru changed the title to Change My Mind

Not going to try and change anyone's mind. What I will ask for is a thread like this the first week of basketball district tournaments and another thread like this the first round of district baseball. Ugly games abound in the other sports as well. Basketball games 100-20. Baseball games 25-0 in 3 innings. I don't get why it bothers people for football and not for the other sports. 

But here is a solution. Allow any team that doesn't want to play a first round game to choose not to play. I say there will be very, very few teams that choose not to play a first round playoff game in any sport.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

But here is a solution. Allow any team that doesn't want to play a first round game to choose not to play. I say there will be very, very few teams that choose not to play a first round playoff game in any sport.

I think you may be surprised actually. I would not be surprised at all to see some or three teams driving 4+ hours for a running clock to opt out.

• Like 2

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I think you may be surprised actually. I would not be surprised at all to see some or three teams driving 4+ hours for a running clock to opt out.

Don’t they have that option now?  I mean they can just forfeit and not play, right?

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I would be surprised if no one opted. I just don't think there would be very many. For example, in 2A the only schools I see that would even think about opting out are Trimble County playing Beechwood and Edmonson County playing LCA. In 6A, Marshall County to Simon Kenton is a haul so I could see that as an opt out. I would guess less than 10 teams opt out statewide and it could be as few as 3 or 4.

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not going to try and change anyone's mind. What I will ask for is a thread like this the first week of basketball district tournaments and another thread like this the first round of district baseball. Ugly games abound in the other sports as well. Basketball games 100-20. Baseball games 25-0 in 3 innings. I don't get why it bothers people for football and not for the other sports. 

I would be fine with doing away with districts in other sports. Just take top 8 teams in each region by RPI and have region tournament. Make making the playoffs mean something.

Matchups like Barren County at Henderson County for a playoff game should never happen, This is a predictable train wreck. Henderson County scores 60-70 points in this game. Barren County is one of the worst 6A teams in the state. 

How about decrease the number of districts and have districts with 6-8 teams. Then take only the top 2 teams in each district for the playoffs. 

0-10 Teams like Oldham County and Lafayette make the playoffs? Really! 

And how about we insert a human element into the rating process for playoff seedings like the AP poll?

3 minutes ago, Hardin County Preps said:

Matchups like Barren County at Henderson County for a playoff game should never happen, This is a predictable train wreck. Henderson County scores 60-70 points in this game. Barren County is one of the worst 6A teams in the state. 

How about decrease the number of districts and have districts with 6-8 teams. Then take only the top 2 teams in each district for the playoffs. 

And how about we insert a human element into the rating process for playoff seedings like the AP poll?

I would use Calpreps for seeding. AP is not good in my opinion.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hardin County Preps said:

Bingo, but maybe figure out a way for top 4 teams. 

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I would be fine with doing away with districts in other sports. Just take top 8 teams in each region by RPI and have region tournament. Make making the playoffs mean something.

I can't state here how strongly I am opposed to restricting playoffs. I want opportunity for as many as possible. In football especially there is a huge problem of the top teams dominating year after year. Restrict access further to those top teams and the sports will keep losing participants. It is about the experience for all these athletes first and foremost above winning. Restricting the playoffs makes it more about winning and less about experience and opportunity for as many young people as possible.

• Like 5