Change My Mind

theguru

2 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

Matchups like Barren County at Henderson County for a playoff game should never happen, This is a predictable train wreck. Henderson County scores 60-70 points in this game. Barren County is one of the worst 6A teams in the state. 

How about decrease the number of districts and have districts with 6-8 teams. Then take only the top 2 teams in each district for the playoffs. 

0-10 Teams like Oldham County and Lafayette make the playoffs? Really! 

And how about we insert a human element into the rating process for playoff seedings like the AP poll?

Increase the district teams & decrease playoff spots? Why would you do that? 

I'm for giving the district winner a round one bye & taking top 3 from each district. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I think you may be surprised actually. I would not be surprised at all to see some or three teams driving 4+ hours for a running clock to opt out.

Marshall County to Simon Kenton? People drive shorter distances for vacation lol.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I can't state here how strongly I am opposed to restricting playoffs. I want opportunity for as many as possible. In football especially there is a huge problem of the top teams dominating year after year. Restrict access further to those top teams and the sports will keep losing participants. It is about the experience for all these athletes first and foremost above winning. Restricting the playoffs makes it more about winning and less about experience and opportunity for as many young people as possible.

They get plenty of regular season opportunities and getting crushed in 1st round matchups isn't fun and it will mean something to qualify for playoffs that kids can at least hang their hat on if lose early. If teams don't qualify for playoffs then let them schedule one extra game against a opponent that will be competitive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I would be fine with doing away with districts in other sports. Just take top 8 teams in each region by RPI and have region tournament. Make making the playoffs mean something.

Coming from a person that graduated from a small school, that would be wrong and a very unfair idea to use RPI only for the other sports. Since most small schools and even middle size schools when they have a very good team could possibly miss out to bigger schools that may not even be as good as them. So unless they then decide to go to 6 classes for both baseball and basketball too, then that would be stupid to do away with districts and just use RPI to rank top 8 teams in a region to determine who goes to the post season. 

Now I am for teams actually have to earn it to make the post season. Which is what happens in baseball and basketball already because of the district tournaments. Personally I liked it when it was 4 classes in football, since teams then did have to earn it to make the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Coming from a person that graduated from a small school, that would be wrong and a very unfair idea to use RPI only for the other sports. Since most small schools and even middle size schools when they have a very good team could possibly miss out to bigger schools that may not even be as good as them. So unless they then decide to go to 6 classes for both baseball and basketball too, then that would be stupid to do away with districts and just use RPI to rank top 8 teams in a region to determine who goes to the post season. 

Now I am for teams actually have to earn it to make the post season. Which is what happens in baseball and basketball already because of the district tournaments. Personally I liked it when it was 4 classes in football, since teams then did have to earn it to make the playoffs. 

I would be in favor of classes. Teams like St. X and Trinity, for example, have huge advantage over smaller schools.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Not true. The basketball district tournaments are the same as the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs in football. Same story for baseball. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not true. The basketball district tournaments are the same as the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs in football. Same story for baseball. 

Football doesn’t play their same district anymore in the playoffs. Plus even when football played its own district first in the playoffs, not everyone automatically got a chance still like in baseball and basketball if you want to go that route and say it’s the same. Since Boone County hasn’t played in a playoff game, since they been in their current district in football. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

No doubt about that. Small schools have in a way created their own class with the the all A tourney.

That is true, and that was created in large part to help prevent from going to classes in basketball and baseball.  If the ALL A tournament never came about, years ago. Then Kentucky probably would have gave him like most states and would have switched to classes even for basketball and baseball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Except you can lose a basketball or baseball game in the district and still advance to the region.

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Football doesn’t play their same district anymore in the playoffs. Plus even when football played its own district first in the playoffs, not everyone automatically got a chance still like in baseball and basketball if you want to go that route and say it’s the same. Since Boone County hasn’t played in a playoff game, since they been in their current district in football. 

Quibbling.