Preseason Northern Kentucky Top 10

11 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Sounds good, I’m still sitting at 3 even without Robinson.

Agree. I’m excited to see Highlands this year. I think Coach Sphire will have things rolling soon. 

On 7/19/2022 at 5:20 PM, hoopsjunky said:

Beechwood is the solid #1, coaching staff motivates and develops. I am tired of hearing SK being the cream of the crop, they seem to always disappoint much like early expectations for Highlands.  I drop by South Kenton feeder practices last season,  numbers appeared way down. That is where the foundation is laid! I just can't bite on Ryle and SK hype, way too much underachieving the past years. 

It's a bold statement to claim under achieving hype about Ryle. Not disputing BW has talent, but when they are playing Newport and NC when Ryle is playing X and Trinity. I see many people viewing Ryle as to 1,2, or 3 in NKY. They will be very good and tough matchup for anyone, considering bringing back starting QB, RB, top WR, and two OL, as well as entire secondary. This team will be senior driven with some very good under classmen. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 859sports said:

It's a bold statement to claim under achieving hype about Ryle. Not disputing BW has talent, but when they are playing Newport and NC when Ryle is playing X and Trinity. I see many people viewing Ryle as to 1,2, or 3 in NKY. They will be very good and tough matchup for anyone, considering bringing back starting QB, RB, top WR, and two OL, as well as entire secondary. This team will be senior driven with some very good under classmen. 

They play in 2A. They have to play Newport due to district, and NC is rivalry game dating back 20+ years. Make sure you check the scores against the 5-6A schools too. Last time Ryle and BW met, tigers were victorious too might I had. Rash does as best he can to schedule up, he can’t help his district play. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 859sports said:

I don’t think it’s really bold for someone to say Ryle has underachieved or been overhyped overall the last 5 years. At least in regards to most of the hype they seem to get in the pre season every year. In the last 5 years Ryle has been talked up a lot it seems, but until last season they had lost in the 1st round of the playoffs four straight years before going on a nice run last year. In those 4 straight first round losses it wasn’t the top teams like Trinity, Male, etc. knocking them out either. I would think many at Ryle probably would even say they underachieved many of those years. 

So I would say it is fair for someone to say they may have been overhyped the majority of the time the last 5 years, but that did change last year. So they deserve the high praise they have going in to this year. As I believe they should be really good again this year, and have a very good senior class and a very good QB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I don’t think it’s really bold for someone to say Ryle has underachieved or been overhyped overall the last 5 years. At least in regards to most of the hype they seem to get in the pre season every year. In the last 5 years Ryle has been talked up a lot it seems, but until last season they had lost in the 1st round of the playoffs four straight years before going on a nice run last year. In those 4 straight first round losses it wasn’t the top teams like Trinity, Male, etc. knocking them out either. I would think many at Ryle probably would even say they underachieved many of those years. 

So I would say it is fair for someone to say they may have been overhyped the majority of the time the last 5 years, but that did change last year. So they deserve the high praise they have going in to this year. As I believe they should be really good again this year, and have a very good senior class and a very good QB. 

Although I do agree with the sentiment of what you said. I can't recall a time Ryle lost in first round of playoffs. While the losses weren't always to the biggest names in the state, and expectations some of those years believe they might not have gone as far as hoped or believe they could... This is Ryle's last game over that span... Still to some pretty big names

16... Scott Co
17... Butler
18... Tates Creek
19... Dixie
20... Dixie
21... Trinity

15 minutes ago, 859sports said:

Although I do agree with the sentiment of what you said. I can't recall a time Ryle lost in first round of playoffs. While the losses weren't always to the biggest names in the state, and expectations some of those years believe they might not have gone as far as hoped or believe they could... This is Ryle's last game over that span... Still to some pretty big names

16... Scott Co
17... Butler
18... Tates Creek
19... Dixie
20... Dixie
21... Trinity

Everything you just said is what I am talking about. You probably would have never thought they lost in the 1st round in the playoffs 4 years in a row, because of how much hype and talk they seem to get on here every year. However, they did indeed lose in the first round four of the last five seasons. Which is why the other guy mentioned how Ryle gets overhyped each year and then underachieves. That 2017 lost to Butler was in the first round. The 2018 lost to Tates Creek was in the first round. The 2019 and 2020 losses to Dixie was in the first round. Ryle until last year had lost in the first round four straight seasons. Then last year they changed that though and went on a nice run and it did take a top team like Trinity to end that run in the third round. However, until last year they had definitely underachieved in regards to how much hype and talk they usually get from people. 

I look for this year to be a fun battle with Ryle and SK in that district. With one of those two teams making a nice little run in the playoffs. Which right now I definitely give Ryle the edge. 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, LoudenSwain said:

A lot of folks are gonna be really surprised to see just how many GOOD players there are on Beechwoods team now that they will be relied on more. They lost a lot, but have a lot coming back. 

1. Beechwood (You want this spot, take it. Beechwood has earned it until someone else wins the titles. Talk is cheap)

where the speculation begins……

2. SK

3. Ryle

4. Cooper

5. Highlands

6. CCH

7. Dixie

Toss ups from here IMO  

Getting close to kickoff, Keep grinding young fellas!!!

Where is all the Cooper love coming from? They got everything coming back this year?

12 hours ago, 859sports said:

I agree that Ryle will be tough this year (and #1 preseason NKY) and the underachieving comment was a stretch. Discrediting Beechwood for their schedule when they play Cov Cath, Dixie, and Simon Kenton every year is bizarre. They do not shy away from the “big schools”. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, 859sports said:

What wins games? DEFENSE!!! Reference the announcers for State game of rematch with LCA. The defense put up "unheard of stats". Now answer this, what did BW loose on the defensive side? A HUGE core of the defense is back, especially at the LB position which played a HUGE part in last year's success. What has Ryle or any other program in NKY done the past 5 years to make you think there performance will improve. Ryle has way too much kids quiting and inter-coach confrontations.  SK is always slated to contend for Ship. Please tell me who has actually lived up to or exceeded expectations the past few years?!!!! Lastly,  don't sell Clay short, he will surprise everyone!!! If you don't know the reference,Clay, how are you able to evaluate a program.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hoopsjunky said:

What wins games? DEFENSE!!! Reference the announcers for State game of rematch with LCA. The defense put up "unheard of stats". Now answer this, what did BW loose on the defensive side? A HUGE core of the defense is back, especially at the LB position which played a HUGE part in last year's success. What has Ryle or any other program in NKY done the past 5 years to make you think there performance will improve. Ryle has way too much kids quiting and inter-coach confrontations.  SK is always slated to contend for Ship. Please tell me who has actually lived up to or exceeded expectations the past few years?!!!! Lastly,  don't sell Clay short, he will surprise everyone!!! If you don't know the reference,Clay, how are you able to evaluate a program.

BW defense this year should be even stronger, as surprising as that sounds. They lose very little, and have, in my opinion the best LB core in 2A and possibly in NKY. Xavier Campbell and Torin O’Shea come back as starters on the DL who were at the front of the attack. Expect this team on defense to be stifling. It seems hard to one up last year, but I have a good feeling this team will be even more special than last year on defense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 3:17 PM, futurecoach said:

Everything you just said is what I am talking about. You probably would have never thought they lost in the 1st round in the playoffs 4 years in a row, because of how much hype and talk they seem to get on here every year. However, they did indeed lose in the first round four of the last five seasons. Which is why the other guy mentioned how Ryle gets overhyped each year and then underachieves. That 2017 lost to Butler was in the first round. The 2018 lost to Tates Creek was in the first round. The 2019 and 2020 losses to Dixie was in the first round. Ryle until last year had lost in the first round four straight seasons. Then last year they changed that though and went on a nice run and it did take a top team like Trinity to end that run in the third round. However, until last year they had definitely underachieved in regards to how much hype and talk they usually get from people. 

I look for this year to be a fun battle with Ryle and SK in that district. With one of those two teams making a nice little run in the playoffs. Which right now I definitely give Ryle the edge. 

2020 wasn't a first round loss. Ryle list to Dixie in the District Championship game. Each team got a week off after the regular season. They were scheduled to play Campbell in the first round. Campbell had to forgo forfeit due to covid. The loss to Dixie I will give as underachieving in they district championship.

7 hours ago, hoopsjunky said:

From a very good source… this has at least one false statement for sure. I don’t know of any “inter-coach confrontations”. Excited football is finally back though! Looking forward to working hard to meet all expectations.

source: me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2