Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is too much Practice?

Featured Replies

What are some schools off season workouts specifically Spring Football? Do schools lift in the morning before school and then practice after school? Do they have have Classroom work? What is too much? What is not enough? Let me hear some timelines on what Schools around the State of Ky follow daily in their routines.

27 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

What are some schools off season workouts specifically Spring Football? Do schools lift in the morning before school and then practice after school? Do they have have Classroom work? What is too much? What is not enough? Let me hear some timelines on what Schools around the State of Ky follow daily in their routines.

I have heard in the past that at Highlands it is nearly 365 days a year and a couple of the diehards I talked to about it didn't want to criticize it but they definitely thought it was a lot.

I read a quote on twitter yesterday that basically said that back in the glory days no one missed a high school practice, however, back in the good old days most good teams did not have to practice year around.

At Franklin County its a lot. But those kids get treated like kings for their efforts. 

For football its tough, because if you're not practicing/lifting your kids in the offseason then they're likely going to be spending that time with 7 on 7 teams, AAU Basketball, or Travel Team Baseball. If you're not coaching your kids then likely someone else is. 

1 hour ago, DearToday said:

For football its tough, because if you're not practicing/lifting your kids in the offseason then they're likely going to be spending that time with 7 on 7 teams, AAU Basketball, or Travel Team Baseball. If you're not coaching your kids then likely someone else is. 

Great post.

”If your not coaching your kids then likely someone else is”

Super point and I’d also add that someone else may be talking to your kid as well.

There is no substitute for hard work. Whether it be athletes or school work or a job, the “luckiest” people seem to always be the hardest workers!

The KSHAA mandates a two week dead period. Evidently they think that is enough downtime.

5 hours ago, DearToday said:

For football its tough, because if you're not practicing/lifting your kids in the offseason then they're likely going to be spending that time with 7 on 7 teams, AAU Basketball, or Travel Team Baseball. If you're not coaching your kids then likely someone else is. 

Here in Louisville I would add personal trainers who will be with kids when not practicing especially in off season. Aspirations gym gets a lot of top kids around Louisville.

11 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Here in Louisville I would add personal trainers who will be with kids when not practicing especially in off season. Aspirations gym gets a lot of top kids around Louisville.

And a lot of times those trainers turn into "handlers". You kind of have to have your own kids all year round unless you want some other randoms coaching/influencing them. 

20 hours ago, Big Fletch said:

I read a quote on twitter yesterday that basically said that back in the glory days no one missed a high school practice, however, back in the good old days most good teams did not have to practice year around.

I'd counter that by saying I've read numerous newspaper articles from even up into the 1980s where coaches lamented the fact that their players weren't available for practice until late in the evening, if at all, because of farm work. That just isn't really a thing in most communities, even rural ones like where I live, like it was 30-40 years ago.

38 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I'd counter that by saying I've read numerous newspaper articles from even up into the 1980s where coaches lamented the fact that their players weren't available for practice until late in the evening, if at all, because of farm work. That just isn't really a thing in most communities, even rural ones like where I live, like it was 30-40 years ago.

I Coached for 15 years and we still practice in the evenings because even though farm work is not as prominent anymore our athletes were still working.  The point I was making is that many coaches think it is important to dominate a student athletes calendar for most of the year excluding dead period and expect them to not miss a practice.  I understand not missing a practice during normal preseason and in-season but this idea of not missing a June practice to go on a family vacation is ridiculous.  I remember sitting in a conference with a multi State Championship winning Coach and him saying would I rather have a kid resenting me in August when I wouldn't let him miss a work out to go fishing with his grandfather in June.  Some coaches need to ease up because if your system is so difficult that you are installing it in May then you probably will not be overly successful.

So are we saying the coach is expecting too much from the boys in Fort Thomas this offseason?

Does this fall in the be careful what you wish for category?

27 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

So are we saying the coach is expecting too much from the boys in Fort Thomas this offseason?

Does this fall in the be careful what you wish for category?

Or, in a slightly less pot stirring way, they could just be saying the offseason expectations are vastly different than they had been and a general curiosity as to how these expectations/hours compare to other schools' offseason programs?   

28 minutes ago, uninformedexpert said:

Or, in a slightly less pot stirring way, they could just be saying the offseason expectations are vastly different than they had been and a general curiosity as to how these expectations/hours compare to other schools' offseason programs?   

Yeah if that was the intent it would have been asked that way from the beginning.  Not "what is too much?"

I think it depends on the kid and that the coach has to handle and make exceptions for certain kids differently. If a kids is playing multiple sports then they can't expect to keep them all year. However, if a kid only plays football and this is the player's only outlet then it might be an overall good for the kids to have something to do year round. I think it takes discernment for a coach to see their program and the types of kids that they have as a whole and make a good judgement call for the kids that he coaches. It is always to put them first and make decisions that is best for the kids within the program. Structure year-round is what a lot of kids need. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.