9th Region Draw

32 minutes ago, Instride said:

I don't think it was a "guts thing".  i just think they were attempting to call them out.  For me, i wont opine on that decision but am a little impressed for taking the stand.  My stand is to play them 10 times a year - but the teams I like have to.

If it's about "calling them out", I'm not sure what you could call them out for.  They're not breaking rules and if all the other schools could do it, and I don't mean rule wise I mean had the draw like CCH has, then they would do it.  Beechwood has out of district kids, Holy Cross took Scott's best player who is going to be one of the best to ever come out of NKY, Scott took kids from Holmes a few years ago, Newport has had a plethora of non-Newport kids over the years, and I am pretty sure that Cooper's rosters have been speckled with some questionable "how'd he get there" players.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

The difference is last season St. Henry beat them during the regular season and Highlands had a great team who played them decently during the regular season.  This season the 9th Region teams that had the guts to play Cov Cath not only didn't win but their closest game was 20 points to Conner.  Can anything happen in the tournament?  Absolutely, but it would be an upset on par with UMBC over Virginia in the NCAA Tournament.

Interesting take.  I guess Highlands and Cooper knew CCH was going to be extremely good this year and decided not to schedule them even though they had consistently played in the past.  You're right, they must have been extremely scared. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

If it's about "calling them out", I'm not sure what you could call them out for.  They're not breaking rules and if all the other schools could do it, and I don't mean rule wise I mean had the draw like CCH has, then they would do it.  Beechwood has out of district kids, Holy Cross took Scott's best player who is going to be one of the best to ever come out of NKY, Scott took kids from Holmes a few years ago, Newport has had a plethora of non-Newport kids over the years, and I am pretty sure that Cooper's rosters have been speckled with some questionable "how'd he get there" players.  

I hate to admit it, but you are correct, they are within the rules.

55 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I hate to admit it, but you are correct, they are within the rules.

Fun fact Holy Cross has 4 CCH feeder school kids in their top 8.  I am not sure all their reasons for not going but they are getting to play varsity and contribute.  While Meyer played for Scott he does live in the HC feeder area.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BiggestFan said:

Everyone had Notre Dame winning the 9th Region for the girls- guess who got knocked out opening round?? 

Anything can happen.  I know it's unlikely for CovCath to lose but .....on any given day.

I think most had the girls 9th region with 4 teams who could win it. I know I did.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rjal said:

Fun fact Holy Cross has 4 CCH feeder school kids in their top 8.  I am not sure all their reasons for not going but they are getting to play varsity and contribute.  While Meyer played for Scott he does live in the HC feeder area.

I'll bite and try to explain your post further - The 4 you are referencing, 2 are Arlinghaus's (Zach & Dylan cousins) and Cade Lehmkuhl (who's Mom is an Arlinghaus) and Ryan Pulsfort. The Arlinghaus's have strong ties/siblings that went to Holy Cross going back a ways and are "strong" supporters of Holy Cross. There is a long list of them all went to HC. They were never going to CCH whether they were "good enough" or not.

Meyer played in 16 games for Scott as an 8th grader. He could have went anywhere he wanted to High School as a Freshman. All five "Northern Ky" Kids and great students at Holy Cross. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

I'll bite and try to explain your post further - The 4 you are referencing, 2 are Arlinghaus's (Zach & Dylan cousins) and Cade Lehmkuhl (who's Mom is an Arlinghaus) and Ryan Pulsfort. The Arlinghaus's have strong ties/siblings that went to Holy Cross going back a ways and are "strong" supporters of Holy Cross. There is a long list of them all went to HC. They were never going to CCH whether they were "good enough" or not.

Meyer played in 16 games for Scott as an 8th grader. He could have went anywhere he wanted to High School as a Freshman. All five "Northern Ky" Kids and great students at Holy Cross. 

Real surprised JF let Meyer get away.

Just weird to look at this bracket and not see a Holmes team on it. Those 9th region battles over the years were epic when they had a small say in it. Topic for another thread but what is going on at Holmes the past few seasons?

12 minutes ago, Finkle Ray said:

Just weird to look at this bracket and not see a Holmes team on it. Those 9th region battles over the years were epic when they had a small say in it. Topic for another thread but what is going on at Holmes the past few seasons?

Think the last regional appearance for Holmes was the 14/15 season in James Bolden's senior year. The 35th district has been tough to get out of the past 10-15 years to say the least. The one constant has been Cov Cath during that stretch. Holy Cross & Beechwood has been the 2nd team out of the district the last 7 7-8 years.

• Like 1