Brian Flores Lawsuit...

mcpapa

Everyone agrees that there is an issue and nearly everyone agrees something should be done. 

So what should be done?

Blindfold GM and Owners during interviews and hide the identity of the candidates from them until after a hiring decision is made?

Let the NFL select the only candidates to be considered, insuring black coaches are hired at an appropriate rate?

The average NFL Head Coach last 3.2 years in the position. I wonder if black coaches average length is even shorter that that or if they tend to last longer than the 3.2 year average. Flores was at the end of year 3, so he pretty much hit the normal length for an NFL Head Coach.

As stated earlier, very few coaches are hired into a good situation. Most are coming in because the team isn't performing up to the owners expectations. 

NFL owners want to win, period. If a Martian could win 12 games every year they'd hire them.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, bugatti said:

I agree. And I’m not sure what the line is between discrimination and being part of a good ole boy systemic racist culture. I genuinely feel Goodell has done everything in his power to boost the amount of minority coaches in the NFL, but owners - racist or not - are not going to be told who to hire. 

How much do you want to wager on that?......especially once theu hear about it.....

18 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

As for the point that black coaches are only getting hired into "no win" situations....

I would argue that there is no such thing as an open coaching job that ISN'T a "no-win".  

Bear with me here for a minute, because, of course, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but still, consider the following question:

Who's in more of a no-win situation?   A guy like Flores, who takes over a bottom-dwelling loser, or a guy like Tomlin, who took over the defending Super Bowl Champs?   

You can take your common sense and get the hell out!!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

If any of the allegations are true, Flores has a real point.   If the Giants, for example, had already decided on a coach before even interviewing Flores - doing so just to meet the NFL's requirements - then that is a sad state of affairs.

The problem is the backside of the coin....now, if I own a team and I have a head coaching vacancy, are you telling me that I must hire a black coach, simply because of the paucity of black head coaches?    If so, that's also a problem - and it's no better than the first because it's the SAME PROBLEM.

I feel like I've read this somewhere else recently.....

I agree, not a great look. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Everyone agrees that there is an issue and nearly everyone agrees something should be done. 

So what should be done?

Blindfold GM and Owners during interviews and hide the identity of the candidates from them until after a hiring decision is made?

Let the NFL select the only candidates to be considered, insuring black coaches are hired at an appropriate rate?

Does the players union decide an appropriate rate?  Or investors?

5 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I feel like I've read this somewhere else recently.....

I agree, not a great look. 

I think Flores is raising some valid points, but I'm not sure that a broad statement that black coaches are only hired into no-win situations is accurate.    And sweeping generalizations are usually not fair assessments, anyway.

39 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

I think Flores is raising some valid points, but I'm not sure that a broad statement that black coaches are only hired into no-win situations is accurate.    And sweeping generalizations are usually not fair assessments, anyway.

But they're very popular right now.  

47 minutes ago, All State Baseball said:

Call me crazy but this is the guy I want leading my Houston Texans. Him or Gannon would be better than McCowan. 

Josh McCown’s only coaching experience has been a brief stint in Texas HS football. Suddenly he is a finalist for an NFL gig. You can see where guys like Flores, et al. (set aside race) would get frustrated with the process.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, bugatti said:

I agree. And I’m not sure what the line is between discrimination and being part of a good ole boy systemic racist culture. I genuinely feel Goodell has done everything in his power to boost the amount of minority coaches in the NFL, but owners - racist or not - are not going to be told who to hire. 

I agree with this, short of a NFL owner losing control of who to hire I don't see what can be done.