What is the problem with Brooks?

Cary Grant

He isn't very athletic. When Kentucky plays against teams lacking athletic 3s and 4s he puts up big numbers. Against teams with size and athleticism, like Texas A&M last night, his numbers suffer. I've said before that Brooks plays like its the 1970s. A little stiff, doesn't handle the ball well against solid defenders.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

He isn't very athletic. When Kentucky plays against teams lacking athletic 3s and 4s he puts up big numbers. Against teams with size and athleticism, like Texas A&M last night, his numbers suffer. I've said before that Brooks plays like its the 1970s. A little stiff, doesn't handle the ball well against solid defenders.

Agree with all of this.

3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

LeVon Williams 2.

• Like 1

Was it the Florida game last year he came back and looked like a difference maker? That was probably his apex moment in a UK uniform, I'd say. I think it was a couple weeks ago where I said he just gets lost on the court, as in I couldn't tell you if he played 8 minutes or 38 minutes. Something just hasn't fully clicked with him.

• Like 1

I think you have to look at what he does bring, and there are things.  He understands the flow of the offense and doesn't take shots away from the true legitimate scorers on this team.  He sets a ton of screens and typically doesn't turn the ball over much (There have been some exceptions, yes).  He plays decent defense against a 3, 4 or 5 and on the odd 2 when needed.  I think fans believe he gets lost in the offense because he doesn't always look to "get his" so he lacks that scorer's mentality.  I believe he fits this team well for those reasons.  Replaceable?  Absolutely, which is actually another plus in my book.  Need a higher energy guy?  Plug in Toppin for short spurts.  Need another ball handler?  Mintz.  Need minutes for Ware or Collins?  There's your spot.  His mid-range jumper has indeed been valuable in games this year and he draws his defender out because he can shoot the three at times.  Flash?  No.  Good for this group?  I think so.

• Like 3

If Brooks was a steady rebounder would really help this team.  Your 4 cannot disappear on the boards and he does.  Yes he has improved his shot from the free throw line area, but stop shooting from the deep wings and limit the 3's.  He really needs a move down low that works for him inside to help with scoring. I really want for him to improve each year and it just hasn't really happened.  

6 hours ago, bulldog77 said:

Replaceable? Absolutely, which is actually another plus in my book. Need a higher energy guy? Plug in Toppin for short spurts. Need another ball handler? Mintz. Need minutes for Ware or Collins? There's your spot.

So every player that replaces him is better than him at that task and that's a compliment for Brooks?

Brooks seems to me to trying to hard to "Get his." Maybe, hopefully I'm wrong but that's the feeling that I get watching him sometimes. Another issue is that midrange shots he hit last year just aren't falling this year. I'm hopeful that his touch will come around this season, because I still think he can help us.

• Like 1