Pikeville to host Covington Catholic in 2022.

The Oracle

16 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Because of RPI, playing 1A team will definitely hurt RPI of Covington Catholic.   Pikeville is definitely a good opponent though.

When you are CovCath you can't worry about RPI, you have to find quality games. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 1992Rebel said:

Drive last year was brutal. Game started late. Most families didn’t get home till 4:30 am. I’m surprised they are going back.  Love the competition but couldn’t they find a neutral field in the middle somewhere?  

I understand that those drives are hard on families and the school's pocketbook. However, from a team building aspect I used to love playing these types of games; these games immediately put you and your teammates out of your comfort zone preparing you for potential long travel games during the playoffs. Also, there were some really great memories made with teammates on those long bus trips.  I can completely understand why a coach would want to schedule 1-2 of these games a year; especially when it is against a quality opponent. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1992Rebel said:

Drive last year was brutal.

Just because I was curious, Covington Catholic drove 62.8 miles round trip combined for their four other regular season road games (Elder, Beechwood, Highlands, and Conner). Forgive us if we folks in the rural areas don't shed many tears for your one long bus trip!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Just because I was curious, Covington Catholic drove 62.8 miles round trip combined for their four other regular season road games (Elder, Beechwood, Highlands, and Conner). Forgive us if we folks in the rural areas don't shed many tears for your one long bus trip!

With the exception of maybe Paintsville, Bell Co and Middlesboro, GC pretty much played teams that were within 60ish miles round trip 😏

3 minutes ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

With the exception of maybe Paintsville, Bell Co and Middlesboro, GC pretty much played teams that were within 60ish miles round trip 😏

You read it wrong. Those opponents for Covington Catholic all added together equaled 60 miles (4 trips).

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2022 at 3:05 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

Because of RPI, playing 1A team will definitely hurt RPI of Covington Catholic.   Pikeville is definitely a good opponent though.

I don't think it hurts as bad as you would think especially with a team who plays a schedule like Pikeville will. They'll have a high OWP and OOWP. 

Boyle lost to LCA and still ended up having the highest RPI in 4A and one of the highest in the state, while a team like Corbin went undefeated and had the third highest RPI in 4A. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Yeah but what would you want them to do? LOL Those are their district foes, with the exception of Cincy Elder/ Beechwood.

There's nothing wrong with it. I was pointing out that fans shouldn't complain about one long road trip when all of the other games are so close by. There are lots of teams that are forced by geography to take a long road trip 5-6 times per season.

• Like 1