Thoughts on Brian Kelly?

Voice of Reason

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Every person on this board would leave their current job immediately for another job they want and 5x the pay, let's not kid ourselves. 

I would not. If the new employer does not respect my situation enough to wait a few days, then it is not a place I want to work. Especially if I am completely financially set for life already. Values and trust must have meaning.

• Like 1

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

I would not. If the new employer does not respect my situation enough to wait a few days, then it is not a place I want to work. Especially if I am completely financially set for life already. Values and trust must have meaning.

See my clarification about being a college football coach. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This also assumes LSU told him he had to come right now. BK could have made that decision himself. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

And he reduced their chances by leaving when he did. The committee considers all factors when doing their rankings.

Was listening to ESPN radio last night when they interviewed the Committee Chair (AD from Iowa), he stated that the Rankings this week were not impacted by Kelly leaving, I think he even stated that they locked in the Rankings literally minutes before the announcement hit the wire.

He DID state though that the Rankings after this weekend COULD BE influenced by Kelly's departure on the ND final Ranking.  He used the example "if PLAYER A on a team potentially in the Playoff discussion got injured badly enough that the outlook of him playing in the Playoffs was not good, then that would influence final Rankings".....sounds like the Kenyon Martin clause.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

Either way, Kelly leaving immediately is a bad reflection on him.

If you were a parent of a kid getting recruited by Kelly, how warm and fuzzy you feeling with what story he is selling???  It just doesn't sit right with me.

Also, if you have Kelly sitting at the kitchen table trying to recruit you, that probably means your kid is pretty darn good and can probably go to another Power 5 Top program with a coach maybe with a better character than this joker.

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I was just able to watch the footage of his talk to his players at ND. Am I the only one who didn’t really have a problem with his speech? I’m not sure what everyone wants BK to say. I get that it is a low character move to let his players players find out through social media, but the speech itself was completely fine in my eyes. 

I think his speech was fine, no issue with it at all. My only issue was basically he gave the speech and then left. Didn’t really give players a chance to ask questions, and didn’t even try to stay to let the players talk to him individually or even say good bye if they wanted. That does make me question the type of relationships he had with his players, or how much he truly cares for them or not. 

He did what he thought was best for him and his family which is fine. But man these players are guys you had work hard for you and come to school to play for you, and you can’t even take the time to really just stay and talk to them if they wanted. So does make me wonder how much he truly cares for them, as it seem more just like a CEO type thing for him. He is the guy in charge, these are the guys who work for him, and that’s all they are to him. I even think Saban and Belicheck probably show a little bit more compassion to their players than him. 

7 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I think his speech was fine, no issue with it at all. My only issue was basically he gave the speech and then left. Didn’t really give players a chance to ask questions, and didn’t even try to stay to let the players talk to him individually or even say good bye if they wanted. That does make me question the type of relationships he had with his players, or how much he truly cares for them or not. 

He did what he thought was best for him and his family which is fine. But man these players are guys you had work hard for you and come to school to play for you, and you can’t even take the time to really just stay and talk to them if they wanted. So does make me wonder how much he truly cares for them, as it seem more just like a CEO type thing for him. He is the guy in charge, these are the guys who work for him, and that’s all they are to him. I even think Saban and Belicheck probably show a little bit more compassion to their players than him. 

Bingo.

Brian Kelly had a literal roster full of 18-23 year olds at Notre Dame who he personally recruited and convinced to make what is more than likely the biggest decision thus far in their lives to move to his school and play football for him in hopes of what might lead to their career in life....and then when he gets a better offer for his own personal gain (which is obviously his right to pursue), he only has all of four minutes of standing 25 feet away from all of them behind a podium and "thanking them for the opportunity to speak to them directly" before he walks out the door without letting any of them say so much as "Gonna miss you, coach."

That's not someone who honestly "loves each and every one of them" or loves them "limitlessly". That's what I think makes this all feel like such a low-life move.

Everybody leaves a job at some point in their life. That's fine. Some people leave multiple jobs in their life. Also fine. But it's how they handle things when they leave that speaks to their character.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Bingo.

Brian Kelly had a literal roster full of 18-23 year olds at Notre Dame who he personally recruited and convinced to make what is more than likely the biggest decision thus far in their lives to move to his school and play football for him in hopes of what might lead to their career in life....and then when he gets a better offer for his own personal gain (which is obviously his right to pursue), he only has all of four minutes of standing 25 feet away from all of them behind a podium and "thanking them for the opportunity to speak to them directly" before he walks out the door without letting any of them say so much as "Gonna miss you, coach."

That's not someone who honestly "loves each and every one of them" or loves them "limitlessly". That's what I think makes this all feel like such a low-life move.

Everybody leaves a job at some point in their life. That's fine. Some people leave multiple jobs in their life. Also fine. But it's how they handle things when they leave that speaks to their character.

Agreed! I honestly didn’t have much issue with him leaving until I saw his speech and how he left. I understood doing what is best for him, I understood that in today’s world it’s almost impossible to let your team know before the news breaks. I even understood why he left now, I mean it sucks for the team and would been better if he could have stayed for the bowl game or playoffs. But how college has things set up with the signing period in December, a coach almost has to leave now or else they fall behind right away in their first year. So I even understood that to an extent. However, just seeing that press conference and him just leaving as soon as it ended. Just showed that he must not have cared at all about the players, if he cared he could have stayed and just talked to them as men.

Im sure some of the conversations would have been hard, and some would be a bunch of bologna. However, I think most probably would have understood and wished him well and thanked him for his time with them. 

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #8

11 minutes ago, cincydragons said:

Yeah I can't see the committee putting ND in unless they absolutely have to.

It looks like they will be hiring Freeman and also the OC looks like he is staying. So basically keeping the coaching staff intact for the most part, should at least help some in not letting the committee use Kelly leaving against them. They obviously still need help and need either 2 and possibly 3 of the teams in front of them to lose. 

Him walking out on Notre Dame like this is pretty "on brand" for Kelly. He basically did the same thing to Cincinnati twelve years ago. 

I read somewhere that in the last 30 years, there have only been two instances of a coach leaving a team for another college job after winning 11 games or more that season. Both times, it was Kelly.

The only thing that surprises me about the last 48 hours, is that Kelly is going to LSU of all places. Nothing about that man suggests he'll enjoy eating crawfish in the swamp. He's always struck me as the type that eats pizza with a knife and fork. 

An excellent football coach, but not an honorable man. Sadly, that's par for the course in that profession.

8. Any attempt to use or suggest profanity is prohibited. This means you may not use symbols to replace some or all of the letters in a word that might otherwise be blocked by the BGP word filter. Any attempt to circumvent the word filter with general abbreviations or text message abbreviations will also be considered a violation under this rule.