Jump to content

Thoughts on Brian Kelly?


Voice of Reason
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't see another thread on Brian Kelly leaving so I will add this comment here. I believe what Kelly did leaving Notre Dame when he did is disgusting. Notre Dame has an outside shot at being in the final 4 for the championship. Leaving that team when he did is about as bad as it can get in my opinion.

ND with a 15% chance of making playoff according to 538.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Run To State said:

Never been big on Kelly, don't hate the guy, just not a big fan. I look at it for what it is, a business decision in a big, big business. It doesn't bother me one way or another. I can see how others feel about it, but at the end of the day it simply business for him.

I more or less agree with what you're saying...although I feel like Kelly has a pretty big dirtbag streak. 

I guess this is just one of the myriad of examples of how I can only laugh at the NCAA claiming they're all about "focusing on cultivating an environment that emphasizes academics, fairness and well-being across college sports" while they have their programs and coaches shuffling the deck and making multi-million dollar deals mid-season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Every person on this board would leave their current job immediately for another job they want and 5x the pay, let's not kid ourselves. 

Speaking honestly...my wife just finished her medical residency. Pediatric neurologist. She interviewed at 3 hospitals, and was contacted by headhunters for a few more, including one in Texas that was starting a new child neuro dept, and then one in Alaska and one in Idaho that both badly need pediatric neurologists. The job in Idaho was a little more than 4-1/2 times what my wife was being offered locally, and the one in Texas was offering just over 5 times as much, and the one in Alaska was almost 6 times as much. We're staying local. Wasn't even a discussion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Speaking honestly...my wife just finished her medical residency. Pediatric neurologist. She interviewed at 3 hospitals, and was contacted by headhunters for a few more, including one in Texas that was starting a new child neuro dept, and then one in Alaska and one in Idaho that both badly need pediatric neurologists. The job in Idaho was a little more than 4-1/2 times what my wife was being offered locally, and the one in Texas was offering just over 5 times as much, and the one in Alaska was almost 6 times as much. We're staying local. Wasn't even a discussion.

Congrats to you all for having those sort of options. 

I guess I could have been more direct and said "anybody on this board who was a college football coach."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Congrats to you all for having those sort of options. 

I guess I could have been more direct and said "anybody on this board who was a college football coach."

It might not be that he left that is the horrible thing, its how he did it.

The 2 min departure speech.

The denial that he would leave 7 days ago.

His opening meeting at LSU which I watched and it was so loaded with hate speech on ND, calling out that he wants to be at a Program that has the Best President, Best AD, Best Resources, Best Administration, Best Conference......  I mean they probably haven't removed his nameplate from his office yet at South Bend.

Classless

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FrankNicodemus said:

It might not be that he left that is the horrible thing, its how he did it.

The 2 min departure speech.

The denial that he would leave 7 days ago.

His opening meeting at LSU which I watched and it was so loaded with hate speech on ND, calling out that he wants to be at a Program that has the Best President, Best AD, Best Resources, Best Administration, Best Conference......  I mean they probably haven't removed his nameplate from his office yet at South Bend.

Classless

I'm not defending how he did it. I'm not sure he could have botched that any worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just able to watch the footage of his talk to his players at ND. Am I the only one who didn’t really have a problem with his speech? I’m not sure what everyone wants BK to say. I get that it is a low character move to let his players players find out through social media, but the speech itself was completely fine in my eyes. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

And he reduced their chances by leaving when he did. The committee considers all factors when doing their rankings.

There's no way the committee would ever come out and say a coach leaving affected the rankings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I was just able to watch the footage of his talk to his players at ND. Am I the only one who didn’t really have a problem with his speech? I’m not sure what everyone wants BK to say. I get that it is a low character move to let his players players find out through social media, but the speech itself was completely fine in my eyes.

I don't have a problem with the speech, in and of itself. But taken in context of the last couple of days of Brian Kelly's life, his line about "We're going to develop a relationship that'll take time. It's built on trust." ended up sounding anything but sincere.

Kind of had a Bob Baffert feel to it. Dude gets caught with a doped horse for like the umpteenth time in a handful of years, and then after whining all about how he didn't deserve his suspensions by the Arkansas Racing Commission and from Churchill-owned race tracks, he basically says, "....but what really bothers me here is how unfair this is for them to do this to the race horses (that I trained...and doped.)"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I don't have a problem with the speech, in and of itself. But taken in context of the last couple of days of Brian Kelly's life, his line about "We're going to develop a relationship that'll take time. It's built on trust." ended up sounding anything but sincere.

Kind of had a Bob Baffert feel to it. Dude gets caught with a doped horse for like the umpteenth time in a handful of years, and then after whining all about how he didn't deserve his suspensions by the Arkansas Racing Commission and from Churchill-owned race tracks, he basically says, "....but what really bothers me here is how unfair this is for them to do this to the race horses (that I trained...and doped.)"

That is totally fair. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.