Which 5A team has the best chance to beat Frederick Douglass?

theguru

1 hour ago, Johnny_Utah said:

Frederick Douglass is probably the only team that can beat them....... saying if they lose, they would beat themselves. 

These older kids (Juniors & Seniors) are carrying a lot of weight of two championship game losses & the 2018 season when they were undefeated & lost to Scott Co. by a point in the 2nd round....

Who knows how a Douglass/Male final woulda played out that year when they were 6A.

I thought Douglass had only been to championship once. Maybe  my recollection is bad though. 

I'd agree with @Johnny_Utah Since the 2018 season, Douglass has lost a total of four games by a combined score of 11 pts. 2018 by one to TTUN, game came down to a failed 2 point conversion  in the final minute. North Hardin won by two on a walkoff field goal in Cornett's first ever game with Douglass after he threw 3 picks... Owensboro held on to a 28-27 win after Cornett threw two 1st quarter picks, and Douglass missed a FG at the buzzer. 

Cov Cath was the only game that FD resoundingly lost. Michael Mayer was elite and Douglass did not have a vertical passing attack to stretch the field. 

This season? The opponent is going to have to have a resourceful coach & staff. Someone who will have a great Gameplan A, AS WELL as a great Gameplan B. Everyone is saying South Warren, I wish I could see some tape on them. Are people saying they can outscore Douglass? Or do they have an elite defense? 

I am telling you Douglass' DEFENSE is what makes them tough. Keep in mind, Ty Bryant DID NOT play against OB, he was injured.  Let alone the Dline this year is better than last years. And I believe people think the Broncos are a passing team, but they are really a running team. Ever since the loss to TTUN, they are really a ground team, that just happens to have a great receiving corp and a big armed QB.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

I'd agree with @Johnny_Utah Since the 2018 season, Douglass has lost a total of four games by a combined score of 11 pts. 2018 by one to TTUN, game came down to a failed 2 point conversion  in the final minute. North Hardin won by two on a walkoff field goal in Cornett's first ever game with Douglass after he threw 3 picks... Owensboro held on to a 28-27 win after Cornett threw two 1st quarter picks, and Douglass missed a FG at the buzzer. 

Cov Cath was the only game that FD resoundingly lost. Michael Mayer was elite and Douglass did not have a vertical passing attack to stretch the field. 

This season? The opponent is going to have to have a resourceful coach & staff. Someone who will have a great Gameplan A, AS WELL as a great Gameplan B. Everyone is saying South Warren, I wish I could see some tape on them. Are people saying they can outscore Douglass? Or do they have an elite defense? 

I am telling you Douglass' DEFENSE is what makes them tough. Keep in mind, Ty Bryant DID NOT play against OB, he was injured.  Let alone the Dline this year is better than last years. And I believe people think the Broncos are a passing team, but they are really a running team. Ever since the loss to TTUN, they are really a ground team, that just happens to have a great receiving corp and a big armed QB.

People are saying South can win because of their defense. I will say with confidence that South's defense is the best in the state against the run and that they most likely have more tackles for loss than any other team. They put the offense in a position where it's easy for them to succeed.

It wouldn't be unusual for South to have a game where they scored 35 points and had under 250 yards of total offense. In fact, if you look at South's stats for the year, you wouldn't think they have any elite players on offense. They spread the ball around in the air and on the ground and never have to go many yards to score. Their QB, Veltcamp is unquestionably one of the top players in the state. Unfortunately, South's offense has never really faced an elite defense. They've done ok against good defenses. However, the O-line is just good, not great. A strong pass rush could easily wreak havoc. 

On defense, their biggest weakness is pass coverage. Unfortunately, South has been without their best player most of the year on that side of the ball. Nobody has been successful passing though, simply because South's pass rush typically doesn't give the QB time to throw.

I think FD definitely has more individuals that are more talented. They are probably bigger and faster than South. South probably has the better coaching staff and more above average players. This would be a very close game. 

• Thanks 1

Talent has never been FD’s problem. They have had the most talent every year since they have been in 5A. The problem is playing sound football all the way through the playoffs. FD should be the favorite, but I still think South Warren will beat them. It might not be fair to FD but Male would boat race them IMO.

Can South Warren beat FD? Well anything is possible, but South Warren isn't as good as the hype. They are a very good team, but they aren't that great. If FD is as good as advertised I'd take FD no problem over South Warren. 

For anybody that wants a good measuring game that FD/Boyle County at the end of the season will be a good one to watch assuming both teams don't hold anything back. Boyle County is a better team than South Warren is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killowatt59 said:

Can South Warren beat FD? Well anything is possible, but South Warren isn't as good as the hype. They are a very good team, but they aren't that great. If FD is as good as advertised I'd take FD no problem over South Warren. 

For anybody that wants a good measuring game that FD/Boyle County at the end of the season will be a good one to watch assuming both teams don't hold anything back. Boyle County is a better team than South Warren is. 

I completely agree that the outcome of the FD vs Boyle County game will be a big indicator of how good FD actually is. I'm watching that game closely. If FD blows out Boyle, then South probably has little chance of beating them.

I'm not sure how you can say that Boyle county is better than SW though. The stats don't say that at all. Bowling Green played both teams. Although they scored on South, South's defense did a better job than Boyle County. South only allowed 10 Rushing yards and 48 Passing yards. Boyle gave up 63 and 96, respectively. South's offense put up more points against BG than Boyle as well. If anything, South and Boyle might be about equal. I'm saying that because I don't know how good Boyle's offense actually is.

I have no idea if South can beat FD. If they meet, I do know that FD will have not faced a defense as good as South's this year. And South will have not faced a defense as good as FD's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killowatt59 said:

I can't see it yet either - maybe South Warren is going to blow it all up I don't know.  it's tough to read them as they've beaten teams that are down although typically good programs:  North Hardin, McCracken, Bowling Green (although very tough schedule for BG) - all have struggled offensively.  Eastern is a decent team, Central a good win, but not an offensive team at all.  The best 2 offensive teams are Hendersonville, who upset them and Gibson Southern who is a medium size school in SW Indiana - good win and dominating, but GS doesn't have the team to run over you.  I said this early in the year, with BG down, South Warren walks into the semis (beating Christian County, BG, a South Oldham type team).  I think South Warren has the best shot to beat and compete with Freddie though.

Again, I don't think we will truly know how good they are until they are in the final 2 games.  I love the coaching there for SW, top notch.  I think the Owensboro/Graves winner has a tougher field to plow to get to semis just getting out of round 2.  That said, the semis are most likely:  Freddie, Graves/Owensboro, South Warren and the 4th is up in the air to me (Cooper/CovCath/Woodford)?  Freddie will get the easier path to the finals and Graves/Owensboro will probably be up against South Warren - right now at South Warren.  Based upon current RPI, South and  Freddie will get that home field (unless Woodford stays in the game), then Freddie D and South Warren meet at the farm in round 4  - give me Freddie there.  Let's go Woodford!