Which 5A team has the best chance to beat Frederick Douglass?

theguru

Here are the BGP 5A rankings released today:

1. Frederick Douglass vs. Great Crossing 

2. South Warren at Christian County (10/14)

3. Owensboro at #7 Graves County 

4. Woodford County vs. Collins

5. Covington Catholic at Highlands 

6. Southwestern at South Laurel 

7. Graves County vs. #3 Owensboro 

8. Cooper vs. Boone County 

9. Pulaski County vs. 3A #7 Bell County 

10. Scott County vs. Montgomery County

===================

I am going to go with South Warren having the best chance.  What do you think?  Or, how many of those teams even have the potential to beat FD?  I am thinking not many.  What do you think?

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Here are the BGP 5A rankings released today:

1. Frederick Douglass vs. Great Crossing 

2. South Warren at Christian County (10/14)

3. Owensboro at #7 Graves County 

4. Woodford County vs. Collins

5. Covington Catholic at Highlands 

6. Southwestern at South Laurel 

7. Graves County vs. #3 Owensboro 

8. Cooper vs. Boone County 

9. Pulaski County vs. 3A #7 Bell County 

10. Scott County vs. Montgomery County

===================

I am going to go with South Warren having the best chance.  What do you think?  Or, how many of those teams even have the potential to beat FD?  I am thinking not many.  What do you think?

I agree with you. NKY 5A are beating on each other physically, Scott  County appears down, and Owensboro's QB did an adios. I think FD has more athletic talent than most other teams.

1 minute ago, 9068 said:

I agree with you. NKY 5A are beating on each other physically, Scott  County appears down, and Owensboro's QB did an adios. I think FD has more athletic talent than most other teams.

Cooper and CovCath look interesting in NKY but I am not sure either one of them is good enough to handle FD this year. 

• Like 2

Frederick Douglass is probably the only team that can beat them....... saying if they lose, they would beat themselves. 

These older kids (Juniors & Seniors) are carrying a lot of weight of two championship game losses & the 2018 season when they were undefeated & lost to Scott Co. by a point in the 2nd round....

Who knows how a Douglass/Male final woulda played out that year when they were 6A.

• Like 3

Just now, Johnny_Utah said:

Frederick Douglass is probably the only team that can beat them....... saying if they lose, they would beat themselves. 

These older kids (Juniors & Seniors) are carrying a lot of weight of two championship game losses & the 2018 season when they were undefeated & lost to Scott Co. by a point in the 2nd round....

Who knows how a Douglass/Male final woulda played out that year.

How well do you think Douglass would compete with Male this year?

45 minutes ago, theguru said:

How well do you think Douglass would compete with Male this year?

I've watched Douglass, but haven't watched Male, so its unfair for me to say.  Male just seems like they are on a different level than every other team in the state though. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny_Utah said:

I've watched Douglass, but haven't watched Male, so its unfair for me to say.  Male just seems like they are on a different level than every other team in the state though. 

Fair enough.

How would you compare this Douglass team to Douglass teams of the past five years?

I think the 5A Final this year is South Warren and Frederick Douglass.

Anything can happen and some other teams will play to the end and all that,

but once Wimsatt went to Rutgers, I don't see how this doesn't happen this year without

an anomaly type game.

Both teams defenses are very good and physical and stop the run.  Both teams have good QBs and skill guys.  I know more about South's coaching than FDs and therefore tend to lean in that direction.  But I'd be shocked if these 2 weren't there in the end this year.  And no disrespect to Owensboro, but losing Wimsatt and the injury bug that seems settled at Rash Stadium; I just don't see it this season.

• Like 1