Does Mayfield stand any chance against the Top 2 in 2A??

Squirrel

8 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Thoughts?

Sure they do. Mayfield is Mayfield and often gets stronger as the season progresses. They have depth, always athletic and well coached. They also hold a place in certain team’s heads that is often worth a few points. 

• Like 1

I disagree I think Mayfield is normal 2A contender good and I think Beechwood and LCA could contend for the title in 5A. I’m not sure how they built these teams or whatever but the championship will come from one of these two teams and if I had a pick I would probably say Beechwood. 

Right now, I would say Mayfield is a 10-14 point underdog versus the top two. They are good enough to beat either one. Mayfield is strong on run defense and that matches up well for them against the top two. The top two teams are very strong running the ball. If the game is at Mayfield, that helps a lot because Mayfield's field has perhaps the highest crown I have ever seen on a football field. That is a big adjustment for visiting teams trying to throw the ball. Good passes to the sideline on a normal field will go 5 feet over the receiver's head because the crown is so high. The natural grass field is also an adjustment for visiting teams. One of the top two teams will almost certainly have to travel to Mayfield. I don't see any of the top three falling to fourth in RPI, but who knows with the KHSAA RPI system. We will get our first look at that on Monday. RPI will determine who travels to Mayfield if all three get to the semifinals. Mayfield absolutely has a chance but I don't know if they can run the gauntlet against both and win a state title, which is what they will need to do.

• Like 1

Just now, colonel-fan said:

Mayfield may not win the championship, but may play king maker. Whichever team plays/beats them in the semi's may not have enough in the tank to win it all the next week.

Or Mayfield may be the tune up game that puts either LCA or Beechwood in the best position to win in the championship. 

• theguru changed the title to Does Mayfield stand any chance against the Top 2 in 2A??