Does Mayfield stand any chance against the Top 2 in 2A??

Squirrel

2 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

It’s not comical at all. They are unknowns to me lol I really never heard of some of these schools. 

To help educate you a little, 4 of the 5 schools Mayfield has played are consistently top ten teams in their respective classes and all those schools are bigger schools.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

To help educate you a little, 4 of the 5 schools Mayfield has played are consistently top ten teams in their respective classes and all those schools are bigger schools.

Ok thanks for the info. I know about PT and Hopkinsville. I know Cov Cath and Highlands beat them both in the state finals. There are 2 schools I mentioned that I have never heard of before. 

19 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Nope I have never heard of Ballard Memorial or Madisonville North Hopkins. I know some schools merged with other schools but I have no clue how long these schools have been around. 

22 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

It’s not comical at all. They are unknowns to me lol I really never heard of some of these schools. 

Madisonville North Hopkins has been around since 1968. I can't find an open date for Ballard Memorial, but they have scores uploaded in KHAA as far back as they will go (1998-- 23 years ago), and I'm sure their history doesn't end there. 

@Colonels_Wear_Blue, you're my go to for being able to dig up literally any information. When was Ballard Memorial High School opened? 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 11:48 AM, Voice of Reason said:

Who on Mayfield schedule has been consistently a top 10 team in their class? That would mean they are making it past the second round of the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, Socially Distanced said:

Who on Mayfield schedule has been consistently a top 10 team in their class? That would mean they are making it past the second round of the playoffs.  

Over the past 5 years, McCracken County, PT, and Hopkinsville have been consistently ranked in the top 10 in there class. 

48 minutes ago, R1 sports fan said:

Over the past 5 years, McCracken County, PT, and Hopkinsville have been consistently ranked in the top 10 in there class. 

Being ranked is different than being a top 10 team. Rankings are subjective to who has a vote. None of those schools listed have been past the second round on a consistent basis. 

51 minutes ago, R1 sports fan said:

At least once maybe twice mccracken has been "ranked" in the top 5-10 and lost in the first round of the playoffs to a #4 seed.. rankings are good for nothing but debate imo. 

1 hour ago, R1 sports fan said:

Since 2010, Hoptown is 62-67, and has only had 4 winning seasons in that time frame. Hardly a perennial top 10 team.

The last 5 seasons, they are 26-21.

Artose Pinner and Deontey Kenner aren’t walking through that door.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Since 2010, Hoptown is 62-67, and has only had 4 winning seasons in that time frame. Hardly a perennial top 10 team.

Pinner was amazing! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Socially Distanced said:

Being ranked is different than being a top 10 team. Rankings are subjective to who has a vote. None of those schools listed have been past the second round on a consistent basis. 

I would say most the time those teams were top 10, but 7-10. The bigger issue for Mayfield is their geography, they don't have historical contenders Covington Catholic and are not an hour from the greater Lexington area. It has hurt Mayfield that both teams in McCracken County(MC and PT) are not nearly as good as they could be. The closest state championship caliber teams are all in Warren County or east, a 2 and a half hour plus drive from War Memorial stadium. While it would help the cardinals to have some long road games, it is not practical to make an entire schedule out of those games.  

1 hour ago, Socially Distanced said:

At least once maybe twice mccracken has been "ranked" in the top 5-10 and lost in the first round of the playoffs to a #4 seed.. rankings are good for nothing but debate imo. 

Yes McCracken has been a 1 seed that has lost in the first round to a 4 seed twice, now to be totally fair I do believe both teams they lost to were also top 10 Teams. In 2014 McCracken lost 35-20 to DuPont Manual, who has lost to Male 28-21, Trinity 14-3 in the regular season, and then lost to Saint X 12-7 in the Second round. Then in 2016, McCracken played PRP lost 34-10( admittedly the game was not close the last quarter and a half), who lost to Male 24-27 in the second round. The PRP loss was admittedly worse, but it would be a stretch to call both of those bad loses. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Neutral said:

Mayfield will be a team you don't want to meet in the playoffs. As far as winning it all, that's tough. Next year, I definitely see them as the team to beat because of what they are returning. I might be wrong but I just can't see it at the moment.

I figured this year was their best shot. Are they not losing basically every skill position this year?

1 hour ago, gbballfan21 said:

I know one of them went to UC or did both of them go there?