Does Mayfield stand any chance against the Top 2 in 2A??

Squirrel

6 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

The schedule is the schedule Mayfield has played these teams for years.  Beechwood schedule is no better or worse than ours. Mayfield may have played a slightly better schedule than Beechwood. 

You have your opinion and I have mine. I think Beechwood’s is better. Some of these schools I have never even heard of. 

I would say beechwood has played a schedule that on the surface looks much harder then Mayfield’s, given the name recognition of the teams they played. In reality, Beechwood has not played the toughest schedule, and neither has Mayfield. The only thing that is abundantly clear to me is that LCA has easily the 2 most impressive wins in 2A, beating Boyle County, and then dominating Lex Cath.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R1 sports fan said:

I would say beechwood has played a schedule that on the surface looks much harder then Mayfield’s, given the name recognition of the teams they played. In reality, Beechwood has not played the toughest schedule, and neither has Mayfield. The only thing that is abundantly clear to me is that LCA has easily the 2 most impressive wins in 2A, beating Boyle County, and then dominating Lex Cath.

Yeah without a doubt they have! 

7 hours ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

The schedule is the schedule Mayfield has played these teams for years.  Beechwood schedule is no better or worse than ours. Mayfield may have played a slightly better schedule than Beechwood. 

No one Mayfield has played has more than 2 wins besides Graves. The only win PTHS has is over McCracken, the only win McCracken has is over Marshall. West KY is down this year, it is not Mayfield's fault, they are good as usual. In my opinion Beechwood has played and dominated a better schedule at this point. They have averaged more points and given up fewer points. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

It is interesting looking at the Beechwood and Mayfield schedules and scores to date. Their opponents line up very similar and their strength of schedule is almost exactly the same because of that. I will list the opponents for each team from best to worst and the scores of those games. I am using calpreps.com to make the comparison:

Beechwood .........................................Mayfield

#1708 Covington Catholic 27-7 ........#1701 Graves County 35-21

#2461 Paintsville 49-0 .......................#3615 Paducah Tilghman 42-28

#4262 Simon Kenton 49-21 ..............#3683 Hopkinsville 21-3

#6961 Fairdale 35-0 ..........................#5554 McCracken County 32-14

#7443 Somerset 49-0 .......................#7209 Calloway County 56-13

In every game at each level of opponent strength, Beechwood's win is by a wider margin. The one level where I would give the edge to Mayfield is their win over McCracken County versus Beechwood's win over Fairdale because McCracken is a stronger opponent.  

Beechwood's defense is showing significantly more strength giving up 5.6 points per game to Mayfield's 15.8. Offensively it is closer but Beechwood is averaging 41.8 points per game and Mayfield is averaging 37.2. Overall calpreps.com has Beechwood rated at 35.6 to Mayfield's 22.1. That is a pretty big advantage. Let's see how the KHSAA RPI ranks them when the numbers come out Monday.

RPI does not take scoring margin into consideration.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cobraxx said:

RPI does not take scoring margin into consideration.

4 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

What do they go by? How would it work if Beechwood and Mayfield are tied in the RPI to see who gets second? 

I provided that data for informational purposes, not as a breakdown of KHSAA RPI. 

KHSAA RPI is focused on wins and what class your opponent is in. It also includes on a lesser impact the record of the teams you beat.

21 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

You have your opinion and I have mine. I think Beechwood’s is better. Some of these schools I have never even heard of. 

image.png.786a653f3ef0b424542409742cbe482b.png

Some of the schools above you've never heard of? You need to look past NKY and Greater Cincinnati football. 

I'm a NKY guy, rooting for as many NKY titles as we can have, but to act like those are the schools of the poor and unknown is comical. I agree their opponents overall record may not be great this year, but let's not act like they're unknowns lol. 

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Some of the schools above you've never heard of? You need to look past NKY and Greater Cincinnati football. 

I'm a NKY guy, rooting for as many NKY titles as we can have, but to act like those are the schools of the poor and unknown is comical. I agree their opponents overall record may not be great this year, but let's not act like they're unknowns lol. 

It’s not comical at all. They are unknowns to me lol I really never heard of some of these schools. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

How do I view the RPI rankings?

https://khsaa.org/rpi_details/?event_id=1188

1. LCA

2. Mayfield 

3. Beechwood 

Beechwood has a 6A opponent left. Mayfield has a 4A opponent left. If Beechwood beats Dixie Heights in two weeks and is behind Mayfield after that, then Beechwood has no chance to get to #2 in KHSAA RPI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Nope I have never heard of Ballard Memorial or Madisonville North Hopkins. I know some schools merged with other schools but I have no clue how long these schools have been around. 

• Like 1