Covington Catholic at Beechwood Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Beechwood
    • Covington Catholic

When HS teams are within competitive  range otherwise, a top QB is major.  HS defenses just struggle to cover the field if he has any time to throw  and an arm to hit the routes.  Add in mobility and it’s a super advantage. CCH has a very good D. But I’m not sure the offense can put the points necessary when the D does get stops.  
If BW wins its will primarily be attributed to Cam being there   If CCH wins it will be a credit primarily to Eddie and the coaches   IMO 

But it’s HS and any given Friday...

• Like 1

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums. All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

12 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

Take away Cam and Beechwood is not nearly on the same level as CCH…that’s just reality. I watched them in person a couple times last year and the entire offense revolves around Cam. Your score prediction may be accurate but without Cam CCH wins comfortably.

That was last year.

12 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

Take away Cam and Beechwood is not nearly on the same level as CCH…that’s just reality. I watched them in person a couple times last year and the entire offense revolves around Cam. Your score prediction may be accurate but without Cam CCH wins comfortably.

...but he does play for the Beechies? 

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

That was last year.

Well yeah. I believe he is the teams leading rusher in addition to being QB so far this year. My point is that he is that good and elevates the team. Just don't think they would be near the same level without him. Should be a good game regardless. 

Topic one - players redoing a year.

The only story line on this topic in this year's game is Cam. He is the only Beechwood senior coming back for another year. Every other player on the field for Beechwood Friday night would be there this year if they did not choose to redo a year. 

On the redo year in general - the KHSAA has an age rule that is still in force and did not change from previous years. From that longstanding rule, to my knowledge all Beechwood players are within the rule. There aren't going to be any 20 year olds playing for Beechwood or any other team in the state. I see little difference between the redo rule and players choosing to redo their 6th, 7th or 8th grade year, which has happened for years. There is another team in the state that has a large group of players who repeated their 8th grade year together. Is that any different? The only difference in my mind is a player repeated a year while in high school versus before entering high school. All these players from previous years and the redo rule year have to meet the same age requirement rule that has been in place for years. So let's not act like these are 20 year olds taking the field this year or in future years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Well yeah. I believe he is the teams leading rusher in addition to being QB so far this year. My point is that he is that good and elevates the team. Just don't think they would be near the same level without him. Should be a good game regardless. 

And you have no idea who the starting QB would be and how the team would look without Cam. I agree, Cam is a difference maker and the team offense would likely look different without him. No doubt about that. But I won't say Beechwood would have little or no chance without him. The defense has looked great and Cam doesn't play defense. There are other talented offensive threats who would need to step up on offense to take up the slack for no Cam, but there are players who could do that. And the play calling would likely be very different. Even the offensive sets would change. Too many factors to say Beechwood would have little or no chance without Cam.

8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The only story line on this topic in this year's game is Cam. He is the only Beechwood senior coming back for another year. Every other player on the field for Beechwood Friday night would be there this year if they did not choose to redo a year. 

On the redo year in general - the KHSAA has an age rule that is still in force and did not change from previous years. From that longstanding rule, to my knowledge all Beechwood players are within the rule. There aren't going to be any 20 year olds playing for Beechwood or any other team in the state. I see little difference between the redo rule and players choosing to redo their 6th, 7th or 8th grade year, which has happened for years. There is another team in the state that has a large group of players who repeated their 8th grade year together. Is that any different? The only difference in my mind is a player repeated a year while in high school versus before entering high school. All these players from previous years and the redo rule year have to meet the same age requirement rule that has been in place for years. So let's not act like these are 20 year olds taking the field this year or in future years.

So student- athletes entering their senior school year as 17 turning 18 (or 18-19) before graduating in May is no difference than someone entering their school senior year at 19 then turning 20 graduating in May? 🤔

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Obviously still within the rules, but let's not act like there is no difference or huge advantage between a kid being held back in lower grades, possibly because of being undersized or struggling in school, to high school kids doing it primarily for football reasons. And to have Cam, who just won Mr. Football doing it, you cant seriously believe that is just like some undersized 6th grader repeating. I say embrace it! Beechwood will likely be crazy good the next few years, with all the kids they have repeating across classes. 

2 minutes ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

So student- athletes entering their senior school year as 17 turning 18 (or 18-19) before graduating in May is no difference than someone entering their school senior year at 19 then turning 20 graduating in May? 🤔

Exactly, take a kid with a September Birthday, who didn't turn 17 until that Sept. in his Senior year, he would be a Sophmore in college before turning 19. You could have kids who could technically be young sophmores in college, if they have August or September bdays, playing this year as high school seniors. 

1 minute ago, BlueKernels said:

Obviously still within the rules, but let's not act like there is no difference or huge advantage between a kid being held back in lower grades, possibly because of being undersized or struggling in school, to high school kids doing it primarily for football reasons. And to have Cam, who just won Mr. Football doing it, you cant seriously believe that is just like some undersized 6th grader repeating. I say embrace it! Beechwood will likely be crazy good the next few years, with all the kids they have repeating across classes. 

What if that 6th grader turns out to be Mr. Football? The only difference is what year the athlete repeated.

There was a high level D1 QB in N. Ky. several years ago that repeated a middle school year. Nobody said much about it.