Covington Catholic at Beechwood Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Beechwood
    • Covington Catholic

10 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

How do you define struggle? What about an A student who got B's last year?  Or even an A+ student who got A-. Those numbers could make a big difference in where a kid goes to college. 

I would define not struggling as anyone who repeats senior year but only stays for half of it and graduate in December. Gotta stick to talk about the game though... and apparently Mr. Football being back for a 5th year will not impact the game so we should just focus on things that will. 

To that point; I think for CCH to win they must keep the Beechwood QB in the pocket, shut down running lanes, and force him to throw quickly without scrambling. Which will be a tough task, however, CCH secondary, especially Agee and Mason, were really solid last week so they should be up to the task. CCH will have to be more consistent in the passing game and take advantage of underneath routes to compliment the run game. 

Just now, BlueKernels said:

To that point; I think for CCH to win they must keep the Beechwood QB in the pocket, shut down running lanes, and force him to throw quickly without scrambling. Which will be a tough task, however, CCH secondary, especially Agee and Mason, were really solid last week so they should be up to the task. CCH will have to be more consistent in the passing game and take advantage of underneath routes to compliment the run game. 

Agree, my defensive game plan would be to make Hergott beat me throwing the ball.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueKernels said:

Of course not! In his rights to do so. Just think it is crazy to repeat for sports reasons and the rule should have been geared towards those who really struggled academically. But, the rule allows anyone who's district/school allows it, so it is what it is. 

Rules are the rules!  Rules state that kids from Ohio can live in Ohio and play sports in Kentucky (not all Kentucky schools enjoy the same opportunity).  You are correct when you say "it is what it is".

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

I would define not struggling as anyone who repeats senior year but only stays for half of it and graduate in December. Gotta stick to talk about the game though... and apparently Mr. Football being back for a 5th year will not impact the game so we should just focus on things that will. 

The key on defense to the game. Trevor Wilson needs to play his A game and we need to push the pocket to make Cam uncomfortable. I think our secondary is much improved from what they saw last year. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, theguru said:

Do we think the Beechwood defense is better than the Dixie defense?  

CCH scored 24 on Dixie. 

It will be interesting to see. The Dixie D was tough... CCH started to wear them down in 2nd half but they were really strong for most of the game. 

• Thanks 1

Key to the game on offense is staying ahead of the chains. If we’re consistently in 2nd and 3rd and long, it’s going to be a tough night. We need to play complimentary football and get into a lot of 3rd and 4th and shorts and convert to keep BW’s offense off the field and drain the clock. If we win, the score is going to be in the low 20’s. If the game script gets into the 30’s I have a hard time seeing us get the W. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, feelingit said:

Rules are the rules!  Rules state that kids from Ohio can live in Ohio and play sports in Kentucky (not all Kentucky schools enjoy the same opportunity).  You are correct when you say "it is what it is".

The rules are the same for all Kentucky high schools whether we are talking about the SSYP, out of state students, or out of district students.  Some schools choose not to participate but again the rules are the same for all Kentucky high schools.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, theguru said:

Agree, my defensive game plan would be to make Hergott beat me throwing the ball.  

Specifically from the pocket... which is something he can do, but Hergott improvising and giving himself a run/pass option on the edges is when he's at his best, imo. He obviously has great mobility and runs with a lot of physicality for a quarterback. Then you factor in how well he throws on the run. He's hard to handle when he's on the go.

CovCath's edge guys are going to be critical on Friday.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

Take away Cam and Beechwood is not nearly on the same level as CCH…that’s just reality. I watched them in person a couple times last year and the entire offense revolves around Cam. Your score prediction may be accurate but without Cam CCH wins comfortably.

It’s all theoretical, but No way they win comfortably in that scenario.  Who, I say who, on CovCath is a scoring threat on every play?  No one. That would be the case as well for Beechwood in the scenario you propose. And in that scenario, I’ll take Beechwood’s defense anyway of the week brother. ✌️

Keys to the game for me.

1. Can Beechwood estalish a running game early?

2. Can Beechwood stop CCH from running the ball and controlling the clock?

3. Can Beechwood defense control the edges and take away Eviston's number one objective on offense - make the defense cover sideline to sideline? Eviston likes to go wide on offense.

4. Can CCH keep Hergott in the pocket?

Bottom line as always in this game is whether Beechwood can match up with CCH in the trenches? When Beechwood can hold their own in the trenches, they have a chance to win.

• Like 1