Covington Catholic at Beechwood Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Beechwood
    • Covington Catholic

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am going to say 24-14 Beechwood. 

I think Beechwood gets the win. It could be 17-14 or 24-21, but the final score should be somewhere in that range. I will be surprised if Beechwood scores more than 28. I will be surprised if Cov Cath scores more than 21. 

I hope you're right VoR, I am ready to hear:

For perspective (and perhaps a reality check for some overenthusiastic Beechwood fans) the last win for Beechwood over Cov Cath was 2014, a 28-13 win at Cov Cath. I call that the Brett Slusher game as he was absolutely amazing and almost single handedly led Beechwood to the win. Slusher returned a a kickoff for a TD, scored two TD's on receptions, intercepted a pass and was even more dynamic on defense making sacks and key plays from his linebacker slot.

The last home win for Beechwood over Cov Cath was 2008 by a score of 35-21. That 2008 team was loaded for Beechwood with multiple D1 athletes and went on to win their second consecutive state title. One of the key players on that team was Brady Slusher.

As I look at this year's team, I see things in common with those two teams. This team has multiple D1 scholarship players. This team has studs at the line of scrimmage, like those two teams did. And this team has a Slusher, cousin Luke who is a D1 commit to WKU.

• Like 1

1978 - Beechwood (Barre) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 8-6
1979 - Beechwood (Barre) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 34-7
1980 - Beechwood (Barre) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 26-14
1981 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 6-0
1982 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 47-9
1983 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 12-0
1984 - Teams Did Not Play
1985 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 21-14 (OT)
1986 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 14-13
1987 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 22-0
1988 - Beechwood (Barre) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 14-10
1989 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 17-7
1990 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Barre) 20-12
1991 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 42-21
1992 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Yeagle) 53-9
1993 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Yeagle) 33-12
1994 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 19-10
1995 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 14-13
1996 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 2-13
1997 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 28-23
1998 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 24-21 (OT)
1999 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 26-0
2000 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 4-0
2001 - Teams Did Not Play
2002 - Teams Did Not Play
2003 - Beechwood (Yeagle) beats Cov Cath (Ray) 24-7
2004 - Cov Cath (Ray) beats Beechwood (Yeagle) 26-25
2005 - Cov Cath (Rodenberg) beats Beechwood (Yeagle) 28-14
2006 - Cov Cath (Rodenberg) beats Beechwood (Rash) 34-0
2007 - Cov Cath (Brossart) beats Beechwood (Rash) 14-7
2008 - Beechwood (Rash) beats Cov Cath (Brossart) 35-21
2009 - Cov Cath (Wirth) beats Beechwood (Rash) 43-14
2010 - Cov Cath (Wirth) beats Beechwood (Rash) 24-21
2011 - Cov Cath (Wirth) beats Beechwood (Rash) 40-28
2012 - Cov Cath (Wirth) beats Beechwood (Rash) 41-6
2013 - Cov Cath (Wirth) beats Beechwood (Rash) 28-7
2014 - Beechwood (Rash) beats Cov Cath (Wirth) 28-13
2015 - Cov Cath (Eviston) beats Beechwood (Rash) 41-21
2016 - Cov Cath (Eviston) beats Beechwood (Rash) 44-10
2017 - Cov Cath (Eviston) beats Beechwood (Rash) 45-9
2018 - Cov Cath (Eviston) beats Beechwood (Rash) 49-14
2019 - Cov Cath (Eviston) beats Beechwood (Rash) 49-3
2020 - Cov Cath (Eviston) beats Beechwood (Rash) 19-17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theguru said:

On the potential video broadcast, when you go to https://chatterboxsports.com/ now you will see a link at the top of the page for a 725pm start.

Thom Brennaman on the call for Chatterbox Sports tonight.

Ya know, he got in trouble once for using a disparaging epithet for a certain type of people. And Cov Cath, being an all-male school, frequently has people apply that same disparaging epithet to them. Let's just all hope that Thom keeps the broadcast clean.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Thom Brennaman on the call for Chatterbox Sports tonight.

Ya know, he got in trouble once for using a disparaging epithet for a certain type of people. And Cov Cath, being an all-male school, frequently has people apply that same disparaging epithet to them. Let's just all hope that Thom keeps the broadcast clean.

giphy.gif

Shaking Head Disappointed GIF - Shaking Head Disappointed GIFs

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gcbleedblue said:

I have no horse in this race and it will probably never impact my team, but I want Beechwood to clock Covington after reading this thread. 

That was a knee jerk reaction. I don’t want that because the players can’t control what people type on here. I hope it’s a hard fought game and both teams play well, but sheesh!

6 minutes ago, gcbleedblue said:

I have no horse in this race and it will probably never impact my team, but I want Beechwood to clock Covington after reading this thread. 

4 minutes ago, gcbleedblue said:

That was a knee jerk reaction. I don’t want that because the players can’t control what people type on here. I hope it’s a hard fought game and both teams play well, but sheesh!

I am a big fan of both teams but some of the complaining in this thread is rich. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For those CCH fans who are saying make Hergott beat you passing the ball, Beechwood has not needed to throw the ball a lot this year but here are the numbers:

Hergott has completed 69.1% of his passes on the season. He has thrown for 770 yards and is averaging 20.26 yards per completion. He has 8 touchdown passes and 0 interceptions. 

WR Parker Mason is averaging 29.6 yards per catch and Mitchell Berger is averaging 26.3 yards per catch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

For perspective (and perhaps a reality check for some overenthusiastic Beechwood fans) the last win for Beechwood over Cov Cath was 2014, a 28-13 win at Cov Cath. I call that the Brett Slusher game as he was absolutely amazing and almost single handedly led Beechwood to the win. Slusher returned a a kickoff for a TD, scored two TD's on receptions, intercepted a pass and was even more dynamic on defense making sacks and key plays from his linebacker slot.

The last home win for Beechwood over Cov Cath was 2008 by a score of 35-21. That 2008 team was loaded for Beechwood with multiple D1 athletes and went on to win their second consecutive state title. One of the key players on that team was Brady Slusher.

As I look at this year's team, I see things in common with those two teams. This team has multiple D1 scholarship players. This team has studs at the line of scrimmage, like those two teams did. And this team has a Slusher, cousin Luke who is a D1 commit to WKU.

CCH has some D1 guys as well for what it's worth. Will be a great game. 

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

For those CCH fans who are saying make Hergott beat you passing the ball, Beechwood has not needed to throw the ball a lot this year but here are the numbers:

Hergott has completed 69.1% of his passes on the season. He has thrown for 770 yards and is averaging 20.26 yards per completion. He has 8 touchdown passes and 0 interceptions. 

WR Parker Mason is averaging 29.6 yards per catch and Mitchell Berger is averaging 26.3 yards per catch.

I am a Beechwood fan saying it but exactly, it is Beechwood's first real game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

I would still think that is the best game plan for CCH. The 4 teams Beechwood has played so far this year have a combine 2 wins, so I'm not sure how much to take out of the stat's put up thus far. Doesn't mean CCH will win, but they will be the best team that Beechwood has played so far by a wide margin. 

• Like 2