Belfry 72 Russell 65

Belfry is a good team and played well. They were making their shots and did not miss many. Russel did not play their normal good defense and allowed Belfry to have a lot of open shots. Seemed like Russell's legs were tired after 4 games in 4 days and they did not move well on defense. Russell was ahead in the first quarter until Fortman had to sit out for most of the first half due to having 3 quick fouls called against her (Will not blame the refs because Russell's defense hurt it more, but fouls were 1 for Belfry and 8 for Russell in the middle of the first half). Belfry then went ahead by about 12 but Russell cut it down to 5 at half with some good shooting by Sam Sparks and Chinwe.

Russell kept it close until the near the end. They played well in the second half with Fortman having 19 in the second half, Chinwe was hitting and so was Sparks but they let Belfry keep on having open shots and Belfry was only too happy to make them.

Besides his defensive letdown today, Russell is starting to play very well as a team. They are not forcing their passes and shots as much as earlier in the year and are being more patient in waiting for good open and high percentage shots themselves or working it inside. Adkins and Simpson also had good tounaments and are getting better each game. They are also both very strong on defense. The bench is getting more time each game and are feeling more comfortable and are contributing.

Belfry shot 5 more free throws than Russell did, and as far as the tired excuse goes Belfry played four games also. Give credit to were credit is due Belfry had alot more speed and created the open shots. Belfry has a nice team and will seriously make a run in the 15th. I have seen every team and by the end of the year makr it down this will be the team to beat. Belfry forced Russell into 23 turnover and only committed 13 theirself. And Russell was bigger at every position and only outrebounded Belfry by 4. That is your ball game. Also congrats to Paige Thacker, she is a girl that needs to step up and be physcial. She is a 6'0 Sophomore center and tonight she scored 14 points. Russell has a great team, but when this Belfry team plays together they are for real.

...and as far as the tired excuse goes Belfry played four games also. Give credit to were credit is due...

I don't know that was so much an excuse as it was an observation. I believe

Bf1 did say Belfry was a good team that played well. An excuse would have

been more along the lines of "Well, Russell should have won, but they were

tired from 6 games in the last 9 days and played in a much harder pool than

Belfry did. They also had to travel farther than Belfry. Further, the refs just

blew the game. Belfry just got lucky to play Russell on an off day." The fact

of the matter was Belfry was the better team yesterday, but a second game

has a very good chance of turning out differently. (That's what makes high

school basketball fun!) This is a big win for Belfry, and if Russell had to lose

at some point, I'm sure that they're glad they lost to a good team. And although

Merle would surely like a 12-0 record, he's probably not too disappointed in 11-1.

Big upset?

A lukewarm to kind of spicy upset. Belfry has outscored opponents by an

average of 22.75 points per game in games they have won. Their only loss

was the first game of the season by one point. They are probably underrated.

I don't know that the Lady Devils expected to have a perfect record for even

the first half of the season.

This week begs the questions, "Will Russell move up, move down, or stay

about the same in the BGP polls?" And "Will Belfry make an appearance in the

top 20."

I think the Magoffin County win will boost the Lady Devils more than the

Belfry loss will hurt them, especially if Belfry moves into the Top 20.